Notices

Hauling Gas to Boat

Old 09-22-2010, 10:03 AM
  #1  
KJS
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Where I go, there I am
Posts: 16,796
Likes: 0
Received 957 Likes on 512 Posts
Default Hauling Gas to Boat

I saw this last night on the way home. I have never been one to think it is bad to haul gas in your truck in approved containers. However, strapping them to your bumper seems a little bit unsafe.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:20 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
PLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGER
 
Snapper Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Republic of West Florida - the ORIGINAL lone star state
Posts: 17,809
Received 1,074 Likes on 477 Posts
Default

Keeps people from tailgating


Big Al
Old 09-22-2010, 10:23 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Posts: 3,389
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Probably his wifes ride..playing it safe. My neighbor took his wifes minivan grocery shopping and forgot to bring a pkg of chicken in the house. Van sat for a day or 2, in the middle of summer...
Old 09-22-2010, 10:31 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,655
Likes: 0
Received 854 Likes on 532 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KJS View Post
I saw this last night on the way home. I have never been one to think it is bad to haul gas in your truck in approved containers. However, strapping them to your bumper seems a little bit unsafe.


Not to worry, a VA trooper will deal with that.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:33 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 18,376
Received 802 Likes on 397 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Snapper Head View Post
Keeps people from tailgating


Big Al


Yes it is especially needed if you don't have a Pinto or a Crown Vic
Old 09-22-2010, 11:00 AM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Birmingham / Hessel, MI
Posts: 26,997
Likes: 0
Received 819 Likes on 528 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
Probably his wifes ride..playing it safe. My neighbor took his wifes minivan grocery shopping and forgot to bring a pkg of chicken in the house. Van sat for a day or 2, in the middle of summer...

I left a pound of shrimp...rolled under the seat.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:03 AM
  #7  
KJS
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Where I go, there I am
Posts: 16,796
Likes: 0
Received 957 Likes on 512 Posts
Default

Yep, I left squid, bloodworms, and some bunker in the trunk once. I drove the car to work and it sat in direct sunlight all day on a 100 degree day. When I opened the car door the smell almost knocked me over.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:04 AM
  #8  
KJS
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Where I go, there I am
Posts: 16,796
Likes: 0
Received 957 Likes on 512 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Snapper Head View Post
Keeps people from tailgating


Big Al
That it does.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:29 AM
  #9  
gf
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 13,092
Received 291 Likes on 220 Posts
Default

What's the unsafe part?

It's not on the bumper it's sitting on a receiver mounted cargo tray.

Seems OK to me.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:49 AM
  #10  
KJS
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Where I go, there I am
Posts: 16,796
Likes: 0
Received 957 Likes on 512 Posts
Default




Old 09-22-2010, 12:03 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 924
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by gf View Post
What's the unsafe part?

It's not on the bumper it's sitting on a receiver mounted cargo tray.

Seems OK to me.
Good eyes.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:06 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Birmingham / Hessel, MI
Posts: 26,997
Likes: 0
Received 819 Likes on 528 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gf View Post
What's the unsafe part?

It's not on the bumper it's sitting on a receiver mounted cargo tray.

Seems OK to me.
I can usually get 5 five gallon cans onto my
cargo rack.

Marina charges $1.50 MORE per gallon. And their dock boys didn't know how to ground the fill nozzle.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:33 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,487
Received 1,712 Likes on 910 Posts
Default

I have an aluminum cargo carrier that fits into my 2" receiver on my Yukon. I always hated getting gas for the mowers, weed wacker, generator, etc so I bought 2- 6 gallon, 2- 5 gallon, and several 1 & 2 gallon gas cans and used to fill them all up at once. No matter what I did they would leak some gas into the cargo area of the Yukon and the truck would stink for days/weeks. I bought a aluminum cargo carrier at Harbor Freight, it's the only one that I had seen that was aluminum and had high sides. I can put all of the gas cans into the carrier and fill them up without taking them out at the gas station. I don't use the 6 gallon containers any more, to hard to get the fuel out of them into another can or into the tractor. It's great being able to put the containers outside of the truck and makes a chore that I hated not so bad.

Now if anyone is thinking about using gas cans to fill up their boat, here is my story bout that.... I filled up all of the containers and had the brilliant idea of running them out to the boat. The marina doesn't allow this so I did it late in the evening so no body would notice. Could be one of the worst ideas I have ever had! Trying to get the fuel out of a 6 gallon container into the gas fill on the boat ended up being impossible to not spill gas everywhere. By the time I was done I was literally soaked with gas, there was a rainbow around my boat, the boat next to mine, the boat next to that one....the deck of the boat was covered in gas and ended up being very slippery which I ended up slipping and falling while using one of the 5 gallon cans. The gas can hit my console and shot gas all over my face and hair. It was like a 3 Stooges episode.

This was in my Scarab Sport which had a 150 gallon tank, by the time I was done I turned the key and the fuel gauge needle moved about 1/8 of an inch! What a complete total waste of time, which I will never do again. Ended up throwing my shirt and pants in the marina dumpster and drove home in my underwear.

Russ
Old 09-23-2010, 05:44 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Thornton's Ferry,NH,USA
Posts: 10,728
Likes: 0
Received 67 Likes on 41 Posts
Default

There are safety warnings about carrying gas inside a vehicle. I think putting a can on a cargo tray is much smarter. If it was a caged tray and the can was not secured I'd question the driver's judgement but it looks fine to me. Even the "Nanny State" should be okay with it.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:37 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Birmingham / Hessel, MI
Posts: 26,997
Likes: 0
Received 819 Likes on 528 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RussH View Post
I have an aluminum cargo carrier that fits into my 2" receiver on my Yukon. I always hated getting gas for the mowers, weed wacker, generator, etc so I bought 2- 6 gallon, 2- 5 gallon, and several 1 & 2 gallon gas cans and used to fill them all up at once. No matter what I did they would leak some gas into the cargo area of the Yukon and the truck would stink for days/weeks. I bought a aluminum cargo carrier at Harbor Freight, it's the only one that I had seen that was aluminum and had high sides. I can put all of the gas cans into the carrier and fill them up without taking them out at the gas station. I don't use the 6 gallon containers any more, to hard to get the fuel out of them into another can or into the tractor. It's great being able to put the containers outside of the truck and makes a chore that I hated not so bad.

Now if anyone is thinking about using gas cans to fill up their boat, here is my story bout that.... I filled up all of the containers and had the brilliant idea of running them out to the boat. The marina doesn't allow this so I did it late in the evening so no body would notice. Could be one of the worst ideas I have ever had! Trying to get the fuel out of a 6 gallon container into the gas fill on the boat ended up being impossible to not spill gas everywhere. By the time I was done I was literally soaked with gas, there was a rainbow around my boat, the boat next to mine, the boat next to that one....the deck of the boat was covered in gas and ended up being very slippery which I ended up slipping and falling while using one of the 5 gallon cans. The gas can hit my console and shot gas all over my face and hair. It was like a 3 Stooges episode.

This was in my Scarab Sport which had a 150 gallon tank, by the time I was done I turned the key and the fuel gauge needle moved about 1/8 of an inch! What a complete total waste of time, which I will never do again. Ended up throwing my shirt and pants in the marina dumpster and drove home in my underwear.

Russ

Large funnel?
Old 09-23-2010, 07:25 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,692
Likes: 0
Received 163 Likes on 70 Posts
Default

yeah, if you think the tank was "strapped to the bumper" from the distance in the pic, then you need (new) glasses.

Its only dangerous to the person who slams into the back of him because they're busy taking pictures from behind the wheel.....
Old 09-23-2010, 07:38 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake Murray, SC
Posts: 4,238
Likes: 0
Received 205 Likes on 113 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cedarholm View Post
Large funnel?
I use a simple siphon. Works great and is fast. Plus you don't have to hold the gas can up.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:43 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: RI
Posts: 1,639
Received 325 Likes on 189 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cedarholm View Post
Large funnel?
I use a large funnel with 6 gallon jugs, no spigot - just direct pour. Been doing it for years...only thing you have to watch out for is which way the wind is blowing, and block it with your body. My fill is under my console seat though, not on the gunnel.

Classic story Russ - too bad it wasn't captured on film!

Dave
Old 09-23-2010, 07:47 AM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Virginia Beach, VA.
Posts: 469
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Is this in Virginia? Around the Norfolk Navy base and Williamsburg? A co-worker has this exact same setup on his vehicle. There is no gas in his jug, but he said he has no more tailgaters. He has never been stopped for it, even by the tunnel people.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:47 AM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 8,781
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KJS View Post
However, strapping them to your bumper seems a little bit unsafe.













I feel the same way!

Since we also have a motorhome, we (all too often) see RV's with gas cans AND extra propane tanks strapped down to those hitch carriers!

They are a massive explosion waiting to happen!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.