Notices

Read "Lent a tool" so...

Old 12-10-2010, 11:21 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The left coast.
Posts: 1,881
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Read "Lent a tool" so...

...it reminded me of family issues and family asking for help.

When I was married, my then wife's uncle asked me to help him troubleshoot a phone problem he had in his brand new custom home of which he has never worked a day in his life to earn money to build it because his father gave him bunches of money to live on (still with me?). I told me wife to tell him to call 611.

My then brother-in-law had financial problems and I was about to sell my Krapmaro so decided to just give it to him. I had bought it new and kept it up very well. He had the balls to call me a few months later and tell me that the brakes are squeaking. What a loser.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:47 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,380
Likes: 0
Received 1,094 Likes on 610 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the good life View Post
He had the balls to call me a few months later and tell me that the brakes are squeaking. What a loser.

So how'd you handle it?
....I would have loved to been a fly on the wall after the conversation with your BIL.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:55 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pembroke Pines, Fl.
Posts: 912
Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Default

I feel your pain. Since I'm pretty mechanically inclined and spent my fair share of time in the construction trade I'm the go to guy for my wifes side of the family whenever anything breaks or falls off the wall. It usually starts with "my mom was wondering what your doing today" or when her step father says "you need to come over and fix this" . My family can fix just about anything under the sun but her side finds it easier to pick up a phone rather than a tool. Here's one, Christmas Day 2006 both of our families and extended families are together celebrating when her step father informs me his car is making a "funny noise" and that I "need" to take it for a drive and fix it today. Looking back I should have done it and removed the brake lines .
Old 12-11-2010, 07:10 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,731
Likes: 0
Received 652 Likes on 358 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by redslayer069 View Post
Looking back I should have done it and removed the brake lines .
Old 12-11-2010, 07:17 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,731
Likes: 0
Received 652 Likes on 358 Posts
Default

#2 son is in college and buys a BMW535 to tool around in (not my problem; not my money). After a few trips where he thinks he's seeing some white wiffs of smoke in the exhaust, the 222K mile car is down and needs the head done. Straight six, so I decide that either he can spend a lot of money for a garage to do it, or we can Father/Son the project and save him a bunch.

My rule is simple; he must spend the same amount of time on the engine as I do. As all projects like this end up, he's out alot while I'm doing what I like to do...fix the thing. Then it comes time to settle the bill.

I give him the receipts for parts and machining...about $450, and I've added $16 to represent the 16 extra hours that I worked on the car while he was...well, wasn't working on it. You'd think that I stuck him in the eye with a hot poker...."GEEZ, DAD, you gouge me for your time?????? You're a DAD, you should work for FREE!!".

....even at $1/hour, a Dad's time (or a relative's time) seems like too much to some people..
Old 12-11-2010, 08:21 AM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
240 LTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upper Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 21,756
Received 3,055 Likes on 1,311 Posts
Default

I would have proceeded to get the car in an out of the way place, remove something he didn't understand so it would not run and walk in the house and NEVER say another word EVER about the car.



.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:26 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,731
Likes: 0
Received 652 Likes on 358 Posts
Default

It was funny to see him throw a fit about something like that...I laughed and laughed and then made sure he knew that I'd spent that $16 on a case of beer...and we drank a few of them and toasted the car being done.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:36 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 741
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Nice guys get pissed on.
As one of my buddies used to say: "If people treat you like a dog, every once in a while you gotta bite someone in the leg"

On a Beemer, open the trunk, press the button to lock all the doors, and remove teh battery cable from it. Shut the trunk. The car uses commands from a computer to operate a solenoid to open doors, locks, etc. Without a battery, he can't open and y door, trunk or hood it to get at the battery to "jump it"

I used to go out of my way to help other people, but getting pissed on, I now only help those who have helped me.

If you believe in free labor, re-coat my pool.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:37 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The left coast.
Posts: 1,881
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Garett View Post
So how'd you handle it?
....I would have loved to been a fly on the wall after the conversation with your BIL.
I didn't even bother responding to him. I told my wife to tell him to try and clean the disc brakes by shooting water on them and see what happens. Problem solved.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:09 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 17,474
Received 2,659 Likes on 1,431 Posts
Default

You guys can't get close to my ass on this sort of crap.

My first wife's mother was a derelict. I mean a real loser. Couldn't hold a job... always waiting for "her year" and for it to be "her time". LOL. Anyway... to be honest, and looking back, she might have been a little retarded, but I'm not sure since I think most people are a little retarded. LOL. (myself included for marrying into that family).

So, she loses her job for the last time before the divorce and she needs a car. At the time I had three beaters and a nicer "Sunday" car (VW Passat). One of the cars was a total beater, but reliable and the other 2 weren't what I would call reliable (and they were manual transmissions... she couldn't walk and chew gum, let alone drive a car with three pedals. LOL). Anyway... the family starts sniffing around with the "you have 4 cars" routine... yeah, and I work 18 hours a day since I'm 12 years old. Fuch-Off. The begging / hint dropping keeps going (mind you, she had two other daughters)... finally I start to THINK about selling her the car in exchange for doing some work for me (simple labor - basically repetitive production line work type stuff), and she snarls that she can't be on her feet that long (lol, she was ringing register at the supermarket before they fired her because she wouldn't work the day they needed her or some lame excuse to get unemployment on her part)...

Anyway, she couldn't work for me, she couldn't lift things (she went to the gym) LOL... she had every excuse.

Got is so far? Following along?

Ok... well... after everything is said and done, it comes out that she wanted me to keep the insurance on the car while she drove it too! LOL. Wife was gone about a week later.

Moral of the story... lots. a) Make dam sure you know the mother of the bride, she can make your life hell. And if you think she may, have a very finite plan on how to deal with it. If the bride seems very up-the-ass of mommy, you're likely DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD at the first sign of trouble.
b) In-Law family can be as damaging as your own.

Take it from me, folks -- I've lived it on BOTH sides of the family tree... it's a friggin' horror story.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:24 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey Shore
Posts: 2,268
Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
#2 son is in college and buys a BMW535 to tool around in (not my problem; not my money). After a few trips where he thinks he's seeing some white wiffs of smoke in the exhaust, the 222K mile car is down and needs the head done. Straight six, so I decide that either he can spend a lot of money for a garage to do it, or we can Father/Son the project and save him a bunch.

My rule is simple; he must spend the same amount of time on the engine as I do. As all projects like this end up, he's out alot while I'm doing what I like to do...fix the thing. Then it comes time to settle the bill.

I give him the receipts for parts and machining...about $450, and I've added $16 to represent the 16 extra hours that I worked on the car while he was...well, wasn't working on it. You'd think that I stuck him in the eye with a hot poker...."GEEZ, DAD, you gouge me for your time?????? You're a DAD, you should work for FREE!!".

....even at $1/hour, a Dad's time (or a relative's time) seems like too much to some people..
Good story.

Reminds me of the time my BIL asked if I could put a fan belt on his car as he couldn't afford a shop to do it. The car was in his apartment complex parking lot. It was about 30 degrees that day as we started the project. About 5 minutes into it he tells me he's going inside cause it's cold. I finished the job joined him and the wives and kids inside. He ordered pizza and when it came he told me my share was a little more than 1/2 the bill, cause I had 3 kids and he only had 2.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:09 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,658
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by nickmo View Post
Good story.

Reminds me of the time my BIL asked if I could put a fan belt on his car as he couldn't afford a shop to do it. The car was in his apartment complex parking lot. It was about 30 degrees that day as we started the project. About 5 minutes into it he tells me he's going inside cause it's cold. I finished the job joined him and the wives and kids inside. He ordered pizza and when it came he told me my share was a little more than 1/2 the bill, cause I had 3 kids and he only had 2.
Un-freaking real!
Old 12-13-2010, 06:44 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 2,084
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

agreed...you should have sent him a bill for freezing your butt off to help him out
Old 12-13-2010, 08:00 PM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location:
Posts: 9,907
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by nickmo View Post
Good story.

Reminds me of the time my BIL asked if I could put a fan belt on his car as he couldn't afford a shop to do it. The car was in his apartment complex parking lot. It was about 30 degrees that day as we started the project. About 5 minutes into it he tells me he's going inside cause it's cold. I finished the job joined him and the wives and kids inside. He ordered pizza and when it came he told me my share was a little more than 1/2 the bill, cause I had 3 kids and he only had 2.
Nickmo! So far I think you're winning!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.