Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

THT Smoking Quitters Club - daily reports

Notices
Like Tree4Likes

THT Smoking Quitters Club - daily reports

Old 05-27-2018, 08:52 AM
  #1701  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Englewood, Fl
Posts: 301
Default

Thank you for bringing this thread back to life. I to need to quit, a promise to my wife that passed last week.
natecert is offline  
Old 05-27-2018, 06:05 PM
  #1702  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 493
Default

Been trying for a few weeks but can't seem to stop completely. I need 1 when I come home from work and 1 when I go to bed.
Maranvin is online now  
Old 05-27-2018, 07:58 PM
  #1703  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 3,741
Default

Originally Posted by Maranvin View Post
Been trying for a few weeks but can't seem to stop completely. I need 1 when I come home from work and 1 when I go to bed.
Man, you're doing great. I don't know how anyone can do 2 or 3 smokes and put them down. I had a barber that smoked three a say. Been doing it for years. He was able to keep it there for years and for all I know still going. Me, those 3 would turn into three packs in a nano second.
round2it is offline  
Old 05-27-2018, 09:00 PM
  #1704  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Central FL
Posts: 161
Default

I quit smoking cold turkey on March 2009. Right after my birthday and I found out my wife was pregnant with our first kid. This was after 15 years of smoking and numerous attempts to quit. I made it easier on myself by chaning positions at work to something a lot less stressful. I also had to start hanging around non-smokers on my breaks and off work. The gum and patches never worked for me. I had to change my environment. Whatever it took to get away from the habit. Eventually, I stopped thinking about it. I remember my old man used to smoke a pack and half of winstons a day. He smoked in the house and in the cars. I hated the smell of cigs as a kid, but started as an adult. Go figure. Good luck to all of you trying to kick the habit. That shit is not easy, BUT absolutely worth it. I'm rooting for you!
Blurryace is offline  
Old 05-27-2018, 11:47 PM
  #1705  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,168
Default

Originally Posted by Maranvin View Post
Been trying for a few weeks but can't seem to stop completely. I need 1 when I come home from work and 1 when I go to bed.
........... yeah right, you "need" one ..... what kind of mind set bullshit is that, you need one. What are you going to die if you don't have them at those times?

You have a habit, an addiction that is controlling your life, you are a slave to cigarettes and smoking; smoking two or two cartons a day has no relevance to the fact you are a smoker that has an addiction.
Garett is offline  
Old 05-28-2018, 06:38 AM
  #1706  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 493
Default

Originally Posted by Garett View Post
........... yeah right, you "need" one ..... what kind of mind set bullshit is that, you need one. What are you going to die if you don't have them at those times?

You have a habit, an addiction that is controlling your life, you are a slave to cigarettes and smoking; smoking two or two cartons a day has no relevance to the fact you are a smoker that has an addiction.
with such strong words you sound like a leader of men!! Very inspiring..... not.. someone's sitting pretty high on their horse
SeaJay likes this.
Maranvin is online now  
Old 05-28-2018, 12:33 PM
  #1707  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,168
Default

Originally Posted by Maranvin View Post
with such strong words you sound like a leader of men!! Very inspiring..... not.. someone's sitting pretty high on their horse
Oh so you want me to baby you and hold your hand while telling you you are doing great?

I'm just telling it like it is, read past your anger to my words and see the truth in what is said.

With smoking there is only smokers and non-smokers, there is no such thing as being in between.

One "needs" air to breath so they can live and one "needs" food so they don't starve to death, how you figure you "need" two smokes a day to live is beyond the words you have told us. As long as you keep telling yourself you "need" them you will never quit smoking!
Garett is offline  
Old 05-28-2018, 04:42 PM
  #1708  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 493
Default

Originally Posted by Garett View Post
Oh so you want me to baby you and hold your hand while telling you you are doing great?

I'm just telling it like it is, read past your anger to my words and see the truth in what is said.

With smoking there is only smokers and non-smokers, there is no such thing as being in between.

One "needs" air to breath so they can live and one "needs" food so they don't starve to death, how you figure you "need" two smokes a day to live is beyond the words you have told us. As long as you keep telling yourself you "need" them you will never quit smoking!
don't want anything from you. All I was doing was telling what i am going through to the 86 or so pages of threads to maybe inspire some one else who is having a hard time.
Maranvin is online now  
Old 05-29-2018, 05:12 AM
  #1709  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,168
Default

Originally Posted by Maranvin View Post
don't want anything from you. All I was doing was telling what i am going through to the 86 or so pages of threads to maybe inspire some one else who is having a hard time.
I'm all for that, but with you being a smoker I see it as you sitting on a log having a smoke as other people trying to quit are moving towards the finish line and you're encouraging them to keep going because you can't.
It's not quite the inspiration package that I envision of a motivational speaker.

What are those two smokes doing for you, other than keeping you from being a non - smoker? Unless those two smokes allow you to continue hanging out with the cool people that smoke at coffee breaks and lunch time?
Garett is offline  
Old 05-29-2018, 05:17 AM
  #1710  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Long Island,NY
Posts: 11,973
Default

If someone has the ability to limit themselves to a few smokes a day, rather than a few packs -- I'll give them an attaboy on that one. And yes, they are doing great. Most smokers can not do that.
SeaJay is offline  
Old 05-29-2018, 05:21 AM
  #1711  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,008
Default

148 days nicotine free, after a 28 yr addiction. Quit one day at a time.
mattttt25 is offline  
Old 05-29-2018, 06:18 AM
  #1712  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sailfish Capital & Black Hills SD
Posts: 16,004
Default

Back on the wagon... Yesterday makes month#1 for this go round.. Last time made it six months before I just wanted one......
Afishinado is offline  
Old 05-29-2018, 06:48 AM
  #1713  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 223
Default

1419 days for me. This thread was a big help in getting me through the early days.
CaribooLou is offline  
Old 05-29-2018, 09:17 AM
  #1714  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 493
Default

Originally Posted by Garett View Post
I'm all for that, but with you being a smoker I see it as you sitting on a log having a smoke as other people trying to quit are moving towards the finish line and you're encouraging them to keep going because you can't.
It's not quite the inspiration package that I envision of a motivational speaker.

What are those two smokes doing for you, other than keeping you from being a non - smoker? Unless those two smokes allow you to continue hanging out with the cool people that smoke at coffee breaks and lunch time?
never said I couldn't stop, I'm just at that point where I am at 2 a day from a pack a day about 3 weeks ago. Thought peeps would find that helpful.
At the end of a stressful workday and I'm by myself it helps me relax same thing at night, helps me relax.
I work with a guy who's been smoking for like 20 yrs. Crazy thing though he only smokes at work. Never at home and not on weekends when home. Dunno how he does that.
Maranvin is online now  
Old 05-30-2018, 07:23 AM
  #1715  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,168
Default

Originally Posted by Maranvin View Post
never said I couldn't stop, I'm just at that point where I am at 2 a day from a pack a day about 3 weeks ago. Thought peeps would find that helpful.
At the end of a stressful workday and I'm by myself it helps me relax same thing at night, helps me relax.
I work with a guy who's been smoking for like 20 yrs. Crazy thing though he only smokes at work. Never at home and not on weekends when home. Dunno how he does that.
I'd be working in the garage with Dad (he hadn't smoked in probably 30 - 40 years?) and out of courtesy I'd occasionally offer him if he want to chew on one of these (offered him a smoke). I've seen him in a week have three (he'd smoke it like he was a two pack a day smoker) and it never bothered him not to have another. Now that one I dunno how he did that.
Garett is offline  
Old 07-12-2018, 09:12 AM
  #1716  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 4,792
Default

well this is what our pack patio looks like now so my wife either goes outside when nice or garage / tiny front porch when not nice. Hope she quits this year.

I'm a month into year three no issues.



redneck joe is offline  
Old 07-12-2018, 10:07 AM
  #1717  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ramseur NC
Posts: 161
Default

Guys i wanted to offer you some encouragement. I am 44 and quit when i was 31, on New years eve. I had a golf buddy that was a Copenhagen 2 can/day habit. We bet $100 who could last longer. I quit to quit,but he quit to win a bet. He lasted a month or so and right back at it. I got married and moved away so we lost touch after that. I saw on Facebook that he died of mouth/throat cancer in 2016 and i saw his wife at a funeral recently. He left behind 4 boys and a wonderful wife because of his choice/addiction.

I tell you this to shock you, in hopes that you will keep trying to quit or start the process. Good luck
JFranklin is offline  
Old 08-20-2018, 10:23 AM
  #1718  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Posts: 1,210
Default

My wife and I have our first child due in 3 months and I really need to quit smoking. I'm a pack a day smoker and even more when I'm drinking, and I drink quite a bit. I'm looking for feedback on what has and has not worked for people. I realize that different methods work for different people but just looking for some real life info. Appreciate any input/advice, etc.
Jason5543 is offline  
Old 08-20-2018, 10:35 AM
  #1719  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 136
Default

Originally Posted by Jason5543 View Post
My wife and I have our first child due in 3 months and I really need to quit smoking. I'm a pack a day smoker and even more when I'm drinking, and I drink quite a bit. I'm looking for feedback on what has and has not worked for people. I realize that different methods work for different people but just looking for some real life info. Appreciate any input/advice, etc.
Chantix worked for me, but some people have side effects... I had none while taking the medicine, but when I quit taking it I would get very angry for the smallest thing, once I realized what was happening I could calm myself, that lasted about a week. Its been 3 years now and I'll occasionally crave one, but I know better.
shaker is offline  
Old 08-20-2018, 11:06 AM
  #1720  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 223
Default

Originally Posted by Jason5543 View Post
My wife and I have our first child due in 3 months and I really need to quit smoking. I'm a pack a day smoker and even more when I'm drinking, and I drink quite a bit. I'm looking for feedback on what has and has not worked for people. I realize that different methods work for different people but just looking for some real life info. Appreciate any input/advice, etc.
The patch and a little will power. The first month or so was a little uncomfortable, just stick with it. I've been smoke free for a little over 4 years, best decision I have ever made. I feel sorry for those who are addicted to nicotine.
CaribooLou is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread