Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Aetna Small Business Health Insurance Policy up 20.2% this year for me.

Notices

Aetna Small Business Health Insurance Policy up 20.2% this year for me.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:34 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,694
Default Aetna Small Business Health Insurance Policy up 20.2% this year for me.

Any ideas?
OldPete is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 06:35 AM
  #2  
Joe
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Mt Pleasant, SC
Posts: 16,061
Default

Blue Cross?
Joe is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 06:37 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,694
Default

Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Blue Cross?
That would be about double what I pay now. So that's a no go.
OldPete is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 06:40 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South East Pa
Posts: 9,323
Default

My boss was screaming about the same thing last week for his company of 80 employes. I'm on my wife's Blue Cross Federal Plan. It works out to about 1/2 the price of the Aetna
FASTFJR is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 07:03 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,694
Default

Originally Posted by FASTFJR View Post
My boss was screaming about the same thing last week for his company of 80 employes. I'm on my wife's Blue Cross Federal Plan. It works out to about 1/2 the price of the Aetna
That isn't an option either since my wife and I are on the same Group ID.
OldPete is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 07:15 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 787
Default

Our small company (51-100 employees) health insurance increased by 56% this year. National average increase is near 15%. Things could be worse for your OP
onejacker is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 07:36 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,694
Default

Originally Posted by onejacker View Post
Our small company (51-100 employees) health insurance increased by 56% this year. National average increase is near 15%. Things could be worse for your OP
I'm beginning to think you may be right. We barely went up 1% last year. But even if you average it out, we're still looking at 10%+ a year. I don't know about you, but that is not acceptable.
OldPete is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 08:33 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South East Pa
Posts: 9,323
Default

This is my companies' 4th year with Aetna. Year one it went up 8%, year two and three 18-24%. For next year they told us is going up 35-40%. What kills the owner of my company is we have 12 less employees than 14 months ago. Its going to come a time VERY soon he'll no long be able to offer it. This coming from a guy who was always very happy and proud of the fact he could offer health care to his employee's.
FASTFJR is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 08:36 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,694
Default

Originally Posted by FASTFJR View Post
This is my companies' 4th year with Aetna. Year one it went up 8%, year two and three 18-24%. For next year they told us is going up 35-40%. What kills the owner of my company is we have 12 less employees than 14 months ago. Its going to come a time VERY soon he'll no long be able to offer it. This coming from a guy who was always very happy and proud of the fact he could offer health care to his employee's.
I'm starting to think I should be happy. ? . I just spoke with a broker and he said I'm paying a GREAT rate for what I have. I dunno.
OldPete is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 08:39 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,813
Default

I am a govt employee..Our Aetna is going up 12 to 15 percent this year...
Cracker is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 08:45 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South East Pa
Posts: 9,323
Default

Here's something frighting...........At my company 9 years ago, with 78 employees cost the owner a little under 200K a year. In 2009 with less employees and less features his bill around 800K. And we don't need a new system???? Something must be done.
FASTFJR is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 08:59 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,694
Default

Originally Posted by FASTFJR View Post
Here's something frighting...........At my company 9 years ago, with 78 employees cost the owner a little under 200K a year. In 2009 with less employees and less features his bill around 800K. And we don't need a new system???? Something must be done.
You know. The last thing I want to do is start a political thing here. But I will say two things.

1) Yes. Something needs to be done.
2) What are my options?
OldPete is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 09:16 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: L.I. Sound. CT
Posts: 4,610
Default

I was in insurance for years.. Best thing you can do is shop it every year. Stop calling the big guys and find an Independent insurance agent near you and if they can handle health care, go through them. They will get you the best options and probably represent the company you already have, along with several others so you can get an apple to apples comparison. Also, the independents work thier arse off for your business...

Also, try you local chamber of commerce. In CT you can join the chamber and get group rates for companies as little as one person.
wmalloy382 is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 09:28 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: MA
Posts: 3,229
Default

Change to a much higher deductible plan. Looks like that is they way we are going this year to lessen the 15% increase expected from BCBS.
Tuna Colada is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 09:31 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,694
Default

Originally Posted by Tuna Colada View Post
Change to a much higher deductible plan. Looks like that is they way we are going this year to lessen the 15% increase expected from BCBS.
I already have the highest ded. and max out of pocket that Aetna offers.

The cost of the plan does not change based on who the agent is. I have spoken with indy. agents and they are amazed at how little I am paying already.

I shop it yearly. Aetna from 07 or 08 was awesome. Like I said. 1% increase. But 20.2% is not good.
OldPete is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 10:06 AM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 8,232
Default

I have a United Healthcare small business plan and our premium has consistently increased around 16% a year. Each year, we end up taking a lower benefit plan to help keep the cost down. Currently have an HSA with 5,000 deductible.
Sprockets is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 10:17 AM
  #17  
KJS
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Where I go, there I am
Posts: 16,761
Default

We actually hire an insurance broker that shops around for us every year. They do a pretty good job.
KJS is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 12:19 PM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Long Island,NY
Posts: 11,967
Default

Originally Posted by FASTFJR View Post
Here's something frighting...........At my company 9 years ago, with 78 employees cost the owner a little under 200K a year. In 2009 with less employees and less features his bill around 800K. And we don't need a new system???? Something must be done.
Nine years ago if someone went to the hospital complaining of chest pains earlier a few relatively simple tests would be done and the patient would be sent home if he seemed to be ok and the tests did not show any abnomality. Today there is a laundrey list of tests, several of which are quite complex and very expensive, that will be administered over the next day and a half while the patient is admitted. Follow up visits will also be prescribed. This is part of the reason why costs have increased by a factor of 4 over that nine year stretch.
SeaJay is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 12:54 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South East Pa
Posts: 9,323
Default

Originally Posted by SeaJay View Post
Nine years ago if someone went to the hospital complaining of chest pains earlier a few relatively simple tests would be done and the patient would be sent home if he seemed to be ok and the tests did not show any abnomality. Today there is a laundrey list of tests, several of which are quite complex and very expensive, that will be administered over the next day and a half while the patient is admitted. Follow up visits will also be prescribed. This is part of the reason why costs have increased by a factor of 4 over that nine year stretch.

That, and every have wit with their law suits.
FASTFJR is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 01:05 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberPLEDGERPLEDGERCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: ATL & SAV
Posts: 12,246
Default

You haven't seen anything yet.......when all insurance companies are told they have to:1) cover all pre-existing conditions; 2) triple the level of services they provide; and, 3) eliminate or expand lifetime caps ........ you are going look back at your current rate and cry. Get your doc to give you some KY jelly to prepare you for Washington DC's "reform" of the hc industry.

FWIW - Aetna's medical costs skyrocketed in the last 6 months as unemployed folks on COBRA have been living in their doctor's offices since they don't have anyhting else to do.
Tireless is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread