Notices

Rovr or non-Yeti Coolers?

Old 11-24-2020, 04:55 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SEC Penna
Posts: 8,845
Received 345 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Rovr or non-Yeti Coolers?

SIL has had his eye on a Yeti Tundra Haul (45q w wheels and handle) for awhile and I was thinking of getting it for a Christmas gift. Hard for me to spend $400 on a cooler with wheels that look like they come off a kids toy. Rovr makes one that looks much better, also Pelican.

Anyone have any experience with either Rovr or Pelican or even the wheeled Yeti? Thanks

Last edited by kone; 11-25-2020 at 04:17 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:39 AM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Look at RTIC coolers I've got five and couldn't be happier with any other.
https://rticoutdoors.com/
Old 11-26-2020, 11:08 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SEC Penna
Posts: 8,845
Received 345 Likes on 209 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fishnfool38 View Post
Look at RTIC coolers I've got five and couldn't be happier with any other.
https://rticoutdoors.com/
will do. Thanks
Old 11-26-2020, 12:59 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sienna Plantation, TX.
Posts: 3,417
Received 1,734 Likes on 824 Posts
Default

RTIC doesn't have wheels.

This is one I am looking at. Hoping for a black friday deal.

https://www.igloocoolers.com/collect...e-hard-coolers
Old 11-26-2020, 01:54 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Helena, AL
Posts: 392
Received 91 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kone View Post
SIL has had his eye on a Yeti Tundra Haul (45q w wheels and handle) for awhile and I was thinking of getting it for a Christmas gift. Hard for me to spend $400 on a cooler with wheels that look like they come off a kids toy. Rovr makes one that looks much better, also Pelican.

Anyone have any experience with either Rovr or Pelican or even the wheeled Yeti? Thanks
The wheels look cheap in pictures. They are actually rubber and seem like they will hold up well. I have really enjoyed my haul and use it over all of the other yetis I have.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:18 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Boca Raton
Posts: 280
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts
Default

I had the same thoughts about the yeti. However, got one on sale and love it. Holds ice better than my Rtic. Wheels and Handle are very solid.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:42 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SEC Penna
Posts: 8,845
Received 345 Likes on 209 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Nuckle View Post
The wheels look cheap in pictures. They are actually rubber and seem like they will hold up well. I have really enjoyed my haul and use it over all of the other yetis I have.
Originally Posted by Anyhoo View Post
I had the same thoughts about the yeti. However, got one on sale and love it. Holds ice better than my Rtic. Wheels and Handle are very solid.
Thanks for your thoughts. Will keep the Yeti on the list.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:56 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Surf City, NC
Posts: 518
Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts
Default

Try dicks. They are doing 25% off.
Old 11-26-2020, 04:53 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CHARLESTON, SC
Posts: 398
Received 107 Likes on 60 Posts
Default

Hard pass on RTIC soft coolers....seams fail on every one we have
Old 11-26-2020, 05:22 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SEC Penna
Posts: 8,845
Received 345 Likes on 209 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by washedupoffroader View Post
Try dicks. They are doing 25% off.

Good idea unfortunately Yeti seems to be excluded from the sale (shocker) plus none within 100 miles of me.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:29 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Margaritaville, USA -- 0
Posts: 1,333
Likes: 0
Received 101 Likes on 51 Posts
Default

I have a Yeti with wheels, treat it like a 3rd world step child! The wheels are beyond great. It will be a gift that will last many years.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:33 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Virginia
Posts: 434
Received 335 Likes on 167 Posts
Default

Iíve got a few Yeti coolers and RTIC coolers. The RTIC seals arenít worth a damn and the handles are floppy. The Yeti is better quality in my opinion and itís my go to. The RTIC just sits in the closet.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:29 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
1rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gloucester, Ma.
Posts: 1,002
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

I have a Pelican which does what itís supposed to, keep stuff cold quite well. It is not the wheeled version so I canít talk specifically about that, but the whole Pelican line is pretty bomb proof.

and made in the USA!
Old 11-26-2020, 08:39 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Helena, AL
Posts: 392
Received 91 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1rider View Post
I have a Pelican which does what itís supposed to, keep stuff cold quite well. It is not the wheeled version so I canít talk specifically about that, but the whole Pelican line is pretty bomb proof.

and made in the USA!
A buddy of mine has a pelican and it holds ice very well. Only negative I give it is its physical size vs what it will hold which explains why it holds ice so well. Definitely a fine cooler.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:58 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 310
Likes: 0
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

I bought a Yeti clone last summer. The kind with wheels. I compared the ice holding ability against my sons Yeti. They were about the same but in my opinion I expected a longer ice hold time from both.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:20 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 53
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

What do u think about this cooler from Walmart?

Old 12-10-2020, 10:35 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: texas coast
Posts: 1,180
Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts
Default

After researching I bought an Engel ... it along with 8 or 9 other similar sized coolers were part of an internet posted controlled test, quite simply to see which would hold ice longest (pretty much 99% of why you buy one ...) short of long is Engel won ... when I went out to buy one I had an added bonus of it being $45 cheaper than the runner up, a Yeti ...
Old 12-10-2020, 10:46 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 8,422
Received 4,002 Likes on 2,262 Posts
Default

Unlike a lot of people on here I have no problem with Yeti but to be fair I think Pelican is a better product. No clue on the other brands don't own any except a pair of big Coleman Extreme Marine and I've had those for a while.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:06 AM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 6,708
Received 3,166 Likes on 1,814 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by boat user View Post
After researching I bought an Engel ... it along with 8 or 9 other similar sized coolers were part of an internet posted controlled test, quite simply to see which would hold ice longest (pretty much 99% of why you buy one ...) short of long is Engel won ... when I went out to buy one I had an added bonus of it being $45 cheaper than the runner up, a Yeti ...
every engal i have laid my hands on, the lid seems flimsy when sitting or standing on it. not the body, just the lid. other than that they seem like a great cooler
Old 12-12-2020, 09:28 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Helena, AL
Posts: 392
Received 91 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gary Schulte View Post
I bought a Yeti clone last summer. The kind with wheels. I compared the ice holding ability against my sons Yeti. They were about the same but in my opinion I expected a longer ice hold time from both.
One thing I have learned with any cooler is how you start out. If you get a yeti out of an exterior shed in the middle of august and dump a case of hot beer in it you will not like the results. It will eat two bags of ice in a heartbeat. Add two more bags and it will keep for days. I keep my coolers in the garage so they start at 70f. Then try to but already cold beverages in it if I need it to keep for a long period of time.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.