Notices

Question for Covid Vaccine

Old 03-11-2021, 06:50 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 140
Likes: 0
Received 74 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Question for Covid Vaccine

Hi everyone. I got my first dose of the pfizer vaccine yesterday. Outside of a sore arm, things went really well.

I did have one symptom that came and went very quickly and wasn’t going to give it a second thought until somebody else mentioned it. About 20 minutes after the injection, I had a funky taste in my mouth. It was almost like a faint metallic taste. It was gone in about 30 seconds or so. Have any of you guys had that happen with this or any other vaccine? I’m going to call my doc tomorrow as I want to make sure I didn’t have a small allergic reaction to it.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:02 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lewes, DE
Posts: 11,107
Received 3,038 Likes on 1,633 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by c_m_25 View Post
Hi everyone. I got my first dose of the pfizer vaccine yesterday. Outside of a sore arm, things went really well.

I did have one symptom that came and went very quickly and wasn’t going to give it a second thought until somebody else mentioned it. About 20 minutes after the injection, I had a funky taste in my mouth. It was almost like a faint metallic taste. It was gone in about 30 seconds or so. Have any of you guys had that happen with this or any other vaccine? I’m going to call my doc tomorrow as I want to make sure I didn’t have a small allergic reaction to it.
Not uncommon in general. When getting contrast for an MRI/CT a lot of the time you will get the same thing.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:35 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Out west
Posts: 3,370
Likes: 0
Received 591 Likes on 295 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by c_m_25 View Post
Hi everyone. I got my first dose of the pfizer vaccine yesterday. Outside of a sore arm, things went really well.

I did have one symptom that came and went very quickly and wasn’t going to give it a second thought until somebody else mentioned it. About 20 minutes after the injection, I had a funky taste in my mouth. It was almost like a faint metallic taste. It was gone in about 30 seconds or so. Have any of you guys had that happen with this or any other vaccine? I’m going to call my doc tomorrow as I want to make sure I didn’t have a small allergic reaction to it.
Two possibilities.
Rapid absorption of the vaccine into the blood stream distributed to the tongue can cause a "taste" sensation. The muscle is pretty vascular and you may have had a pretty fast uptake depending on the location of the shot in a particular muscle. It's all going into the blood stream anyways, so no harm.
The other things that can cause "taste" sensations in the the mouth is vagus nerve stimulation. The vagus nerve sends afferent (back to the brain) input that can be perceived as taste issues. Shots to the muscle, punch to the gut, all kinds of stimuli can cause people to salivate, feel sick to the stomach, sweat, and have all kinds of visceral (body) symptoms. Your brief episode is very common and representative of things like this.
Your symptoms are likely not "allergic" manifestations. Certainly call your Dr and report your symptoms. THT is a marginal place for medical advice. I've caused people to faint, get light headed, feel gut punched, sweat, salivate, and get other symptoms from starting IV's, shots, and doing painful maneuvers. Ask the Dr. or nurse about the things I have commented on.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:46 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 140
Likes: 0
Received 74 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dssmith View Post
Two possibilities.
Rapid absorption of the vaccine into the blood stream distributed to the tongue can cause a "taste" sensation. The muscle is pretty vascular and you may have had a pretty fast uptake depending on the location of the shot in a particular muscle. It's all going into the blood stream anyways, so no harm.
The other things that can cause "taste" sensations in the the mouth is vagus nerve stimulation. The vagus nerve sends afferent (back to the brain) input that can be perceived as taste issues. Shots to the muscle, punch to the gut, all kinds of stimuli can cause people to salivate, feel sick to the stomach, sweat, and have all kinds of visceral (body) symptoms. Your brief episode is very common and representative of things like this.
Your symptoms are likely not "allergic" manifestations. Certainly call your Dr and report your symptoms. THT is a marginal place for medical advice. I've caused people to faint, get light headed, feel gut punched, sweat, salivate, and get other symptoms from starting IV's, shots, and doing painful maneuvers. Ask the Dr. or nurse about the things I have commented on.
Thank you very much for the feed back. You put my mind at ease as I was nervous I wouldn’t be getting the second shot. I’ll bring those things up with the doc when I call him. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2021, 04:15 AM
  #5  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
John_Madison CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Old Saybrook, CT
Posts: 14,420
Received 732 Likes on 396 Posts
Default

Got my first Pfizer shot yesterday morning. My shoulder is quite sore. I was a bit tired yesterday, but I can't say 100% that was from the vaccine. Otherwise, I'm AOK.
Old 03-13-2021, 04:17 AM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: st augustine fl
Posts: 8,502
Likes: 0
Received 1,162 Likes on 621 Posts
Default

You are fine....probably from the carrier....go fishing...
Old 03-13-2021, 04:37 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,049
Received 4,277 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Default

What happens if you have covid and don't know it and get the vaccine shot?
Old 03-13-2021, 04:44 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Beaufort NC
Posts: 6,498
Received 3,188 Likes on 1,457 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 20biminitwist View Post
What happens if you have covid and don't know it and get the vaccine shot?
A question I've had too but have yet to get an answer. I guess I'll be finding out soon. I had it over a year ago but will be getting the chip for travel. It kicked my a$$ for two days the first time, hopefully won't be as bad this time!
Old 03-13-2021, 04:48 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 2,274
Likes: 0
Received 861 Likes on 455 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 20biminitwist View Post
What happens if you have covid and don't know it and get the vaccine shot?
It is very likely they will ask some pertinent questions and take your temperature when you go to get the shot. If the results indicate you might have the disease, you won’t get the shot. If you are one of the lucky ones who has it and exhibits no symptoms, your immune system is working great and you’ll be in better shape, antibody-wise, afterward.

Peoples’ reactions to the virus and to the vaccine vary all over the map.

My sister-in-law’s family went skiing in Colorado early last March, and they were exposed somewhere. Her husband had the shit kicked out of him and was down for 3 weeks. Took him another month to fully recover. She lost the senses and taste and smell, but that was it. Their college-age daughter had no symptoms but has antibodies. Her twin brother had no symptoms and has no antibodies, despite doing everything “wrong” - hangs out with friends all the time, went to FL for spring break, etc.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:24 AM
  #10  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
nicecast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,601
Received 1,086 Likes on 643 Posts
Default

Many IV's result in the same thing. If you ever get chemo (hope not) you'll grow very accustomed to it.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:27 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
OffshoreApparel.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,727
Received 593 Likes on 347 Posts
Default

Sounds like you got it IV instead on IM

.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:30 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,705
Received 1,191 Likes on 623 Posts
Default

Got my first Pfizer shot and went fishing.
My arm was sore, can’t tell if the vaccine or from reeling in the fish.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:40 AM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Mid Atlantic
Posts: 97
Received 302 Likes on 176 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bills106 View Post
A question I've had too but have yet to get an answer. I guess I'll be finding out soon. I had it over a year ago but will be getting the chip for travel. It kicked my a$$ for two days the first time, hopefully won't be as bad this time!
Got my first dose of Pfizer on Wednesday. 24 hrs later I had a low grade fever (101.7), chills, body aches, etc. 12 hrs later my fever broke and I was good to go.

I read some articles saying that if you've COVID before, you'll likely have similar symptoms after the first dose because your immune system is already primed. People who haven't had COVID rarely have symptoms after the first dose other than a sore arm. I am not sure if I had COVID and didn't know it, or one of the rare anomalies.

I know a coworker who had COVID a few months ago and she said the first vaccine dose had her laid up for 3 days. Other than fever she was nauseous and muscles ached pretty bad. The second shot was the same but symptoms only lasted about a day.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:45 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 577
Received 124 Likes on 74 Posts
Default

1st shot Thursday at lunch, that afternoon I did have a weird taste for maybe a few minutes . Friday morning and this morning it was very hard to get going. I will be 44 tomorrow, no COVID that I know of. I work in Pharma manufacturing so I was on the priority list.

Also sore arm but no more than the Flu shot
Old 03-13-2021, 09:44 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: SWFL
Posts: 311
Received 192 Likes on 108 Posts
Default

Every time I get an MRI or CT scan with contrast I can taste it for a few seconds. Harmless. Not an allergic reaction and, even if it was, it passed so quickly there's no need to be worried.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:59 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,101
Received 1,159 Likes on 650 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by duke460 View Post
Got my first Pfizer shot and went fishing.
My arm was sore, can’t tell if the vaccine or from reeling in the fish.
Sounds like a humblebrag to me.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.