The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Dockside Chat (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat-18/)
-   -   Battle of Pt Judith; WWII U-boat warfare (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/286282-battle-pt-judith-wwii-u-boat-warfare.html)

Soundbounder 05-31-2010 07:50 AM

Battle of Pt Judith; WWII U-boat warfare
 
I only learned about this, maybe 5 years ago.
In the closing days of the European front in WWII, the Germans issued a cease-fire for all naval operations. U-boat 853 never received the orders and torpedoed the coal freighter USS Black Point off of Point Judith, Rhode Island.
Four US Navy warships and two blimps responded to the scene, and tracked down the U-boat, and destroyed it.

http://soundbounder.blogspot.com/201...nt-judith.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-853

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_...f_Point_Judith

Anyone with additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Memorial Day!

LI Sound Grunt 05-31-2010 10:08 AM

EXCELLENT Work! :thumbsup: I cruise this area all the time and never knew.

Thanks for sharing

Soundbounder 05-31-2010 10:36 AM


Originally Posted by LI Sound Grunt (Post 3007581)
EXCELLENT Work! :thumbsup: I cruise this area all the time and never knew.

Thanks for sharing

Thanks Grunt!
Yeah, I have become real fascinated with this. There is also another sunken sub off New Jersey that NOVA did a special on. A fishing dragger snagged it in 1991:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/lostsub/tour.html

Soundbounder 05-31-2010 11:58 AM

This is in today's Providence Journal

http://www.projo.com/news/content/U-...8.13efe0e.html

nanjemoycat 05-31-2010 03:36 PM

There's one sunk in the Potomac also.

BACKTOTHESEA 06-01-2010 04:27 AM

I have dove both wrecks. The visability usually sucks on the blackpoint but is generally decent on the 853. The sub is really deteriorating. Not sure if I would go through it anymore. One of my favorite dives.

It is certainly an underwater grave site, no shortage of bones and sculls. I cannot imagine the fear the submariners had when they got hit (multiple times).

Soundbounder 06-01-2010 06:02 AM


Originally Posted by BACKTOTHESEA (Post 3008740)
I have dove both wrecks. The visability usually sucks on the blackpoint but is generally decent on the 853. The sub is really deteriorating. Not sure if I would go through it anymore. One of my favorite dives.

It is certainly an underwater grave site, no shortage of bones and sculls. I cannot imagine the fear the submariners had when they got hit (multiple times).

On one of the dive sites, I read that Blackpoint is in really bad shape too. It's split in half and deteriorating fast.

Then again, it was sunk 65 years ago. I guess that is to be expected.

SweetD 06-01-2010 09:19 AM

Soundbounder,

Interesting stuff, right in my neck of the woods too.

Have you ever heard of or read the book "Shadow Divers" by Robert Kurson? It'll put you on the edge of your seat. It's about the guys (divers) that found a previously unkown U-boat off the coast of NJ. Awesome book.

Dave

Soundbounder 06-01-2010 10:36 AM


Originally Posted by SweetD (Post 3009311)
Soundbounder,

Interesting stuff, right in my neck of the woods too.

Have you ever heard of or read the book "Shadow Divers" by Robert Kurson? It'll put you on the edge of your seat. It's about the guys (divers) that found a previously unkown U-boat off the coast of NJ. Awesome book.

Dave

You are the second person to recommend that book to me this week, so I am certainly going to have to track it down. I did however see the PBS NOVA special on U-869 off New Jersey.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/lostsub/tour.html

Soundbounder 06-02-2010 03:39 AM

I also found this site


http://www.uboat.net/

Soundbounder 06-02-2010 05:27 AM

This is an interesting story about German saboteurs who landed in Amagansett



http://www.montauklife.com/history/h...the_nazis.html

PtJudeRI 06-02-2010 05:48 AM

I read about this a few years back as well. Most people are astonished to know some of the details. Most people know about the U boat off Block, but no one thinks to ask why it is there.

This is one of the best accounts I have found on the history.

http://www.desausa.org/de_photo_libr...int_judith.htm

Soundbounder 06-02-2010 06:58 AM


Originally Posted by PtJudeRI (Post 3011310)
I read about this a few years back as well. Most people are astonished to know some of the details. Most people know about the U boat off Block, but no one thinks to ask why it is there.

This is one of the best accounts I have found on the history.

http://www.desausa.org/de_photo_libr...int_judith.htm

That is excellent. Seems very well researched!!!

:thumbsup:

Soundbounder 06-02-2010 07:01 PM

PE-56 which was also sunk by u-boat 853


http://www.stephenpuleo.com/en_review.htm

Soundbounder 06-03-2010 05:50 PM

Just received this email:

Russia finds Nazi arms ship in Baltic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/europe/10231227.stm


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.