Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

2012 Conspiracy Theory or scare tactic?

Notices

2012 Conspiracy Theory or scare tactic?

Old 06-03-2010, 08:36 AM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGERPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Struggleville
Posts: 7,525
Default 2012 Conspiracy Theory or scare tactic?

I've been taking a look at the possibility of a magnetic polar shift and a geological polar shift, anyone else read anything about this. It's pretty scary stuff if you believe that it could happen. Any thoughts. Don't attack the messenger, I report, you decide.
Bugbuster is offline  
Old 06-03-2010, 08:50 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,223
Default

I saw a TV show a couple of years back on how/when this might happen. From what they said and showed it looks like it is due within a short time frome (100-1000 years).

If it does take place I don't know what will happen, ice age, heat wave??? Or maybe just a shift in the seasons. If it happens in spring or fall you may not even notice it other then you'll have either 2 summers or 2 winters back to back.

I would love to know more about it myself. Good topic!
08087 is offline  
Old 06-03-2010, 08:52 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,290
Default

I just read Atlantis Found by Clive Cussler, and a polar shift was what the evil-doers were planning...if not for those meddling NUMA characters!
NJFISH is offline  
Old 06-03-2010, 08:57 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,292
Default

Originally Posted by 08087 View Post
I saw a TV show a couple of years back on how/when this might happen. From what they said and showed it looks like it is due within a short time frome (100-1000 years).

If it does take place I don't know what will happen, ice age, heat wave??? Or maybe just a shift in the seasons. If it happens in spring or fall you may not even notice it other then you'll have either 2 summers or 2 winters back to back.

I would love to know more about it myself. Good topic!
jacking up the seasons would trigger major foodchain problems and massive dieoff of species... water currents might stop or alter... air currents might change... all those things would have dramatic effects on the earth
wildgeechi is offline  
Old 06-03-2010, 09:02 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 668
Default

The geological phd zealots at he college I attended often emphasized the possibility of a polar shift and can be proven with a few magnets set up right. Its a scientific fact that a polar shift has happend in the past. Many millions of years ago that is. If you look at the position of the north magnetic pole, you will see that it wanders around. It's nearly always in a different spot. It wobbles on an axis. In the feild it is refereed to as "Geomagnetic reversal."

http://gsc.nrcan.gc.ca/geomag/nmp/daily_mvt_nmp_e.php
BigPumper is offline  
Old 06-03-2010, 09:06 AM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albemarle Sound, NC
Posts: 1,698
Default

Originally Posted by Bugbuster View Post
I report, you decide.
What are you Fox News now?
appfan99 is offline  
Old 06-03-2010, 09:12 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 668
Default

Originally Posted by appfan99 View Post
What are you Fox News now?
That did resemble some thing D-bag oreilly would say.
BigPumper is offline  
Old 06-03-2010, 09:21 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,596
Default

Hey this hear...."Geomagnetec reversall" thing aint gonna interupt my American Idol....is it? Cause Estophen is gonna do his Walrus dance.......this week.

If it does....i want my damn $29.50 back from dish network...cause i can use that to buy cigarettes......

Brought to you by the Average American.....
Ranger88 is offline  
Old 06-03-2010, 01:38 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Saugus, Ma. USA
Posts: 11,119
Default

What makes it scary, other than possibly needing to buy a new compass? Day and night are governed by the earth's rotation on its axis, tides are determined by the gravitational effect of the moon, and seasons are a result of our elliptical orbit with an offset rotational axis.

Would this are supposedly change because of a slow reversal of the earth's magnetic pole? I am asking this legitimately - I don't know enough about it.
jobowker is offline  
Old 06-03-2010, 03:15 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 668
Default

Originally Posted by Ranger88 View Post
Hey this hear...."Geomagnetec reversall" thing aint gonna interupt my American Idol....is it? Cause Estophen is gonna do his Walrus dance.......this week.

If it does....i want my damn $29.50 back from dish network...cause i can use that to buy cigarettes......

Brought to you by the Average American.....
Brought to you by some one with a 12th grade education or less.
BigPumper is offline  
Old 06-03-2010, 03:23 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,596
Default

Originally Posted by BigPumper View Post
Brought to you by some one with a 12th grade education or less.
Someone is one word, college guy
Ranger88 is offline  
Old 06-03-2010, 05:22 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 668
Default

Originally Posted by Ranger88 View Post
Someone is one word, college guy
It depends on the context in which it is used. It's a common mistake among people with just or less than a 12th grade education.

Someone refers to an unspecified member of a group of people. Some one refers to an unspecified member of a group of items or people that is being selected for individual attention.
BigPumper is offline  
Old 06-03-2010, 07:11 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,596
Default

Originally Posted by BigPumper View Post
It depends on the context in which it is used. It's a common mistake among people with just or less than a 12th grade education.

Someone refers to an unspecified member of a group of people. Some one refers to an unspecified member of a group of items or people that is being selected for individual attention.
To be frank, I've never heard the phrase "some one" used in the above context, but your explaination sounds plausible, so I will acquiesce on the subject, and wish you well.

Good luck
Ranger88 is offline  
Old 06-03-2010, 08:09 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,223
Default

Way to keep us on topic.
08087 is offline  
Old 06-03-2010, 10:45 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,596
Default

Lol
Ranger88 is offline  
Old 06-04-2010, 05:40 AM
  #16  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7
Default

Originally Posted by NJFISH View Post
I just read Atlantis Found by Clive Cussler, and a polar shift was what the evil-doers were planning...if not for those meddling NUMA characters!
Damn Pitt, Giordino and Sandecker always getting in the way...
usmma2013 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread