Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

MY BLONDE DAUGHTER and microwave??

Notices

MY BLONDE DAUGHTER and microwave??

Old 01-13-2010, 12:03 AM
  #21  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,168
Default

Frankly I don't much care what colour their hair is......was she doable? Dumb and doable works for me just about every time.
Garett is offline  
Old 01-13-2010, 07:29 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: RI
Posts: 1,513
Default

Something I learned to do a couple of years back is to actually use the "Power Level" button on the microwave, rather than heating stuff on 100% power all the time.

For example, take a can of soup, instead of two minutes at 100% high power in a bowl, I will heat it for 4 minutes or so on 60-70% power.

Makes a HUGE difference in the "even-ness" of the heating and way less explosions.

It only took me 20 years to figure that one out.
SweetD is offline  
Old 01-13-2010, 07:34 AM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 4,447
Default

When I was in college and living in the dorms the fun thing to do was put blank CD's into your microwave and watch them spark and dance. Eventually the metalic surface of your cd shatters.

Oh those were the days. Its been a long time since I tried that or had a drunken desk chair race down a hallway.
beber is offline  
Old 01-13-2010, 10:21 AM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 452
Wink

Originally Posted by tprice View Post
Well this morning I was sitting in the den drinking my coffee and watching Mike & Mike on ESPN 2 and heard what I thought was daughter or wife put something in our microwave. I then heard popping and thought to myself why in hell is one of them popping pop corn at 7 am.

Next thing I hear is my 16 yr old daughter say "Daddy the microwave is on fire". Well I went in the kitchen and daughter had put one of these plastic travel mugs with a metal liner in the microwave and did not realize what she had done.

Got he cup out and no damage to the interior of microwave(it was sitting on the glass plate that rotates) and just a little smoke and sut

Now my question is did it harm the microwave, I have had a couple of folks tell me that it is screwed.

How do I test it

I have a couple of appliance repair guys as clients and have called them and left message to maybe get them to look at it to make sure
I think the microwave is still okay but if you want to be sure bring it to repairman.Maybe the one she put inside that is the one which make the inside part of the micro sut...
FloatUpRiver is offline  
Old 01-13-2010, 10:33 AM
  #25  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: seattle, wa
Posts: 5,934
Default

You do not need to take your microwave to a repair man. A microwave works by energizing metal bars on either side rhythmically and alternating each side. When you put a conductor like metal in, a current is induced and will ignite things in microwave. The actual microwave itself is probably fine. You should try to microwave something (not metallic this time) if you feel you should test it.

The reason why you are at risk from "exploding" water is because the microwave heats the water quickly and without convection currents that release the dissolved air bubbles from the water. This is what scientists call a superheated fluid. It is most likely not the case. It is rare that your water will boil once you remove it because most microwaves today have rotating plates that agitate the water enough to release the dissolved gasses. It would also be recommended that if you zap water for a long time and it looks suspicously still in the microwave, stir it first. When you touch it with your hand, it would be possible to agitate the fluid and bring it to a boil. Unfortunately many people are already holding the water in their hand and the water jumps out of the cup and they cant put the cup down fast enough. If it is stirred first with a long stick then you can be sure that it will not boil over after you pick it up.
miike is offline  
Old 01-13-2010, 10:39 AM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Suffolk, Va.
Posts: 17,067
Default

Originally Posted by SweetD View Post
Something I learned to do a couple of years back is to actually use the "Power Level" button on the microwave, rather than heating stuff on 100% power all the time.

For example, take a can of soup, instead of two minutes at 100% high power in a bowl, I will heat it for 4 minutes or so on 60-70% power.

Makes a HUGE difference in the "even-ness" of the heating and way less explosions.

It only took me 20 years to figure that one out.
Yea, when I can get it to stop flashing 12:00 I'll try that.
fishingfun is offline  
Old 01-13-2010, 05:18 PM
  #27  
Joe
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Mt Pleasant, SC
Posts: 16,111
Default

Originally Posted by beber View Post
When I was in college and living in the dorms the fun thing to do was put blank CD's into your microwave and watch them spark and dance. Eventually the metalic surface of your cd shatters.

Oh those were the days. Its been a long time since I tried that or had a drunken desk chair race down a hallway.
You should try fluorescent light bulbs in one
Joe is offline  
Old 01-13-2010, 06:27 PM
  #28  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: anderson, sc
Posts: 18,593
Default

Originally Posted by Joe View Post
You should try fluorescent light bulbs in one
Must be a story here
tprice is offline  
Old 01-13-2010, 06:38 PM
  #29  
Joe
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Mt Pleasant, SC
Posts: 16,111
Default

The real story is seeing how long roaches will live in the microwave.
Joe is offline  
Old 01-13-2010, 07:27 PM
  #30  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
240 LTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upper Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 20,698
Default

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwCjVj5EyKQ
240 LTS is offline  
Old 01-17-2010, 10:54 AM
  #31  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: anderson, sc
Posts: 18,593
Default

Update, talked with appliance repairman and he said it should be ok as long as the insides of the microwave was not damaged from the flame.

It was very small flame so we cleaned sut out of microwave and put a glass of water in it like he suggested and turned it on, no problems and water got hot like always
tprice is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread