Notices

Inspire sleep apnea implant

Old 05-04-2021, 11:42 AM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,960
Received 1,849 Likes on 989 Posts
Default Inspire sleep apnea implant

Anyone know anything about this new product on the market for sleep apnea. I have tried to use my CPAP countless times but I just canít sleep with it on. I saw this product online and it looks interesting.



Old 05-04-2021, 12:57 PM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gulf Breeze, fl
Posts: 40
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Subscribed. Been wearing a CPAP for about 20 years.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:44 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Orleans MA
Posts: 411
Received 57 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Fully implanted system?
Old 05-04-2021, 07:29 PM
  #4  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 674
Likes: 0
Received 270 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

If you read the studies, the improvements to AHI are not great. For what is involved I wasnít impressed with the very mixed outcomes. And not everyone qualifies for the device. Patients who experience concentric collapse do not qualify for the implant. you will need a drug induced sleep endoscopy to verify if you are a candidate.

CPAP therapy is not as simple as buying a machine and slapping on a mask. For some people itís this simple, but for a lot of people it takes some work to get dialed in. You need to find the right pressure for optimal treatment, combined with the right mask, and make sure you arenít mouth leaking at night. Lots of good info on YouTube to help you with some of the nuances of making cpap therapy work better.

Last edited by Quacktastic; 05-04-2021 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:36 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,960
Received 1,849 Likes on 989 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HIGHTIMES View Post
Fully implanted system?
The system I am looking at is from Aspire. I emailed my doctor to see if he he can reference me to a sleep specialist.

I have to do something, I have tried all kinds of supplements, different exercises, CPAP, etc. Every morning I wake up all I want to do is go back to sleep. I am so groggy that I stumble around trying to get ready. I have fallen asleep on the toilet when I do my first toilet break in the morning. I have to sit to pee in the morning because I am so unsteady on my feet. I have fallen asleep at lunch in my car.

I still I think somethings messed up with my circadian cycle. I am so crazy tired in the morning and usually around 4p I start to feel a little more normal, I get more awake the later the day goes on. Then when I go to bed I canít sleep. I also read that your body should start feeling colder so your body is getting ready for sleep. I am the total opposite I get warmer as the evening goes on but when I get up first thing in the morning Iím freezing cold.

I am going to have the Inspire device implanted if my doctor says itís ok to do. I canít stand living being tired all the time. Before anyone mentions it, I take 10MG of melatonin and a Lunesta pill about an hour before I plan to go to bed. Some nights it works and I can fall asleep within an hour, last night I was still awake at 2:30 and had to get up at 5:30 AM.

I was hoping someone had this procedure done or knew someone that had it done that I could get a first hand account of it.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:55 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 122
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RussH View Post
I still I think somethings messed up with my circadian cycle. I am so crazy tired in the morning and usually around 4p I start to feel a little more normal, I get more awake the later the day goes on. Then when I go to bed I canít sleep. I also read that your body should start feeling colder so your body is getting ready for sleep. I am the total opposite I get warmer as the evening goes on but when I get up first thing in the morning Iím freezing cold.
I was exactly like that for several decades. The cure for me was to quit using tobacco. Then slowly after around 6 months to a year later when I hit the rack I'm quickly out cold and sleep great until the next morning. Usually wake up early but no longer feel super groggy when I get up. It's been 3 plus years since I gave up tobacco, and regret that I didn't quit much sooner.



Old 05-04-2021, 08:27 PM
  #7  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 674
Likes: 0
Received 270 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

Russ...are you sleeping with the cpap or not even wearing it?
Old 05-04-2021, 08:37 PM
  #8  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 674
Likes: 0
Received 270 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

Try putting the pressure on 8 for a few nights. If you feel like you can’t breath then bump it up another point or two. Make sure humidity is on. Tape your mouth shut with some hypafix tape. See how you do. I guarantee your pressures are set wrong and your probably mouth breathing in REM sleep which causes arousals because the cpap air goes in your nose and out your mouth. Then you subsequently have apnea’s and ...terrible sleep. You also may need a different mask.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:43 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,960
Received 1,849 Likes on 989 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Quacktastic View Post
If you read the studies, the improvements to AHI are not great. For what is involved I wasnít impressed with the very mixed outcomes. And not everyone qualifies for the device. Patients who experience concentric collapse do not qualify for the implant. you will need a drug induced sleep endoscopy to verify if you are a candidate.

CPAP therapy is not as simple as buying a machine and slapping on a mask. For some people itís this simple, but for a lot of people it takes some work to get dialed in. You need to find the right pressure for optimal treatment, combined with the right mask, and make sure you arenít mouth leaking at night. Lots of good info on YouTube to help you with some of the nuances of making cpap therapy work better.
I have tried everything over the past 10+ years I have had a CPAP machine. I have never slept more than an hour or 2 before I take it off at night. I had the pressure changed, I have tried every appliance including full mask, nose mask, and nose pillows.

Originally Posted by PacNW170 View Post
I was exactly like that for several decades. The cure for me was to quit using tobacco. Then slowly after around 6 months to a year later when I hit the rack I'm quickly out cold and sleep great until the next morning. Usually wake up early but no longer feel super groggy when I get up. It's been 3 plus years since I gave up tobacco, and regret that I didn't quit much sooner.
I know for sure that isnít it, I have never even tried smoking of any kind. Hate the smell of tobacco in any form.

Originally Posted by Quacktastic View Post
Russ...are you sleeping with the cpap or not even wearing it?
No I donít even know where the CPAP machine even is. The last time I tried it was about 3 months ago. I got it all set up, I was really tired that night so I thought I would be able to sleep using my CPAP machine. After about 45 minutes I couldnít fall asleep and took off my mask and shut the machine off for the last time. I have tried probably 100 times and I have officially given up, I just cannot sleep with it. You guys that took to it very easily are very lucky, I can only hope if I get the procedure that I will feel like a normal person in the morning not a zombie.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:51 PM
  #10  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 674
Likes: 0
Received 270 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

I don’t know many people that take to it easily. It’s an adjustment for sure. Give what I described above a try. I understand your frustration
Old 05-05-2021, 02:42 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 4,021
Received 329 Likes on 207 Posts
Default

Russ, no clue about apnea but hereís a link to a guy that explains things like youíre experiencing in great detail thatís easy to understand. Thereís almost always a nutritional link to most things. For example, I had nagging shoulder pains for years and thanks to his videos, found it was due to eating peanuts. Iíve had zero shoulder pains since about 2 years ago. At minimum, youíll find new ďnaturalĒ things to try.

https://www.youtube.com/c/DrEricBerg...ch?query=tired
Old 05-05-2021, 02:54 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: fl
Posts: 147
Received 328 Likes on 209 Posts
Default

Quack I have a different opinion. All CPAP/BIPAP units should be auto-set. With auto-set the pressure needed can ramp up or down within 3 breaths as you sleep. The deeper you sleep the higher the pressure delivered. Most people's weight fluctuates, a weight gain of 10 pounds up or down could easily change a set pressure. Sleep labs can give you a "number" but it varies for many reasons, alcohol consumption, weight change, shift work.... A good sleep lab can get you fitted with a nice mask or nasal prongs/pillows but a fixed number, IMO, is not the best choice.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:29 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Anderson SC
Posts: 4,105
Received 1,238 Likes on 647 Posts
Default

It takes a month or two to get used to it. I know for sure. It can be frustrating but if you ever get past that you cannot sleep without it. It's still a pain in the ass but to not sleep is a slow death. Your body it wearing out quicker than it should be. Its getting no rest and no oxygen. The tissues of all of them are deprived of needed oxygen. It affects all organs including the brain. I know its hard from personal experience.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:40 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ohio (Lake Erie)
Posts: 2,819
Received 1,065 Likes on 573 Posts
Default

I was going to suggest switching to the nose pillow (I did and it works for me) but I see you already tried that. I'd suggest you start with your family doctor who can recommend a specialist. There has to be an alternative Russ.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:30 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Saugus, Ma. USA
Posts: 12,751
Received 1,905 Likes on 1,064 Posts
Default

Before using a cpap, I was a zombie during the day. I could fall asleep anywhere, even at a traffic light. I could have a double espresso at 10:00pm, lay down on my bed at 11:00, and be asleep by 11:05. But I was slowly killing myself.

Using a cpap sucks at first. But I stuck with it and forced myself to use it every night before going to bed. First I made sure to wear it for at least an hour, then two hours, then four hours, then eventually all night. I set it to a 30 minute ramp up, to make sure I could fall asleep first. I still haven't found a mask I like yet, but it took about 3 months of use every single night and now I can tolerate it.

I find that I'm much more alert now, make fewer mistakes, and can concentrate better. Only downside is that now it takes me longer to fall asleep at night, because I'm wearing a full face CPAP and I'm no longer a walking zombie.

Also since I no longer nod off during the day, my sleep cycle is slowly getting better and I'm not up at 3am.

I don't know anyone who's had luck with implants, so either they don't work that well or they are just still pretty rare. It doen'st help that what works for one person might be totally useless for another.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:42 AM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,960
Received 1,849 Likes on 989 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GulfC View Post
Russ, no clue about apnea but hereís a link to a guy that explains things like youíre experiencing in great detail thatís easy to understand. Thereís almost always a nutritional link to most things. For example, I had nagging shoulder pains for years and thanks to his videos, found it was due to eating peanuts. Iíve had zero shoulder pains since about 2 years ago. At minimum, youíll find new ďnaturalĒ things to try.

https://www.youtube.com/c/DrEricBerg...ch?query=tired
Thanks GulfC, I will check out the video.

Originally Posted by jobowker View Post
Before using a cpap, I was a zombie during the day. I could fall asleep anywhere, even at a traffic light. I could have a double espresso at 10:00pm, lay down on my bed at 11:00, and be asleep by 11:05. But I was slowly killing myself.

Using a cpap sucks at first. But I stuck with it and forced myself to use it every night before going to bed. First I made sure to wear it for at least an hour, then two hours, then four hours, then eventually all night. I set it to a 30 minute ramp up, to make sure I could fall asleep first. I still haven't found a mask I like yet, but it took about 3 months of use every single night and now I can tolerate it.

I find that I'm much more alert now, make fewer mistakes, and can concentrate better. Only downside is that now it takes me longer to fall asleep at night, because I'm wearing a full face CPAP and I'm no longer a walking zombie.

Also since I no longer nod off during the day, my sleep cycle is slowly getting better and I'm not up at 3am.

I don't know anyone who's had luck with implants, so either they don't work that well or they are just still pretty rare. It doen'st help that what works for one person might be totally useless for another.
I have been trying to use my CPAP for 10+ years, I have adjusted the pressure, I use the ramp up feature, and I use the humidifier, I just can't use the damn thing and I'm done trying. If I could get something done surgically I wouldn't have to screw around with the CPAP machine at all. I'm to the point now that I will literally try anything because I hate feeling this way all the time. I have tried numerous supplements, different vitamins/minerals, and some stuff the girl at the GNC sold me that said it would fix me right up. I don't recall the name of the stuff I bought but it did nothing. I even tried stuff called Patriot Power, it was supposed to give me energy galore.....didn't work.

I am not excited about getting surgery but if it makes me feel better it will be worth it. I spoke to my doctor and he told me that the Inspire implant isn't for everyone so he referred me to a sleep specialist. I will update as things progress in case anyone is interested.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:52 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,159
Received 387 Likes on 304 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Quacktastic View Post
I donít know many people that take to it easily. Itís an adjustment for sure. Give what I described above a try. I understand your frustration
I took to it immediately, when I had my sleep study for fitting I was sure I would struggle to sleep with all that crap on my face. Instead, I woke up refreshed after 5 straight hours of sleep. I was sold, and it made wearing the mask pretty easy. I use nasal pillows.
the only issue I had was learning to sleep with my mouth closed. That took a couple years.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:18 AM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Saugus, Ma. USA
Posts: 12,751
Received 1,905 Likes on 1,064 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RussH View Post
...
I am not excited about getting surgery but if it makes me feel better it will be worth it. I spoke to my doctor and he told me that the Inspire implant isn't for everyone so he referred me to a sleep specialist. I will update as things progress in case anyone is interested.
Let us know how it goes! There are a ton of people who could benefit from a CPAP. Only a percentage of them actually get one. Out of those that get them, only a portion of those people find success with them. It would be nice to know there's another viable option.

Good luck!

Last edited by jobowker; 05-05-2021 at 12:21 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 05-05-2021, 10:21 AM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Saugus, Ma. USA
Posts: 12,751
Received 1,905 Likes on 1,064 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
It takes a month or two to get used to it. I know for sure. It can be frustrating but if you ever get past that you cannot sleep without it. It's still a pain in the ass but to not sleep is a slow death. Your body it wearing out quicker than it should be. Its getting no rest and no oxygen. The tissues of all of them are deprived of needed oxygen. It affects all organs including the brain. I know its hard from personal experience.
It's also very tough on your heart. You are far more likely to have cardiac issues if you have untreated obstructive sleep apnea.

I'm clearly slow - it took me about 3 months to get used to it, and it still annoys me when I wake up on my side at 3am with a crooked mask and air whistling past my eyeballs.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:01 AM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,960
Received 1,849 Likes on 989 Posts
Default

Well that happened fast, the sleep doctor sent me a questionnaire that had 10 questions on it. I filled it out and within 10 minutes their office called me and said I need to get in ASAP.

I have woke up several times gasping for air and every morning I have a bad headache. I take Advil every morning along with my Prilosec pill. These are BIG warning signs according to the sleep Dr.

I have been telling myself that I don’t have sleep apnea but there is to much evidence that I am wrong.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.