The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Dockside Chat (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat-18/)
-   -   riding lawnmower recomendations... please!!! (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/259865-riding-lawnmower-recomendations-please.html)

centuarynick 01-05-2010 11:28 PM

i paid the neighbor kid to cut my lawn . took me 2 hrs with a push mower till i bought an old murrrey rideing lawn mower last spring .. i got it down to 35 mins and an hr cutting my neighbors yard too .. come to think of it that lawn mower payed for it self 10 times over through out the summer ....




score

emudryj 01-06-2010 06:58 AM

I'm going to take a shot at this one and see what happens...

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/grd/1537767903.html

JD 48 inch 22hp, 57 hs....seems to fit the bill...
any comments?

netman9 01-06-2010 07:54 AM


Originally Posted by emudryj (Post 2703770)
I still do not get the advantage of the walk behind mowers over the riding ones....
the walk behind seem to be very popolar among the proffesionals and the riding ones more popular among the do-it-yourself-home-owners... is that rigth???

A guy once told me that if on a hot summer day you had the choice of walking or sitting enjoying a cold beverage while mowing which would you want, the choice comes around once a week.

v70cat 01-06-2010 08:07 AM

[quote=emudryj;2703770]I still do not get the advantage of the walk behind mowers over the riding ones....
the walk behind seem to be very popolar among the proffesionals and the riding ones more popular among the do-it-yourself-home-owners... is that rigth???

Either way, I may have between 35000 sqf and 1 acre to cut. I more inclined for the riding mowers because It looks by the pictures that the walk behind mowers takes more space if you want to store in the garage than the riding ones.
What do you think???

I think most home-owners are to lazy to walk behind. No question that the machines the landscapers use are higher quality. The solution might be a walk behind with a little riding platform.

fidhhook54 01-06-2010 12:54 PM


Originally Posted by emudryj (Post 2705794)
I'm going to take a shot at this one and see what happens...

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/grd/1537767903.html

JD 48 inch 22hp, 57 hs....seems to fit the bill...
any comments?

no way that mower has 57 hours, look at the deck...

over 200 Hrs easy.

Semper Fi-sh 01-06-2010 01:48 PM

[quote=v70cat;2705948]

Originally Posted by emudryj (Post 2703770)
I still do not get the advantage of the walk behind mowers over the riding ones....
the walk behind seem to be very popolar among the proffesionals and the riding ones more popular among the do-it-yourself-home-owners... is that rigth???

Either way, I may have between 35000 sqf and 1 acre to cut. I more inclined for the riding mowers because It looks by the pictures that the walk behind mowers takes more space if you want to store in the garage than the riding ones.
What do you think???

I think most home-owners are to lazy to walk behind. No question that the machines the landscapers use are higher quality. The solution might be a walk behind with a little riding platform.

that would be called a sulky...

http://www.greenindustrypros.com/ima...92835_p2_6.jpg

if you got hemroids i would NOT recommend a sitdown

gotta love these homeowners buying up this crap..keeps me in business!

kone 01-06-2010 01:59 PM

Should have a meter on it.

Not sure but it looks like Home Depot/JD. I'd try to find a "real" JD with cast iron frame, etc. even if you have to go older.


Originally Posted by fidhhook54 (Post 2706500)
no way that mower has 57 hours, look at the deck...

over 200 Hrs easy.


Bob's Cay 01-06-2010 02:00 PM

I have had a Snapper for 20+ years. Great mower with a proven, simplistic design that works.

CMP 01-06-2010 02:10 PM

The happiest day of my yard-hating life came when my ride mower finally died. It was an hour to an hour and a half of being annoyed at having to do this task. Now, three guys show up, 2 with weed wackers, one with a stand-up rider with catch bag. They're done in around 20 minutes and it looks far better than anything I ever did. Best $50 a week I spend, by far...

CMP

Mist-Rest 01-06-2010 04:39 PM

A walk behind will out cut any rider out there unless it's a zero turn. It also allows you to cut straight lines. I've fired company's that can't cut straight lines.

There's a reason they are sold and used by pros.

Eyehooker 01-06-2010 04:49 PM

Save $$$ and buy a Deere--- Had amny and most are junk after a few years-- Gibson makes a lot and puts other names-- also it want to plow snow snow ask before buying-- most of the transmission will NOT take it

theolog 01-06-2010 04:58 PM

In that price range I would look at Craftsman and John Deere.

Eyehooker 01-06-2010 05:08 PM

JD looks good and the assessories are great ie Blades 50/set

Semper Fi-sh 01-06-2010 05:16 PM


Originally Posted by CMP (Post 2706658)
The happiest day of my yard-hating life came when my ride mower finally died. It was an hour to an hour and a half of being annoyed at having to do this task. Now, three guys show up, 2 with weed wackers, one with a stand-up rider with catch bag. They're done in around 20 minutes and it looks far better than anything I ever did. Best $50 a week I spend, by far...

CMP

ill do it for 40 per cut and everything plus blow the grass clipping off the drive and walkways :grin:

as long as your within 15 miles from sandwich of course ;)

Semper Fi-sh 01-06-2010 05:22 PM

If you get a weed wacka too, do yourself a favor and buy an echo strait shaft for 199.00 at home depot.. I got three and there all running. one is 6 years old..use it 50 times a week during the season.. funny story too, i ran over one and bent the shaft and it still works :rofl:..

everyone at THT..who doesnt already know and do me a favor and stop buying those 79.00 and 99.00 dollar bent shaft hardware store Poulan piece of garbages..I'm sick of seeing them at the dump!

thank you

demjjm 01-06-2010 05:29 PM


Originally Posted by fidhhook54 (Post 2706500)
no way that mower has 57 hours, look at the deck...

over 200 Hrs easy.



That deck could look that way with 57 hours by south florida standards. In the summer our grass is thick and high in the matter of a week and more times than not it is wet from the constant rain. The new cub cadet has a deck wash system that is pretty cool for cleaning the wet grass out from under the cutting deck.

Semper Fi-sh 01-06-2010 05:33 PM


Originally Posted by demjjm (Post 2707107)
That deck could look that way with 57 hours by south florida standards. In the summer our grass is thick and high in the matter of a week and more times than not it is wet from the constant rain. The new cub cadet has a deck wash system that is pretty cool for cleaning the wet grass out from under the cutting deck.

yeah you guys got that zoysiagrass down there..stuff is brutal..

actually i use to have some customers that tried growing that up here and its only green july-sept..lol..long story longer..they had me rip it up cause the neighbors were complaining about the grass creeping into there yard.

fidhhook54 01-06-2010 06:53 PM


Originally Posted by kone (Post 2706637)
Should have a meter on it.

Not sure but it looks like Home Depot/JD. I'd try to find a "real" JD with cast iron frame, etc. even if you have to go older.

yeah, its Miami, the meter was disconnected or it stop working
5 hours ago...

fidhhook54 01-06-2010 06:58 PM


Originally Posted by demjjm (Post 2707107)
That deck could look that way with 57 hours by south florida standards. In the summer our grass is thick and high in the matter of a week and more times than not it is wet from the constant rain. The new cub cadet has a deck wash system that is pretty cool for cleaning the wet grass out from under the cutting deck.


My deck with 170+ hours does not look that bad, I'm in Florida,
also note that the guy said he mowed 5+ acre proriety,
if you go to a dealer they will tell you you need
a bigger mower than that for 5 acres...

Never mow wet grass, the water gets into the parts and
they have a shorter life.

demjjm 01-06-2010 07:03 PM


Originally Posted by fidhhook54 (Post 2707295)
My deck with 170+ hours does not look that bad, I'm in Florida,
also note that the guy said he mowed 5+ acre proriety,
if you go to a dealer they will tell you you need
a bigger mower than that for 5 acres...

Never mow wet grass, the water gets into the parts and
they have a shorter life.

How do you avoid wet grass in FL in the summertime ;?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.