Notices

Steaks=Rare, Med or Burned?

Old 01-18-2010, 06:39 PM
  #101  
JJR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Jupiter, FL
Posts: 241
Default

Charred is my favorite.
JJR is offline  
Old 01-18-2010, 06:40 PM
  #102  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,406
Default

Originally Posted by wildgeechi View Post
Of course I can see it from your point of you... prepare for the hailstorm of men talking about women telling them what to do lol....
We own the pussy......we make the rules! (apologies if that humor is too vulgar for a non-bilge thread )



Originally Posted by wildgeechi View Post
Lastly, for the record the correct way to do it is to put the whole wasabi in the dish, and pour the soy on top of it without mixing... but this is for sashimi only.
Thanks for the tip on the "correct" way to eat Sushi.... I'm sure I couldn't possibly have known that.... despite the fact that I worked for a Japanese firm for a couple of years

I know I'm giving you a lot of shit here.... but it's not meant in a mean spirit. Just consider what you said in another post of yours where you declared you are looking for that independent non-clingy woman. Well women who fit that description typically don't like bossy know-it-alls telling us how to order and eat our food. Perhaps you should stick to the clingy dependent types who count on you for their every decision
Gulf Coast Girl is offline  
Old 01-18-2010, 06:43 PM
  #103  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,406
Default

Originally Posted by JEVLACH View Post
I don't know if I speak for anyone else on this forum but who give's rats --s how "chef sees it". Do you really think people go out to dinner so as not to offend the chef? That really is actually comical to consider, 'geesh I better order this right or I may offend the artist in the kitchen'. I have been to some of the finest restaurants Manhattan has to offer and that thought has never crossed my mind, maybe that's just me.
It's not just you
Gulf Coast Girl is offline  
Old 01-18-2010, 07:06 PM
  #104  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: toledo ohio
Posts: 1,251
Default

like any man i like a little pink in the center lol <<< med. is the way to go
centuarynick is offline  
Old 01-18-2010, 09:08 PM
  #105  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,292
Default

Originally Posted by JEVLACH View Post
For the record, I like my beef medium. However, I don't know if I speak for anyone else on this forum but who give's rats --s how "chef sees it". Do you really think people go out to dinner so as not to offend the chef? That really is actually comical to consider, 'geesh I better order this right or I may offend the artist in the kitchen'. I have been to some of the finest restaurants Manhattan has to offer and that thought has never crossed my mind, maybe that's just me.
Its not so much that the chef is going to come storming out of the kitchen and take back the food (though that has happened)... its more just that he is going to be upset/depressed/feeling as though he has failed, if people don't like the dish he designed. You'll probably never know that he was upset. REAL chefs are very involved with their clients both through the feedback they are getting from the waiter, and the occasional stroll through the floor if time permits. That being said, being courteous and thoughtful of others is something that I'm afraid is lost on the majority of Americans (and probably especially in New York)
wildgeechi is offline  
Old 01-18-2010, 09:12 PM
  #106  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,292
Default

Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Girl View Post
We own the pussy......we make the rules! (apologies if that humor is too vulgar for a non-bilge thread )





Thanks for the tip on the "correct" way to eat Sushi.... I'm sure I couldn't possibly have known that.... despite the fact that I worked for a Japanese firm for a couple of years

I know I'm giving you a lot of shit here.... but it's not meant in a mean spirit. Just consider what you said in another post of yours where you declared you are looking for that independent non-clingy woman. Well women who fit that description typically don't like bossy know-it-alls telling us how to order and eat our food. Perhaps you should stick to the clingy dependent types who count on you for their every decision
So you assume I am bossy because I shared what I know about something? I'm hardly pushy in a relationship. Sharing one's opinion and experiences is a pretty important part of a relationship....

Independence doesn't mean "f*#ck anything an man tells me.. I don't need a man for anything, I'm a modern independent woman... RAWWRRR!"
wildgeechi is offline  
Old 01-18-2010, 09:14 PM
  #107  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,292
Default

Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Girl View Post
We own the pussy......we make the rules! (apologies if that humor is too vulgar for a non-bilge thread )





Thanks for the tip on the "correct" way to eat Sushi.... I'm sure I couldn't possibly have known that.... despite the fact that I worked for a Japanese firm for a couple of years

I know I'm giving you a lot of shit here.... but it's not meant in a mean spirit. Just consider what you said in another post of yours where you declared you are looking for that independent non-clingy woman. Well women who fit that description typically don't like bossy know-it-alls telling us how to order and eat our food. Perhaps you should stick to the clingy dependent types who count on you for their every decision
So you assume I am bossy because I shared what I know about something? I'm hardly pushy in a relationship. Sharing one's opinion and experiences is a pretty important part of a relationship....

Independence doesn't mean "f*#ck anything an man tells me.. I don't need a man for anything, I'm a modern independent woman... RAWWRRR!"

And there is no pussy on this earth than makes any rules in my life or ever will. She can be a companion and share her life with me, me with her, and go through life as equals who offer opinions to the other without commanding or demanding anything, or she can f$ck off and find any of the willing suckers in this world to be with.
wildgeechi is offline  
Old 01-18-2010, 09:18 PM
  #108  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
PLEDGER
 
Bruce W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: VA
Posts: 14,983
Default

I like meat to be DEAD before I eat it!

No "pink" - VERY well done - or it goes BACK!

Regards,
Bruce W is offline  
Old 01-18-2010, 09:49 PM
  #109  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sharon Springs, NY
Posts: 4,515
Default

Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Girl View Post
It's not just you

You are right on here everytime I hear someone likes their prime cut well done, I shiver and get a little aggravated.

And I have no idea why
Mike Boehler is offline  
Old 01-18-2010, 09:52 PM
  #110  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,406
Default

Originally Posted by wildgeechi View Post
Its not so much that the chef is going to come storming out of the kitchen and take back the food (though that has happened)... its more just that he is going to be upset/depressed/feeling as though he has failed, if people don't like the dish he designed. You'll probably never know that he was upset. REAL chefs are very involved with their clients both through the feedback they are getting from the waiter, and the occasional stroll through the floor if time permits. That being said, being courteous and thoughtful of others is something that I'm afraid is lost on the majority of Americans (and probably especially in New York)
Oh please spare me the dramatics.... I've actually gone from begin irritated by your posts on this subject to LAUGHING MY ASS OFF because I just realized you are yanking our chains to get a reaction. WELL DONE!


Originally Posted by wildgeechi View Post
So you assume I am bossy because I shared what I know about something? I'm hardly pushy in a relationship. Sharing one's opinion and experiences is a pretty important part of a relationship....
No sweetie... I didn't assume anything... you're posts telling me I'm wrong in my choices and giving me the benefit of your unsolicited "expertise" tell the tale of your Modus operandi.

Originally Posted by wildgeechi View Post
Independence doesn't mean "f*#ck anything an man tells me.. I don't need a man for anything, I'm a modern independent woman... RAWWRRR!"
You are right about one thing... being independent doesn't mean "f**k anything a man tells me".... far from it.......but you fall short in understanding the subtle differences between "tells" and "offers".

I know you just turned 30 and are feeling all wise in your age.... but please let's not squabble over the details of what you posted and your intent..... the men here don't care and you aren't equipped to do battle with a female who will fight to the death over a hot button issue to prove her point. If nothing else... I'll bury you with my 12,000 words a day on the subject. A smart man would just let it go now.
Gulf Coast Girl is offline  
Old 01-18-2010, 10:52 PM
  #111  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,009
Default

Originally Posted by wildgeechi View Post
With nigiri (fish on rice) and rolls (which largely I've not seen served in Japan which makes me think the elaborate rolls are an American idea) you are supposed to trust that the chef has put the correct amount of wasabi between the fish and the rice and only dip the fish in the pure soy.
I have been to Japan more than 30 times and you are correct. Elaborate rolls (maki) are definitely a Western invention.
rat_catcher is offline  
Old 01-19-2010, 05:16 AM
  #112  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Punta del Este, URUGUAY
Posts: 1,518
Default

Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Girl View Post

Ahh yes, another faux pas I commit is mixing my wasabi in with the soy sauce in the little dipping dish.
I do the same. Tought by a jap in Osaka.
Mr. R. is offline  
Old 01-19-2010, 05:23 AM
  #113  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: South Shore Long Island
Posts: 1,114
Default

Originally Posted by wildgeechi View Post
Its not so much that the chef is going to come storming out of the kitchen and take back the food (though that has happened)... its more just that he is going to be upset/depressed/feeling as though he has failed, if people don't like the dish he designed. You'll probably never know that he was upset. REAL chefs are very involved with their clients both through the feedback they are getting from the waiter, and the occasional stroll through the floor if time permits. That being said, being courteous and thoughtful of others is something that I'm afraid is lost on the majority of Americans (and probably especially in New York)
Us New Yorkers don't know anything about fine dining, that's for sure, that's why the best restaurants on the planet are in New York but far be it from me to cause a chef to become "upset/depressed" because I ordered something 'improperly'. You obviously left the restaurant business to become and comedian, you're doing a great job so far.
JEVLACH is offline  
Old 01-19-2010, 05:44 AM
  #114  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 53,965
Default

6 f'in pages.
A Few Dollars is offline  
Old 01-19-2010, 06:12 AM
  #115  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,292
Default

Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Girl View Post
Oh please spare me the dramatics.... I've actually gone from begin irritated by your posts on this subject to LAUGHING MY ASS OFF because I just realized you are yanking our chains to get a reaction. WELL DONE!




No sweetie... I didn't assume anything... you're posts telling me I'm wrong in my choices and giving me the benefit of your unsolicited "expertise" tell the tale of your Modus operandi.



You are right about one thing... being independent doesn't mean "f**k anything a man tells me".... far from it.......but you fall short in understanding the subtle differences between "tells" and "offers".

I know you just turned 30 and are feeling all wise in your age.... but please let's not squabble over the details of what you posted and your intent..... the men here don't care and you aren't equipped to do battle with a female who will fight to the death over a hot button issue to prove her point. If nothing else... I'll bury you with my 12,000 words a day on the subject. A smart man would just let it go now.
I'm more than well equipped to go toe to toe with anyone in a debate on anything, and play on either side

p.s., never said your meat choice was wrong, I explained why waiters and chefs are they way they are. I only once suggested giving it a try. I personally try anything someone suggests. Maybe I'm just more open minded
wildgeechi is offline  
Old 01-19-2010, 06:14 AM
  #116  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 420
Default

I normally make a Porterhouse steak on our charchoal grill with some soaked wood chips. I salt and pepper my steaks and add some rub to it and let it sit in hte fridge for few hours. While im preparing my coals, i take out the steak and let it sit in a room tempature.

once my grill is pre-heated and coals are nice and ashy, I put my steak on the grill for 5 minutes, flip it and do another 4 minutes depending on the thickness. Once it's off the grill, it sits for another few minutes. This will make a steak medium with pink on the middle. I never poke a steak, to keep all the fat and juices inside.
Jacob_24 is offline  
Old 01-19-2010, 06:14 AM
  #117  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,292
Default

Originally Posted by rat_catcher View Post
I have been to Japan more than 30 times and you are correct. Elaborate rolls (maki) are definitely a Western invention.
yeah I've actually never seen anything but nigiri and sashimi. They would probably sh!t their pants if you asked for some cream cheese on the sushi lol.

What did you go to Japan so much for? I've been like 6 times or so I think. Grandparents lived there for a decade and my family has hosted several Japanese in the states, so I've always been around Japan and Japanese culture
wildgeechi is offline  
Old 01-19-2010, 06:16 AM
  #118  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,292
Default

Originally Posted by JEVLACH View Post
Us New Yorkers don't know anything about fine dining, that's for sure, that's why the best restaurants on the planet are in New York but far be it from me to cause a chef to become "upset/depressed" because I ordered something 'improperly'. You obviously left the restaurant business to become and comedian, you're doing a great job so far.
Like I said, you'd probably never know you offended the chef, and New Yorkers aren't known for being particularly courteous or nice. Ironic you've demonstrated both points in one post lol
wildgeechi is offline  
Old 01-19-2010, 06:29 AM
  #119  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 53,965
Default

Originally Posted by JEVLACH View Post
Us New Yorkers don't know anything about fine dining, that's for sure, that's why the best restaurants on the planet are in New York


New Orleans
A Few Dollars is offline  
Old 01-19-2010, 06:38 AM
  #120  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: South Shore Long Island
Posts: 1,114
Default

Originally Posted by wildgeechi View Post
you'd probably never know you offended the chef,
..or cared, which is my point.
JEVLACH is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread