Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Wow, common sense from a politician?

Notices

Wow, common sense from a politician?

Old 01-20-2011, 08:14 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Turks and Caicos Island
Posts: 7,537
Default Wow, common sense from a politician?

I somehow find myself pretty much in agreement with a Mexican politician, fer chrissake....

This guy says it makes sense to legalize drugs.

http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...040882,00.html

I must be getting mellow in my old age.
Gringo is offline  
Old 01-20-2011, 08:20 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
bsmit24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Republic of West Florida
Posts: 17,695
Default

Ending prohibition certainly seems to have helped to end the violence associated with smuggling alcohol and it seems to be working out for Portugal
bsmit24 is offline  
Old 01-20-2011, 09:21 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 9,624
Default

I have said for years it would make sense to legalize them and let the government make tax dollars on it instead of spending billions on trying to fight it
davidkuhlmann is offline  
Old 01-20-2011, 09:24 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Turks and Caicos Island
Posts: 7,537
Default

Doesn't make sense to let the violent criminals run the drug business while basically anyone over a certain age can legally purchase and consume the mind and behavior altering drug ethanol as often as they please. Despite years of studies supporting both short and long term affects of ethanol abuse, it remains legally accessible.

And it causes a whole lot of damage.
Gringo is offline  
Old 01-20-2011, 12:07 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
bsmit24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Republic of West Florida
Posts: 17,695
Default

Gringo,

Both out of curiosity and to bump this thread, how does/do expats get their news about home/US? Internet, newspaper from home, updates from family, etc or is it included as part of the local news? Such as AP stories in the local paper.
bsmit24 is offline  
Old 01-20-2011, 12:09 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Hammond, LA
Posts: 17,418
Default

how's the weed in TCI?
cgrand is offline  
Old 01-20-2011, 12:29 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Turks and Caicos Island
Posts: 7,537
Default

Originally Posted by bsmit24 View Post
Gringo,

Both out of curiosity and to bump this thread, how does/do expats get their news about home/US? Internet, newspaper from home, updates from family, etc or is it included as part of the local news? Such as AP stories in the local paper.
The local newspapers come out roughly once a week. And I mean very roughly. Ten days is probably closer to average, unless theres a holiday in there. then it stretches out. There are usually a few international news stories in the papers, but it's days old.

I read a bunch of news daily on the internet. I am looking up at my list of "Favorite Places" and see that I read "Newser", "Fox", "AOL News", "CNN" and "BBC".

Most people who live in the main areas on the island have cable TV which includes both international and local news options. We don't have cable where we live ( nor town water, or pavement) so we have a sat tv system.

Probably stay pretty well informed.
Gringo is offline  
Old 01-20-2011, 01:38 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Downeast, North Carolina
Posts: 6,131
Default

Originally Posted by davidkuhlmann View Post
I have said for years it would make sense to legalize them and let the government make tax dollars on it instead of spending billions on trying to fight it
I agree!!!!

I've lost friends to drugs. I've helped 10's of people get clean when they wanted to. I have two family members that were heroin addicts. Nothing would have stopped these people from getting the drugs. I could leave my VERY rural house right now and come back within the hour with just about any drug available.

Drugs are the food of terrorism. Talk to any of the guys that have spent time in the middle east, they'll tell ya. Make it legal, control it, tax it and solve a whole lot of problems by putting a lot of bad people out of business.

For those who don't want their kids exposed to drugs, you're in trouble. Get your head out of the sand and start educating yourself.
davedowneast is offline  
Old 01-20-2011, 02:08 PM
  #9  
Joe
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Mt Pleasant, SC
Posts: 15,954
Default

I guess I am naive, cause if I wanted to buy anything stronger than everclear, I'd have no idea where to go to buy it...much less what I'd do with it once I got it. Maybe I should ask some of the local high schoolers?

That said, I feel like I missed something by never smoking dope or doing coke. Sure, I've drank an ocean of beer and liquor, but it seems my friends all have great stories of getting high, and the stuff they did while being high. I'm sure it messes a lot of folks up..but everyone I know who were casual users in high school and college seemed to survive ok. Seems like a big deal is made of it.

One day, when I get older and retire (lol...as if that will ever happen), I'm going to do all the drugs I've always been afraid to do/ can't do now because of job drug tests. I plan on being the biggest stoner there is. And if it kills me, chances are I didn't have that much longer to live anyway.
Joe is offline  
Old 01-20-2011, 02:17 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
bsmit24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Republic of West Florida
Posts: 17,695
Default

Not to dissuade you but I believe this thread is directed at the futility of prohibition and the harmful side effects that come with prohibition and not necessarily to promote the use of these drugs.
bsmit24 is offline  
Old 01-20-2011, 02:23 PM
  #11  
Joe
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Mt Pleasant, SC
Posts: 15,954
Default

Originally Posted by bsmit24 View Post
Not to dissuade you but I believe this thread is directed at the futility of prohibition and the harmful side effects that come with prohibition and not necessarily to promote the use of these drugs.
The thought of being an old age stoner isn't something I came up with because of this thread. I've been thinking about this for about 20 years or so.
Joe is offline  
Old 01-20-2011, 04:35 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: North Georgia Mountains
Posts: 746
Default

I been saying for years to anyone who would listen, we need to legalize, tax and make drugs available. Tobacco and alcohol are prime examples of two drugs which are controlled and taxed. To the people who are in favor of the status quo, you need to ask yourself where are we going and when will we get there. The answer is, the total removal of drugs from our society and NEVER!! Wasn't prohibition, the noble experiment, enough of a failure to make you see the bigger picture? We're trying to legislate morality. Whores and drug pushers have been with us since biblical times and will be with us forever if we continue on our present course. I've heard all the arguments from the time I was born and today at the age of 65, I am not a drug user nor an alcoholic. Those who will be users or imbibers will be no matter how many rules you pass against it. And yes, I'm a 2nd Admendment believer and have my CCP, so I guess overall, I'm just a real bad guy, aren't I?
horsepen is offline  
Old 01-20-2011, 05:10 PM
  #13  
Joe
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Mt Pleasant, SC
Posts: 15,954
Default

Originally Posted by horsepen View Post
I been saying for years to anyone who would listen, we need to legalize, tax and make drugs available. Tobacco and alcohol are prime examples of two drugs which are controlled and taxed. To the people who are in favor of the status quo, you need to ask yourself where are we going and when will we get there. The answer is, the total removal of drugs from our society and NEVER!! Wasn't prohibition, the noble experiment, enough of a failure to make you see the bigger picture? We're trying to legislate morality. Whores and drug pushers have been with us since biblical times and will be with us forever if we continue on our present course. I've heard all the arguments from the time I was born and today at the age of 65, I am not a drug user nor an alcoholic. Those who will be users or imbibers will be no matter how many rules you pass against it. And yes, I'm a 2nd Admendment believer and have my CCP, so I guess overall, I'm just a real bad guy, aren't I?

I don't know. If pot were legal and I could buy it at the local convenience store, I'd probably smoke it. The main reason i don't is because of drug tests.

If liquor/beer became illegal, I doubt I'd start drinking white lightning or look for black market beer at 3 times the price. I'd probably just stop drinking.
Joe is offline  
Old 01-20-2011, 06:47 PM
  #14  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,069
Default

Originally Posted by davedowneast View Post
I agree!!!!

I've lost friends to drugs. I've helped 10's of people get clean when they wanted to. I have two family members that were heroin addicts. Nothing would have stopped these people from getting the drugs. I could leave my VERY rural house right now and come back within the hour with just about any drug available.

Drugs are the food of terrorism. Talk to any of the guys that have spent time in the middle east, they'll tell ya. Make it legal, control it, tax it and solve a whole lot of problems by putting a lot of bad people out of business.

For those who don't want their kids exposed to drugs, you're in trouble. Get your head out of the sand and start educating yourself.
Just using dave's quote but not directed to him at all...

I may be a little old school and naive, but...If you do not want your kids exposed to drugs or trouble.... pay attention to them, be aware of their friends, schedules, and what they do on their free time, or do not let them have free time, get them in to some sport or hobby... basically TAKE THE FRICKING TIME TO RISE THEM RIGHT!!!

just because it's illegal does not mean is not easily available for any kid now a days...

just saying....
emudryj is offline  
Old 01-20-2011, 08:24 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Downeast, North Carolina
Posts: 6,131
Default

"Just using dave's quote but not directed to him at all..."

Actually, you are agreeing with what I meant with the end of my post.

People need to take responsibility for their actions. Children need to be taught by example. For everyone that's out drinking and driving a (vehicle or boat), don't ask why your child died drinking. For all the smokers that out live their children that die from cancer, don't cry to me.

There's probably not much that I haven't done in my life, thank God I didn't kill someone and I was just a social partaker. Now, I don't drink outside of where I'm staying unless I'm not driving and I leave my conceal carry home.
davedowneast is offline  
Old 01-21-2011, 07:21 PM
  #16  
aln
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: West America
Posts: 3,640
Default

Why don't they have a hotel in Vegas where you can get whatever you please and hang out with your friends. Then sober up and leave. You sign a waiver and get some reasonable quantity and get baked. So what, big deal. You can get killed skiing too.
aln is offline  
Old 01-22-2011, 07:15 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
spraynet 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sanford, FL
Posts: 7,209
Default

Originally Posted by emudryj View Post
Just using dave's quote but not directed to him at all...

I may be a little old school and naive, but...If you do not want your kids exposed to drugs or trouble.... pay attention to them, be aware of their friends, schedules, and what they do on their free time, or do not let them have free time, get them in to some sport or hobby... basically TAKE THE FRICKING TIME TO RISE THEM RIGHT!!!

just because it's illegal does not mean is not easily available for any kid now a days...

just saying....
Could not agree more with the above reply. Again, I too am not singling Dave's quote out to direct any response at him. We now have more "Families" with single parents then both. Couple that with the general population is become more ignorant each & every day and what you get is folks who spend 2 hrs per day with their kids and more time with their crack-berries!!!!
spraynet 1 is offline  
Old 01-22-2011, 07:22 AM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 18,346
Default

Many Truly conservative American Politicians and talking heads have advocated this for years. This and prostitution - now there is a cause I could get into.
LI Sound Grunt is offline  
Old 01-23-2011, 06:05 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Turks and Caicos Island
Posts: 7,537
Default

I was just recently reading that while the USA has only 5% of the world's population, we have 25% of the world's prisoners. After my initial "WTF!!?" wore off, I was thinking about it, and am willing to bet that a huge number of the people we have locked up are good, peaceful people who have had their lives ruined because they decided to get buzzed on pot instead of alcohol. There's something wrong here. Pot is a natural plant. How can it possibly be better for society for us to be drinking solvents?

When I see a set of headlights coming toward me at 2 am, I sure know which buzz I hope they have if they're driving home impaired..

There's a huge difference between them doing 5 mph under the speed limit in their lane while worried about me vs. them doing 80 mph all over the road with double vision.
Gringo is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread