Notices

Tesla...would you buy one?

Old 11-27-2020, 10:17 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Kenberma
Posts: 658
Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Tesla...would you buy one?

I need to buy a car at some point after the Rona is over bc I'm no longer going to take the ferry into Boston. Tesla might be fun to drive I hear. Plus, I think you get preferred parking in Cambridge. Allot of hatred for tesla out there, why? Any other electric vehicles to look at?

My current daily driver is a 3/4 Ram (I'm gonna keep this) and the commute is ~20 mi (1 1/2 hr) to work
Old 11-27-2020, 10:25 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,430
Received 437 Likes on 265 Posts
Default

No, and I don't think owners should get special benefits for buying one.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:26 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: SWFL
Posts: 212
Received 137 Likes on 75 Posts
Default

Lot's of choices. Here's a few: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/e...i-chevy-tesla/
Old 11-27-2020, 10:48 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
williamwallus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SWFL, Midwest
Posts: 3,465
Received 794 Likes on 442 Posts
Default

I wouldn't just because the recharge time and mile limit. Doesn't fit me. Is electric that much cheaper than gas atm?
Old 11-27-2020, 11:10 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Barbados, West Indies or Middleofnowhere, USA.
Posts: 1,170
Received 170 Likes on 109 Posts
Default

Build quality is shite for what they cost.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:36 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Alaska
Posts: 632
Received 339 Likes on 171 Posts
Default

Tesla 3 AWD , the acceleration from a stop is nothing short of amazing.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:12 AM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Palmdale, CA
Posts: 16
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bob1957 View Post
Tesla 3 AWD , the acceleration from a stop is nothing short of amazing.
yep. Low 3s 0 to 60. Faster than my C6 corvette. Faster (most of the time) than the super stock motorcycles I used to drive and track (not easy to launch). Seats 5 comfortably. Really good infotainment system. Warranty work done at your home - no need to waist time. Best safety rating. A bit pricey, but then again it is in a class of its own. We like our 3.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:46 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Marblehead, Ohio
Posts: 10,171
Received 2,211 Likes on 1,143 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by blue33 View Post
I need to buy a car at some point after the Rona is over bc I'm no longer going to take the ferry into Boston. Tesla might be fun to drive I hear. Plus, I think you get preferred parking in Cambridge. Allot of hatred for tesla out there, why? Any other electric vehicles to look at?

My current daily driver is a 3/4 Ram (I'm gonna keep this) and the commute is ~20 mi (1 1/2 hr) to work
Wait...it takes you 1.5 hours to go 20 miles??
Old 11-28-2020, 04:50 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 6,836
Received 1,495 Likes on 747 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Boataholic View Post
Wait...it takes you 1.5 hours to go 20 miles??
I would rather kill self then have 1.5 hour 20 mile commute.

And yes, I would but a Tesla if it was reasonably priced. I know a lot of people who own them and they all love them.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:53 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deale, MD
Posts: 2,639
Received 1,131 Likes on 442 Posts
Default

No.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:01 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 4 Seasons
Posts: 3,620
Received 680 Likes on 382 Posts
Default

Yes
Old 11-28-2020, 05:06 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Brookline, Ma.
Posts: 1,866
Received 1,057 Likes on 524 Posts
Default

No way.......How do you get rid of that thing? What's the trade in value? Is there a disposal fee for getting rid of the battery like tire disposal? Being tied to a charging station would really suck BIG TIME!!
Old 11-28-2020, 05:15 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 460
Received 340 Likes on 260 Posts
Default

At the moment they are an expensive toy.
The reliability is low and the cost to run it does not save you anywhere near the cost of the vehicle no matter what distance you drive it daily.

Battery chemistry will continue to improve and it will eventually be comparable to fossil fuels but not for another 5 to 10 years.
They know how to make a battery that will charge almost as fast as a regular gas fill up but the longevity is not there plus there are no charging stations that can provide that level of juice.

I figure in 10 years E cars will have 10-20 percent of the market and hybrids will make cars that use batteries will be half of new car sales.


LTO batteries for example can be recharged in 10 minutes if you have the amps to put in it.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:16 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 226
Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts
Default

A guy has one near me and has a teck from Tesla working on that car in his garage at least 20 times in the 2 years he has owned it . Nuff said
Old 11-28-2020, 05:21 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SE North Carolina
Posts: 982
Likes: 0
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts
Default

Yes. We have a Model Y and like everything about it.
325 mile range.
A lot of fun to drive and less tiring with autopilot.
Energy cost to operate is equal to about 140 mpg at today's gas/electricity prices.
The only "special benefits" we received was a partial tax credit for the cost to install a home charging station.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:37 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 4 Seasons
Posts: 3,620
Received 680 Likes on 382 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dspencer View Post
At the moment they are an expensive toy.
The reliability is low and the cost to run it does not save you anywhere near the cost of the vehicle no matter what distance you drive it daily.

Battery chemistry will continue to improve and it will eventually be comparable to fossil fuels but not for another 5 to 10 years.
They know how to make a battery that will charge almost as fast as a regular gas fill up but the longevity is not there plus there are no charging stations that can provide that level of juice.

I figure in 10 years E cars will have 10-20 percent of the market and hybrids will make cars that use batteries will be half of new car sales.


LTO batteries for example can be recharged in 10 minutes if you have the amps to put in it.
https://www.plugshare.com/directory/...orth-arlington
You can do quick charges up to 80% after that it slows the charge down. Tesla's GPS will plan your trip and include the necessary charging stations automatically.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:38 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: N.E. Tennessee
Posts: 486
Received 478 Likes on 206 Posts
Default

Nope...
Old 11-28-2020, 05:46 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,482
Likes: 0
Received 455 Likes on 283 Posts
Default

Yup....
Old 11-28-2020, 05:53 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 175
Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

Nope...

Old 11-28-2020, 06:23 AM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Out There....
Posts: 4,923
Received 579 Likes on 335 Posts
Default

Yep. Considering one, if and when my Lexus dies. Which is hopefully no time soon,

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.