The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Dockside Chat (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat-18/)
-   -   MY BLONDE DAUGHTER and microwave?? (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/261159-my-blonde-daughter-microwave.html)

tprice 01-12-2010 12:33 PM

MY BLONDE DAUGHTER and microwave??
 
Well this morning I was sitting in the den drinking my coffee and watching Mike & Mike on ESPN 2 and heard what I thought was daughter or wife put something in our microwave. I then heard popping and thought to myself why in hell is one of them popping pop corn at 7 am.

Next thing I hear is my 16 yr old daughter say "Daddy the microwave is on fire":o:o:o:o:o. Well I went in the kitchen and daughter had put one of these plastic travel mugs with a metal liner in the microwave and did not realize what she had done.

Got he cup out and no damage to the interior of microwave(it was sitting on the glass plate that rotates) and just a little smoke and sut

Now my question is did it harm the microwave, I have had a couple of folks tell me that it is screwed.

How do I test it;?;?

I have a couple of appliance repair guys as clients and have called them and left message to maybe get them to look at it to make sure

Just1more 01-12-2010 12:35 PM

Try microwaving some popocorn! :grin:

fishingfun 01-12-2010 12:38 PM


Originally Posted by Just1more (Post 2718622)
Try microwaving some popocorn! :grin:

Yep. Microwaves don't break they just get old and we throw them away.

devildogdad 01-12-2010 01:08 PM

just put a cup of water in and see if it heats up.. ...

240 LTS 01-12-2010 01:14 PM

My first thought was devildogs answer but I like just1more's answer better:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just heat a cup of water, let us know.

ISLANDER11 01-12-2010 01:30 PM

Please refer to this link:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside...-buff-out.html

NJFISH 01-12-2010 01:31 PM


Originally Posted by devildogdad (Post 2718694)
just put a cup of water in and see if it heats up.. ...

But not a metal cup! :grin:

240 LTS 01-12-2010 03:05 PM

Not to derail the OP question, "Now my question is did it harm the microwave"

But while we are on the microwave subject, please read this warning.

Never heat water just by itself in the microwave. It could explode when you remove it from the oven.

We may have discussed this before.

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/...-the-microwave

Garett 01-12-2010 03:18 PM


Originally Posted by 240 LTS (Post 2718974)
Not to derail the OP question, "Now my question is did it harm the microwave"

But while we are on the microwave subject, please read this warning.

Never heat water just by itself in the microwave. It could explode when you remove it from the oven.

We may have discussed this before.

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/...-the-microwave

Well "maybe" devildogdad knew this and wanted to f_ _k Tommy up? ;? It was probably just an oversight or lack of knowledge on the devils part. ;?
:rofl:
:jk:
:rofl:

beenie 01-12-2010 03:26 PM

I heat cups of water in the micro almost every day. I've read that on the internet about the dangers but I don't think that test had much to do with reality. I nuke a coffe cupful for 2 minutes with no problems at all.
Mike

Mike Boehler 01-12-2010 04:10 PM


Originally Posted by tprice (Post 2718617)
Well this morning I was sitting in the den drinking my coffee and watching Mike & Mike on ESPN 2 and heard what I thought was daughter or wife put something in our microwave. I then heard popping and thought to myself why in hell is one of them popping pop corn at 7 am.

Next thing I hear is my 16 yr old daughter say "Daddy the microwave is on fire":o:o:o:o:o. Well I went in the kitchen and daughter had put one of these plastic travel mugs with a metal liner in the microwave and did not realize what she had done.

Got he cup out and no damage to the interior of microwave(it was sitting on the glass plate that rotates) and just a little smoke and sut

Now my question is did it harm the microwave, I have had a couple of folks tell me that it is screwed.

How do I test it;?;?

I have a couple of appliance repair guys as clients and have called them and left message to maybe get them to look at it to make sure


Don't know about your microwave but your penance for today shall be coming clean to your daughter that you used the words "BLONDE DAUGHTER" on a message board.

On second thought, better hide that booze:grin:

tprice 01-12-2010 04:44 PM


Originally Posted by Mike Boehler (Post 2719118)
Don't know about your microwave but your penance for today shall be coming clean to your daughter that you used the words "BLONDE DAUGHTER" on a message board.

On second thought, better hide that booze:grin:

She has a bumper sticker on her car that says "Caution Blonde Thinking and Driving":grin::grin:

Yea still worry about the booze with her:grin::grin:


Admiral did turn the microwave on and it is poppping so she turned it back off, I guess it is fired;?;?

240 LTS 01-12-2010 04:46 PM


Originally Posted by beenie (Post 2719016)
I heat cups of water in the micro almost every day. I've read that on the internet about the dangers but I don't think that test had much to do with reality. I nuke a coffe cupful for 2 minutes with no problems at all.
Mike



Just a warning I wanted to pass along.
If it working for you then keep on keepin on.



Quote from the article:
"Why? This phenomenon is known as superheating. It can occur anytime water is heated - especially if the cup or bowl is new. What happens is that the water heats faster than the vapor bubbles can form. If the cup is very new, then it is unlikely to have small surface scratches in it that provide a place for the bubbles to form (called nucleation sites)."

devildogdad 01-12-2010 04:50 PM

No I didn't want to f**k anyone up. I heat coffee up all the time in the microwave. Also my wife places a bowl of water in there and turns in on so steam forms inside. This makes it easier to clean the inside. I never heard of water exploding in a microwave oven.

Reel Boobs 01-12-2010 05:13 PM

I just put my microwave in a cup of water and it did explode. Proof positive.







=

Joe 01-12-2010 06:20 PM

We had a girl at work a few years back put a frozen burrito in the microwave (and walk off)--for FOURTEEN MINUTES! What an idiot! What cooks in the microwave for 14 minutes? A turkey? A Pork shoulder?

It ruined the microwave from the smell so bad it had to be thrown away. It also ruined the hallway to the break room for a couple weeks. We had to have fans running all day just to keep it from "stagnating". It was unbearable.

240 LTS 01-12-2010 06:24 PM


Originally Posted by Joe (Post 2719424)
We had a girl at work a few years back put a frozen burrito in the microwave (and walk off)--for FOURTEEN MINUTES! What an idiot! What cooks in the microwave for 14 minutes? A turkey? A Pork shoulder?

It ruined the microwave from the smell so bad it had to be thrown away. It also ruined the hallway to the break room for a couple weeks. We had to have fans running all day just to keep it from "stagnating". It was unbearable.

What color was her hair?;?
I'm just sayin...:roll
Don't mean no harm.:grin:

Joe 01-12-2010 06:26 PM


Originally Posted by 240 LTS (Post 2719437)
What color was her hair?;?
I'm just sayin...:roll
Don't mean no harm.:grin:


Actually..she was a brunette. Just not a very smart one. ;)

240 LTS 01-12-2010 06:33 PM

I prefer brunettes but married a blonde. I told her there are exceptions to every rule.

glacierbaze 01-12-2010 07:41 PM


Originally Posted by beenie (Post 2719016)
I heat cups of water in the micro almost every day. I've read that on the internet about the dangers but I don't think that test had much to do with reality. I nuke a coffe cupful for 2 minutes with no problems at all.
Mike

I have the opposite results almost daily. I make a pot of coffee, have a cup, and turn the pot off. If I want more during the day, I pour a cup and heat it in the microwave. I watch it until it starts bubbling, but often instead of small bubbles, it will be one sudden large bubble that blows half the cup of coffee out. Other times, I might take a cup of hot coffee or water out of the mv, and the shock of sitting it in the counter top will cause the same reaction. I never thought about it heating faster than it could vaporize. I guess it has to do with the output of the mv. Mine boils a full cup of water or coffee in 90 to 95 seconds.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.