Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Question regarding the ''Menzie'' issue

Notices

Question regarding the ''Menzie'' issue

Old 10-21-2010, 01:26 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: orlando madbeach, fl
Posts: 9,396
Received 1,686 Likes on 796 Posts
Default Question regarding the ''Menzie'' issue

Many on the other posts are now defending Menzie or in disagreement on the penalty he paid for his actions. Do you think he acts like this away from THT?

I am not a fan of his, I feel he was here to drop grenades and see what happened when they exploded. He was warned to dial it down and in failing to do so, paid the price of Band Camp. He is an ''adult'' and if he was being baited by MOD 2, he should have realized it, then backed off.

My question to those that care to answer:

Do you act differently on THT or other forums than you do in day to day life?

My conduct on THT is as though I am standing next to you at the bar, dock or in your place of work. If I disagree with a post, I may choose to share my opinion but will not get into an argument on a computer.

I try to live by the "No Politics or Religion'' discussion rule when amongst those with differing views.

How about you?
Old 10-21-2010, 02:31 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: too close to philly
Posts: 2,432
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

but he wasn't being baited. he started an obvious attention getter thread. he was offered several chances to back down, and seemed to bow up every time. sooner or later, it was bound to go hardcore. he chose to accuse the mod in question of something he couldn't prove, refused to back down, and was banned.

i may be way off on this, but, i can't help but believe he took it further by contacting ownership of the site, and was found to be way off base. that's probably why in went permanent. they view him as a liability to their businesss. no one's fault but his own. the fact he went to another site, and opened the same can of worms is a little odd.

as far as how i behave here, well, dockside and the bilge are two totally different worlds. a website and reality are as well. oftentimes, text can be interpreteted wrong more readily because face to face inflection is absent( what may have been an honest question is misconstrued, etc). as far as my off color jokes, no..most times, i will...within reason (in front of family, older folks, those it would offend, etc...everyone has limits)

religion and politics always seem to push buttons faster than anything, don't they? sometimes they are best left alone. depends on the situation

i think some folks like the conflict (menzies seemed the sort) and will disagree just for the sake of disagreeing.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:09 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jax Fla,Horseshoe Beach Fla
Posts: 13,398
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

I'm like you,I can and do get along with just about anybody.But I will not talk politics with any of the left for the simple fact it is there way and your [we] are wrong.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:15 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,739
Likes: 0
Received 653 Likes on 359 Posts
Default

Your question begs the forum that's being discussed. Forums like Boating or Trucks/Trailers probably elicit informational responses that are close to what a person would do in a work-place environment.

Discussions in the Dockside or Bilge or Sand Bar are for our alter-egos...the Walter Mitty personalities that we would like to have. The difference is in whether we're comfortable in our own skins...do we change just a little from our normal selves, or do we change a lot?
Old 10-21-2010, 03:19 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberPLEDGERPLEDGERCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: ATL & SAV
Posts: 12,351
Likes: 0
Received 2,003 Likes on 989 Posts
Default

I try to tone down my personality when posting on the internet. I am "The Internet Healer", that's who I am and how I roll.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:24 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Edgewater, NJ
Posts: 4,708
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

You forgot the "t"...


Originally Posted by Tireless View Post
I try to tone down my personality when posting on the internet. I am "The Internet Healer", that's who I am and how I troll.
fixed it for you...


Old 10-21-2010, 03:26 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: orlando madbeach, fl
Posts: 9,396
Received 1,686 Likes on 796 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Your question begs the forum that's being discussed. Forums like Boating or Trucks/Trailers probably elicit informational responses that are close to what a person would do in a work-place environment.

Discussions in the Dockside or Bilge or Sand Bar are for our alter-egos...the Walter Mitty personalities that we would like to have. The difference is in whether we're comfortable in our own skins...do we change just a little from our normal selves, or do we change a lot?
I guess this goes to heart of my question. Menzie certaintly had plenty of decent posts and threads. Some funny, some informational but his so called ''alter ego'' was so disruptive outside of the bilge that it begs to wonder if this is how he is in ''real'' life.

I had a stepfather for eight years of my life from age 8 to 16. This guy would go to a party or social event and inevitably get into an argument over religion or politics. He was a social outcast in our own neighborhood because of this.

He was an otherwise great guy but a real douche in a social gathering.

If a hundred people out of 110 think or say your an azzhole it maybe time to look in the mirror and change your ways.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:28 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsyltucky
Posts: 7,421
Received 1,587 Likes on 741 Posts
Default

I try to act the same here. Although I think I tend to come across differently in written communication as I do verbally.

I do think written communication is a bit colder than verbal communication.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:40 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Turks and Caicos Island
Posts: 7,537
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I never stutter when I am writing.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:46 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 8,518
Likes: 0
Received 1,356 Likes on 735 Posts
Default

I'm actually a bit more sarcastic in real life than on the net. Generally speaking, sarcastic humor doesn't seem to translate too well when typed out as opposed to being spoken. I've been misinterpreted as being mean when it was really just good natured ribbing that I was aiming for. In the real world, everyone would laugh (at least I hope they would).

As for the Menses thing, I think a lot of people need to realize that this is just entertainment. Ignore the guy if you don't like what he has to say (that goes for other posters, not just Menses). If I see someone post something that is dumb, I have the choice to engage them or ignore them. If I engage them, I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch because they won't answer my question or say something I don't agree with. If I ignore them, that won't get me wound up either.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:50 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
PLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGER
 
Snapper Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Republic of West Florida - the ORIGINAL lone star state
Posts: 17,831
Received 1,100 Likes on 488 Posts
Default

I'm an asshole in real life too.

It doesn't bother me.


Big Al
Old 10-21-2010, 05:24 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Downeast, North Carolina
Posts: 6,132
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I've been surprised that what I felt was a well thought out constructive post is "taken" completely different than what I meant. I have to wonder if it's my poor writing capabilities (which at one time were considered quite good), or is it the reader has his/her own agenda and never really thinks about what they've read.

I do think that the Internet has created an atmosphere of indifference. I think people are indifferent to other points of view because they have no vested interest in what the other party says or feels. I think discussing a subject of substance on a fishing website is a waste of time.

As far as Menzie is concerned, I had no personal interaction with him. The only thing that I would question about the situation is, why would the mods get into it with him in the Bilge? I went to the Bilge and read the disclaimer to get in and I chose not to go any further. If he was such a detriment to the site, why not ban him for something said in a forum that has some sense of decorum? But, it's the Internet and the owners can do whatever they want. Personally, I think they made a poor business decision in the heat of the moment. Then again, I have very few facts and I'm basing my thoughts on hearsay and my assumption that the bilge is pretty much lawless.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:29 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Downeast, North Carolina
Posts: 6,132
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Snapper Head View Post
I'm an asshole in real life too.

It doesn't bother me.


Big Al
Are we related? ;? People have told me the same thing! Of course, they're jerks, so why would I care?
Old 10-21-2010, 05:35 PM
  #14  
Joe
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Isle of Palms, SC
Posts: 17,122
Received 1,318 Likes on 736 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by davedowneast View Post
I've been surprised that what I felt was a well thought out constructive post is "taken" completely different than what I meant. I have to wonder if it's my poor writing capabilities (which at one time were considered quite good), or is it the reader has his/her own agenda and never really thinks about what they've read.

I do think that the Internet has created an atmosphere of indifference. I think people are indifferent to other points of view because they have no vested interest in what the other party says or feels. I think discussing a subject of substance on a fishing website is a waste of time.
yeah..whatever.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:04 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Downeast, North Carolina
Posts: 6,132
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Joe View Post
yeah..whatever.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:21 PM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location:
Posts: 9,907
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Snapper Head View Post
I'm an asshole in real life too.

It doesn't bother me.


Big Al
You are a funny guy! ( but not like a clown funny...)
I want to buy you a beer and fish!
Old 10-21-2010, 06:49 PM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 22,385
Received 4,469 Likes on 1,800 Posts
Default

I am probably similiar to OReely I am more sarcastic and a bit of a prankster in real life... I live by the notion to be my friend you better not carry your feelings on sleeve... I am also one that believes rules should apply to everyone equally.. Rarely do I look for a fight but I also will take a shot if shot at first..

On THT I try hard to be helpful and straight forward as feelings or attitudes cant be read into things... My gut tells me that Menzie acts up on here because he is mainly a straight laced guy without an outlet, but trust me he could probably pi$$off the pope if he was online..
Old 10-21-2010, 06:57 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Turks and Caicos Island
Posts: 7,537
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OReely View Post
I'm actually a bit more sarcastic in real life than on the net. Generally speaking, sarcastic humor doesn't seem to translate too well when typed out as opposed to being spoken. I've been misinterpreted as being mean when it was really just good natured ribbing that I was aiming for. In the real world, everyone would laugh (at least I hope they would).

As for the Menses thing, I think a lot of people need to realize that this is just entertainment. Ignore the guy if you don't like what he has to say (that goes for other posters, not just Menses). If I see someone post something that is dumb, I have the choice to engage them or ignore them. If I engage them, I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch because they won't answer my question or say something I don't agree with. If I ignore them, that won't get me wound up either.
Ah, how refreshing. a voice of reason. And there are so damned few of us left.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:57 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Puerto Pensaco Mexico, just south of Rock Point
Posts: 11,530
Likes: 0
Received 266 Likes on 139 Posts
Default

I act exactly like this around my friends. So I guess I feel comfortable around most who post here.

Last night I visited my mom who is here and a few thousand miles from her home. We were catching up and she asked me what I do in my spare time. My reply was, I go on the internet and look at all the sex sites.. My bro in law busted out laughing and so did my mom... then I had to tell her I really visit a boating forum.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:08 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sharon Springs, NY
Posts: 4,516
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

I have to admit, I'm a little softer on here then I am in real life. I basically wake up mad at the world most days and I come here for respit.

I have met some great people here, but I seriously doubt they would like me in real life.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.