Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

MY BLONDE DAUGHTER and microwave??

Notices

MY BLONDE DAUGHTER and microwave??

Old 01-12-2010, 12:33 PM
  #1  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: anderson, sc
Posts: 18,528
Default MY BLONDE DAUGHTER and microwave??

Well this morning I was sitting in the den drinking my coffee and watching Mike & Mike on ESPN 2 and heard what I thought was daughter or wife put something in our microwave. I then heard popping and thought to myself why in hell is one of them popping pop corn at 7 am.

Next thing I hear is my 16 yr old daughter say "Daddy the microwave is on fire". Well I went in the kitchen and daughter had put one of these plastic travel mugs with a metal liner in the microwave and did not realize what she had done.

Got he cup out and no damage to the interior of microwave(it was sitting on the glass plate that rotates) and just a little smoke and sut

Now my question is did it harm the microwave, I have had a couple of folks tell me that it is screwed.

How do I test it

I have a couple of appliance repair guys as clients and have called them and left message to maybe get them to look at it to make sure
tprice is offline  
Old 01-12-2010, 12:35 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: On The Razors Edge
Posts: 9,934
Default

Try microwaving some popocorn!
Just1more is offline  
Old 01-12-2010, 12:38 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Suffolk, Va.
Posts: 17,015
Default

Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
Try microwaving some popocorn!
Yep. Microwaves don't break they just get old and we throw them away.
fishingfun is online now  
Old 01-12-2010, 01:08 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 1,453
Default

just put a cup of water in and see if it heats up.. ...
devildogdad is offline  
Old 01-12-2010, 01:14 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
240 LTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upper Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 20,688
Default

My first thought was devildogs answer but I like just1more's answer better

Just heat a cup of water, let us know.
240 LTS is online now  
Old 01-12-2010, 01:30 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location:
Posts: 953
Default

Please refer to this link:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside...-buff-out.html
ISLANDER11 is offline  
Old 01-12-2010, 01:31 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,290
Default

Originally Posted by devildogdad View Post
just put a cup of water in and see if it heats up.. ...
But not a metal cup!
NJFISH is online now  
Old 01-12-2010, 03:05 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
240 LTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upper Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 20,688
Default

Not to derail the OP question, "Now my question is did it harm the microwave"

But while we are on the microwave subject, please read this warning.

Never heat water just by itself in the microwave. It could explode when you remove it from the oven.

We may have discussed this before.

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/...-the-microwave
240 LTS is online now  
Old 01-12-2010, 03:18 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,119
Default

Originally Posted by 240 LTS View Post
Not to derail the OP question, "Now my question is did it harm the microwave"

But while we are on the microwave subject, please read this warning.

Never heat water just by itself in the microwave. It could explode when you remove it from the oven.

We may have discussed this before.

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/...-the-microwave
Well "maybe" devildogdad knew this and wanted to f_ _k Tommy up? It was probably just an oversight or lack of knowledge on the devils part.


Garett is offline  
Old 01-12-2010, 03:26 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lafayette, La.
Posts: 3,920
Default

I heat cups of water in the micro almost every day. I've read that on the internet about the dangers but I don't think that test had much to do with reality. I nuke a coffe cupful for 2 minutes with no problems at all.
Mike
beenie is offline  
Old 01-12-2010, 04:10 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sharon Springs, NY
Posts: 4,515
Default

Originally Posted by tprice View Post
Well this morning I was sitting in the den drinking my coffee and watching Mike & Mike on ESPN 2 and heard what I thought was daughter or wife put something in our microwave. I then heard popping and thought to myself why in hell is one of them popping pop corn at 7 am.

Next thing I hear is my 16 yr old daughter say "Daddy the microwave is on fire". Well I went in the kitchen and daughter had put one of these plastic travel mugs with a metal liner in the microwave and did not realize what she had done.

Got he cup out and no damage to the interior of microwave(it was sitting on the glass plate that rotates) and just a little smoke and sut

Now my question is did it harm the microwave, I have had a couple of folks tell me that it is screwed.

How do I test it

I have a couple of appliance repair guys as clients and have called them and left message to maybe get them to look at it to make sure

Don't know about your microwave but your penance for today shall be coming clean to your daughter that you used the words "BLONDE DAUGHTER" on a message board.

On second thought, better hide that booze
Mike Boehler is offline  
Old 01-12-2010, 04:44 PM
  #12  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: anderson, sc
Posts: 18,528
Default

Originally Posted by Mike Boehler View Post
Don't know about your microwave but your penance for today shall be coming clean to your daughter that you used the words "BLONDE DAUGHTER" on a message board.

On second thought, better hide that booze
She has a bumper sticker on her car that says "Caution Blonde Thinking and Driving"

Yea still worry about the booze with her


Admiral did turn the microwave on and it is poppping so she turned it back off, I guess it is fired
tprice is offline  
Old 01-12-2010, 04:46 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
240 LTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upper Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 20,688
Default

Originally Posted by beenie View Post
I heat cups of water in the micro almost every day. I've read that on the internet about the dangers but I don't think that test had much to do with reality. I nuke a coffe cupful for 2 minutes with no problems at all.
Mike


Just a warning I wanted to pass along.
If it working for you then keep on keepin on.



Quote from the article:
"Why? This phenomenon is known as superheating. It can occur anytime water is heated - especially if the cup or bowl is new. What happens is that the water heats faster than the vapor bubbles can form. If the cup is very new, then it is unlikely to have small surface scratches in it that provide a place for the bubbles to form (called nucleation sites)."
240 LTS is online now  
Old 01-12-2010, 04:50 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 1,453
Default

No I didn't want to f**k anyone up. I heat coffee up all the time in the microwave. Also my wife places a bowl of water in there and turns in on so steam forms inside. This makes it easier to clean the inside. I never heard of water exploding in a microwave oven.
devildogdad is offline  
Old 01-12-2010, 05:13 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Amelia Island, FL
Posts: 4,668
Default

I just put my microwave in a cup of water and it did explode. Proof positive.







=
Reel Boobs is offline  
Old 01-12-2010, 06:20 PM
  #16  
Joe
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Mt Pleasant, SC
Posts: 16,065
Default

We had a girl at work a few years back put a frozen burrito in the microwave (and walk off)--for FOURTEEN MINUTES! What an idiot! What cooks in the microwave for 14 minutes? A turkey? A Pork shoulder?

It ruined the microwave from the smell so bad it had to be thrown away. It also ruined the hallway to the break room for a couple weeks. We had to have fans running all day just to keep it from "stagnating". It was unbearable.
Joe is offline  
Old 01-12-2010, 06:24 PM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
240 LTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upper Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 20,688
Default

Originally Posted by Joe View Post
We had a girl at work a few years back put a frozen burrito in the microwave (and walk off)--for FOURTEEN MINUTES! What an idiot! What cooks in the microwave for 14 minutes? A turkey? A Pork shoulder?

It ruined the microwave from the smell so bad it had to be thrown away. It also ruined the hallway to the break room for a couple weeks. We had to have fans running all day just to keep it from "stagnating". It was unbearable.
What color was her hair?
I'm just sayin...
Don't mean no harm.
240 LTS is online now  
Old 01-12-2010, 06:26 PM
  #18  
Joe
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Mt Pleasant, SC
Posts: 16,065
Default

Originally Posted by 240 LTS View Post
What color was her hair?
I'm just sayin...
Don't mean no harm.

Actually..she was a brunette. Just not a very smart one.
Joe is offline  
Old 01-12-2010, 06:33 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
240 LTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upper Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 20,688
Default

I prefer brunettes but married a blonde. I told her there are exceptions to every rule.

Last edited by 240 LTS; 01-13-2010 at 04:20 AM.
240 LTS is online now  
Old 01-12-2010, 07:41 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chapel Hill and PKS, North Carolina
Posts: 6,613
Default

Originally Posted by beenie View Post
I heat cups of water in the micro almost every day. I've read that on the internet about the dangers but I don't think that test had much to do with reality. I nuke a coffe cupful for 2 minutes with no problems at all.
Mike
I have the opposite results almost daily. I make a pot of coffee, have a cup, and turn the pot off. If I want more during the day, I pour a cup and heat it in the microwave. I watch it until it starts bubbling, but often instead of small bubbles, it will be one sudden large bubble that blows half the cup of coffee out. Other times, I might take a cup of hot coffee or water out of the mv, and the shock of sitting it in the counter top will cause the same reaction. I never thought about it heating faster than it could vaporize. I guess it has to do with the output of the mv. Mine boils a full cup of water or coffee in 90 to 95 seconds.
glacierbaze is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread