Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Non-work related injury benefits


Non-work related injury benefits

Old 01-21-2007, 10:02 PM
Senior MemberVendorCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 548
Default Non-work related injury benefits


I have sustained a non-work related injury that will keep me sidlined for a month or two. My back is messed up pretty bad, L5 S1 with a pinched nerve root. I lost all feeling in my left leg due to the pinch, after two straight days of lightning bolt type pains shooting down my leg. The leg is numb ! ! ! The original back injury happened 3 months ago and has just gotten worse over that time frame. Surgery is eminant, I can no longer live like this ! ! ! My boss was nice enough to pay me for the first two weeks that I was out of the office but that is going to end shortly. I will probably miss about two months of work due to this.

My question:

Are there any non-work related injury benefits that I can collect from workman's comp or social security ?

Any help would be great, the bills are starting to pile up quick. I had an 11 day hospital stay already that ended just this past Friday. More doctor visits, x-rays, some meds are not covered by insurance, mri and the surgery are still to come plus physical therapy after the fact.

Thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAVIT MASTER is offline  
Old 01-21-2007, 10:22 PM
Senior MemberVendorCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 548
Default Re: Non-work related injury benefits

The sound of that damn Aflac duck quacking is killing my head right now ! ! !
DAVIT MASTER is offline  
Old 01-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: bay shore ny us
Posts: 5,301
Default Re: Non-work related injury benefits

should of went to work and got hurt there then you would of been covered
strikerthree is offline  
Old 01-21-2007, 11:43 PM
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Garett's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,162
Default Re: Non-work related injury benefits

You really are in a tight spot aren’t you Tony, I empathize with you......I was in your physical condition once so I know where you are coming from. If “I” were you, I’d gather up my mri film, x-rays, cat scans and whatever else I had and make my way over to my A.R.T. doctor to get fixed up......that’s what I would have already have done! A.R.T. fixed me up in two weeks and I didn’t have to go under the knife!!!!!!!!

I wish you all the best!
Garett is offline  
Old 01-22-2007, 06:54 AM
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brandon, Florida
Posts: 2,118
Default Re: Non-work related injury benefits

I think disability insurance is the only thing. My father collected disability benefits from social security after having a stroke, but I think that has to be long term disability.

Disability insurance is one of those things on my "to-do" list, but it is so d@mn expensive.
greyg8r is offline  
Old 01-22-2007, 08:02 AM
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,933
Default Re: Non-work related injury benefits

Tony, sorry to hear this, it sucks!!!!!! I assume that you're being covered by your company health insurance on most of the charges??????? The workman's comp is strictly for work related injuries and as stated before Social Security is intended for long term disability. The short term disability usually comes from companies like AFLAC and a host of others.
PM Shag and see if maybe he (an insurance GURU) can think of something that could step in and help........ Hope you get better, we need the attendance at the Carolina functions........
Bailey Boat is offline  
Old 01-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Richmond-Va.
Posts: 198
Default Re: Non-work related injury benefits

S.S. does have a short term disability claim section. but LOL trying to qualify!!!
But it certaintly won`t hurt to try. We pay in and some r lucky enough to live long enough to get benifits..U will probably get turned down, but re-apply, sometimes
it takes 3x to get it. On the down side, if u do get it, u will probably be ready to
go back to work first. The up-side, they make it retroactive back to when u first file. Go fo it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lord only knows how many illegals we are supporting!!!!!
Don`t forget FMLA !!!!!! Family Medical Leave Act..Info can be found on the web.
Most employers don`t even want their employees to kinow about this Gov`t. plan
instituted about 10 yrs. ago..!!!!!! Good Luck!!!!!

Capt.Skid is offline  
Old 01-23-2007, 07:19 AM
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Thornton's Ferry,NH,USA
Posts: 10,659
Default Re: Non-work related injury benefits

There are companies that help you obtain government benefits but most of them want a percentage, typically 1/3 to 1/2 of what they recover for you so steer clear of them. Whatever you qualify for, from the federal government, will be paid from the date you applied although it may take a while for the checks to come.

Your local Employment Security/Unemployment office may be able to assist you in filing for benefits but since your situation is not work related it may depend on the attitude and sympathy of the counselor you speak with.

Social Security does have disability programs. You wil need to apply in person but calling ahead will help you identify what documentation you need to bring. If you have something you think is pertinent but was not mentionned, bring it anyway. If you believe your S/S claim is erroneously declned they do have an apeals process. If you believe you are getting the run-around dont hesitate to write to a member of your congressional delegation.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline  
Old 01-23-2007, 07:44 AM
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Destrehan, LA
Posts: 2,300
Default RE: Non-work related injury benefits

You sound like your in a tight spot. I don't know if you have tried chiropractic. I have seen patients that were in bad shape slated or surgery and treatment turns them around. Really depends on what is wrong with you and your overall health. If you have not tried one get a referral from a trusted friend and go have a consultation. Most chiropractors theses days are good differential diagnosis and will treat appropriate conditions. As far as your money situation getting back to work asp is your best option. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
iron banks is offline  
Old 01-23-2007, 07:57 PM
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: On the wild side !!
Posts: 5,700
Default RE: Non-work related injury benefits

I really can't help you regarding your insurance. My lady friend has had 2 minor surgeries for L5 S1. Most surgeons want to fuse them.

Then she purchased an inversion table ($300) and that has been a life saver.

Might want to try one before you choose surgery.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
BW23 is offline  
Old 01-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jax Fla,Horseshoe Beach Fla
Posts: 13,398
Default RE: Non-work related injury benefits

where did it happen?homeowners, boat,auto insurance?
tommyr904 is offline  
Old 01-24-2007, 12:42 AM
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 1,881
Default Re: Non-work related injury benefits

I will probably get bashed for this for being a lawyer, but... first, let me say, this is NOT legal advice. If you want legal advice, contact a lawyer. I sent you a PM, but you didn't respond, but I have some info that I would pass along to you. First of all, a descent Social Security attorney should cost you all of NOTHING. The prevailing claimant is entitled to fees paid by the govt. and those are in addition to, not a part of, the benefit. Second, don't discount your workers' comp. route. Sounds like you are in a rather grueling line of work. There is a line of cases which may allow for workers' comp. coverage for injuries caused by repetitive stress / trauma.

I am NOT a workers' comp. expert. Others I know are. I only know enough to be dangerous. That is why I say you should consult a lawyer. Don't forget, there are notice and statute of limitations requirements that may apply. Notice means that you must provide the responsible party / insurer... with notice of the injury / accident and your intent to make a claim. Statute of Limitations is the time within which you must bring your claim, or in workers' comp. there are other requirements, such as the fact that you must treat at least one time per year or the case is lost to statute of limitations. These are by no means easy laws to navigate, so regardless of what you decide, I would tell you it would be in your best interest to at least consult with a lawyer, and to do so immediately before you waive any potential rights or claims you may have.

Now, for the non-lawyer part... good luck and I hope you feel better. Like I said in my PM, if you want, contact me and I will try to help you as best I can, but neither I nor my firm will likely represent you as I think there is something a bit "wierd" and potentially unethical about getting clients through websites such as this. Good luck to you.
rkatz is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread