Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Is Bp on the hook for my boat note?

Notices

Is Bp on the hook for my boat note?

Old 05-27-2010, 06:03 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa Fla
Posts: 1,441
Default Is Bp on the hook for my boat note?

Here is a question for BP. If I live and boat in the affected areas and am unable to use my vessel but still have a monthly payment...Will BP be liable to pay my note until I am able to resume boating?

Last edited by 2swift; 05-27-2010 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Added to
2swift is offline  
Old 05-27-2010, 06:35 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsyltucky
Posts: 7,118
Default

I doubt they will be, but they damn well outta be.
Brad1 is offline  
Old 05-27-2010, 06:37 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NPR FLA
Posts: 1,921
Default

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....thats about what you would get from them. Your in Ruskin....no worries there.
Shamus O'toole is offline  
Old 05-27-2010, 06:43 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa Fla
Posts: 1,441
Default

Originally Posted by Shamus O'toole View Post
BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....thats about what you would get from them. Your in Ruskin....no worries there.
It is just a general question and I do hope you are correct in your assessment.
2swift is offline  
Old 05-27-2010, 07:04 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NPR FLA
Posts: 1,921
Default

yeah it's hard to say what will happen in the next 6 months.
Shamus O'toole is offline  
Old 05-27-2010, 07:36 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Shore , MA
Posts: 1,390
Default

My prediction for what will actually happen is, they'll let the claims pile up and then file for bankruptcy and watch all of those claims get wiped off the books. Do you seriously believe that BP is going to pay every boat owner,fisherman,dock worker, and sandwich shop that has been wiped out by this? "every Legitimate claim" ??? Time will tell but lets just say I am a bit skeptical..........
nausetlight is offline  
Old 05-27-2010, 10:01 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 1,269
Default

As I said on FCB (the true boaters BS site) They are as responsible as EXXON was in Valdez.


Rat Bastards
boatommy is offline  
Old 05-27-2010, 10:11 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,119
Default

I'd say your only hope is to start a class action law suit against BP and see where it goes..........you might be surprised. ?
Garett is online now  
Old 05-28-2010, 03:14 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: S. Galvez, Louisiana. Ame
Posts: 7,448
Default

You are joking right?

Does God pay your boat note, if the weather is bad?

Does the Doctor pay your boat note if you are sick?

Does your Boss pay your boat note if you got to work?

Does your wife pay your boat note if you are busy with honey-Do?

Does the deceased pay your boat note if you got to go to their funeral?

Like I said you got to be joking.

La. senator Mary Landreau says that if you are a fisherman, or make your money on the water and you made 50k last year, and you can't work because of the oil spill, BP is going to pay you 50k. Seen it on the news myself, said it herself. So I would say if'n you want your boat note paid send a card or letter to Mary, she evidently has an inside track.

Last edited by twentynine; 05-28-2010 at 04:46 AM.
twentynine is offline  
Old 05-28-2010, 05:59 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stuart, FL
Posts: 1,675
Default

NO. Good luck with that. You go hire a lawyer and be ready and able to pay for litigation costs as no attorney in his/her lucid mind is going to take a case against a major oil company on a contingency, unless of course they wish to end their legal career. Maybe you can look into suing the government for higher taxes too whilst you are at. Maybe you can sue based on grounds the government failed in their perceived role involving the oil well blowout and failure to take action by some. By the way, who will you sue (BP, Transocean, Cameron, Halliburton) or everyone? This is a disaster however bringing forth litigation because you believe you can't use your boat is your prerogative however argument can be made that you can take your boat elsewhere and use it. I don't believe you were able to purchase a license for the privilege to boat without hazard. I fish and have a boat in South Florida and might be affected like others however looking to file suit because I can't fish (for pleasure) is not likely going to garner much sympathy from the judicial system. Many people are losing their financial lives because they can't fish or work the water or shoreline for a living. The livelihoods of these folks is radically effected because they are prevented from earning a living. You can't enjoy a fishing trip. Who do you think gets a pass here?
PROFINITY is offline  
Old 05-28-2010, 07:42 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lake Darbonne, north cent. Louisiana
Posts: 384
Default

There are lawyers on a regional sportsman's web site soliciting for recreational boaters to join a suit of this nature. I personally think this is ludicrous. I can still use my boat in fresh water, or fish the areas that are not closed. Does this put me out some? Yes! Do I like it? No! Nobody profits from this type of suit except the lawyers. The net effect is to muddy the waters and make it that much harder for people who's lives and incomes are destroyed to get just compensation.
blackswamp is offline  
Old 05-28-2010, 07:47 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lafayette, La.
Posts: 3,920
Default

If Mary Landrieu said it you can pretty much bet it won't happen.
Mike
beenie is offline  
Old 05-28-2010, 08:28 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: S. Galvez, Louisiana. Ame
Posts: 7,448
Default

Originally Posted by PROFINITY View Post
NO. Good luck with that. You go hire a lawyer and be ready and able to pay for litigation costs as no attorney in his/her lucid mind is going to take a case against a major oil company on a contingency, unless of course they wish to end their legal career. Maybe you can look into suing the government for higher taxes too whilst you are at. Maybe you can sue based on grounds the government failed in their perceived role involving the oil well blowout and failure to take action by some. By the way, who will you sue (BP, Transocean, Cameron, Halliburton) or everyone? This is a disaster however bringing forth litigation because you believe you can't use your boat is your prerogative however argument can be made that you can take your boat elsewhere and use it. I don't believe you were able to purchase a license for the privilege to boat without hazard. I fish and have a boat in South Florida and might be affected like others however looking to file suit because I can't fish (for pleasure) is not likely going to garner much sympathy from the judicial system. Many people are losing their financial lives because they can't fish or work the water or shoreline for a living. The livelihoods of these folks is radically effected because they are prevented from earning a living. You can't enjoy a fishing trip. Who do you think gets a pass here?
Good post. Well said.

Two more questions for you--------------

Do you know anything about Ruskin, Fl? do they have something in the drinking water that makes people think stupid thoughts?
twentynine is offline  
Old 05-28-2010, 10:16 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Long Island,NY
Posts: 11,967
Default

I disagree. BP is totally liable. All you have to do is send a copy of your monthly payment invoice to BP and they will gladly take care of it for you. No more worries and no more payments for you.
SeaJay is offline  
Old 05-28-2010, 10:18 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: 26 46' 18.72"N 80 02' 47.34"W
Posts: 2,757
Default

Originally Posted by SeaJay View Post
I disagree. BP is totally liable. All you have to do is send a copy of your monthly payment invoice to BP and they will gladly take care of it for you. No more worries and no more payments for you.

Did BP make him take out a loan?
Cmann is offline  
Old 05-28-2010, 10:58 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: East Coast NJ-FL
Posts: 250
Default

How are you at any financial loss because you couldn't use your boat?


Charter or commercial guy thats a different story.
puro_agave is offline  
Old 05-28-2010, 11:06 AM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,655
Default

Originally Posted by 2swift View Post
Here is a question for BP. If I live and boat in the affected areas and am unable to use my vessel but still have a monthly payment...Will BP be liable to pay my note until I am able to resume boating?

What do you want to pay for a gallon of gas in the future????

Wouldn't life be grand if there was no risk.
My Gal is offline  
Old 05-28-2010, 11:08 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 353
Default

Trust me, you will not get paid for this, YOU will be paying for this disaster. I hear that Long Island will have oil washed ashore before this over.
RLSmith is offline  
Old 05-28-2010, 11:14 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: East Coast NJ-FL
Posts: 250
Default

Originally Posted by RLSmith View Post
Trust me, you will not get paid for this, YOU will be paying for this disaster. I hear that Long Island will have oil washed ashore before this over.
no way!
puro_agave is offline  
Old 05-28-2010, 11:20 AM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,655
Default

Originally Posted by RLSmith View Post
Trust me, you will not get paid for this, YOU will be paying for this disaster. I hear that Long Island will have oil washed ashore before this over.
Hope you are wrong but it sounds like a looooong shot, local paper threat to generate some hype.
My Gal is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread