Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

If you started a business what would it be?

Notices

If you started a business what would it be?

Old 11-24-2020, 10:55 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Middle River MD
Posts: 222
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Default If you started a business what would it be?

Always been a dream of mine to be my own boss. So entertain me. If you started your own business what would it be and why?
Old 11-24-2020, 10:58 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,298
Received 424 Likes on 186 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by UPPERbaycrabNfish View Post
If you started your own business what would it be and why?
1. Something I had expertise in.
2. To make a profit.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:01 AM
  #3  
Junior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

Vaccine and testing center.


MO
Old 11-24-2020, 11:03 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 240
Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
Default

Searching for the right idea myself. Been in sales my whole career and want a change. Also wanna make money for my family and not someone elses.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:03 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 747
Received 558 Likes on 287 Posts
Default

Starting an inspection business in the spring. Why? Once you work for yourself, it's hard to ever go back. But also because I have a ton of experience, the work is minimal, and the pay is great.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:05 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 719
Received 1,035 Likes on 567 Posts
Default

Have watched a buddy get laid off and start a roofing company in the last year. Pretty sure he doesn't know which end of the screwdriver to hit the nail with..... but spent several years in sales and project management. He's been very successful. It's got me thinking about doing something similar. Is there any money in fence building?
Old 11-24-2020, 11:07 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Brookline, Ma.
Posts: 1,868
Received 1,057 Likes on 524 Posts
Default

Bakery---Specialize in Cinnamon Buns, (NOT that mall crap), Crumb Cake, Carrot Cake, bread and rolls. That's it. Free coffee with each purchase. Sell by the sheet cake or indiv. pieces. May not make a fortune, but my Cinnamon Buns and Carrot Cake are killer. I even had the store building picked out.....It was in Annapolis where the old Faucetts was located, right in the heart of town. I also would have a dock service out the back if you came by boat. Would install some major fans to circulate the freshed baked goods smell all over town......
Old 11-24-2020, 11:09 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Middle River MD
Posts: 222
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by seascritch View Post
Searching for the right idea myself. Been in sales my whole career and want a change. Also wanna make money for my family and not someone elses.
My exact thoughts.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:10 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Middle River MD
Posts: 222
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by D.M.D. View Post
Bakery---Specialize in Cinnamon Buns, (NOT that mall crap), Crumb Cake, Carrot Cake, bread and rolls. That's it. Free coffee with each purchase. Sell by the sheet cake or indiv. pieces. May not make a fortune, but my Cinnamon Buns and Carrot Cake are killer. I even had the store building picked out.....It was in Annapolis where the old Faucetts was located, right in the heart of town. I also would have a dock service out the back if you came by boat. Would install some major fans to circulate the freshed baked goods all over town......
Damn good idea, love me some cinnamon buns!
Old 11-24-2020, 11:13 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Middle Sound NC
Posts: 1,650
Received 706 Likes on 376 Posts
Default

Honestly, I'd do something that most everyone needs in my area, almost impossible to live without it here.

HVAC.

My next business will be opening a real estate brokerage firm though.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:17 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: st augustine fl
Posts: 8,296
Likes: 0
Received 1,037 Likes on 555 Posts
Default

Mattress Safety testing....
Old 11-24-2020, 11:19 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: coastal tx
Posts: 697
Likes: 0
Received 716 Likes on 443 Posts
Default

just remember that you will have overhead,
so all of that money you think you will be making goes somewhere to pay bills for the company.

also you get tied into long hours and not many days to take off on vacations unless you decide to trust someone else to run it while you are gone.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:22 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,876
Received 5,891 Likes on 2,761 Posts
Default

True but it's no secret small business is the way. You can make a good living working for the man.

You are far less likely to achieve the type of wealth that... successful business owners have

Gotta be willing to trade freedom in the short term for freedom and security in the long term. If you work for the man, you are actually in business for yourself anyway.

With one client.

And no say in the direction of the business.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:23 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 960
Received 799 Likes on 349 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post
Pretty sure he doesn't know which end of the screwdriver to hit the nail with.....
Now THAT was funny!

Originally Posted by D.M.D. View Post
my Cinnamon Buns and Carrot Cake are killer.
Open to sharing your recipe w\ somebody who wouldn't be any form of competition?
Old 11-24-2020, 11:25 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Athens, GA/ Pine Harbor, Ga
Posts: 3,745
Received 174 Likes on 94 Posts
Default

I'd find my real passion that made the most money.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:26 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club
 
Ronn Burgandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 15,151
Received 104 Likes on 69 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post
Have watched a buddy get laid off and start a roofing company in the last year. Pretty sure he doesn't know which end of the screwdriver to hit the nail with..... but spent several years in sales and project management. He's been very successful. It's got me thinking about doing something similar. Is there any money in fence building?
Yes.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:26 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Middle River MD
Posts: 222
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NCSUboater View Post
True but it's no secret small business is the way. You can make a good living working for the man.

You are far less likely to achieve the type of wealth that... successful business owners have

Gotta be willing to trade freedom in the short term for freedom and security in the long term. If you work for the man, you are actually in business for yourself anyway.

With one client.

And no say in the direction of the business.
Good point.

Also not just thinking about myself in this equation. I have two boys that I would love to pass something along to. That is if they wanted to go that direction.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:27 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 575
Received 1,201 Likes on 535 Posts
Default

I started a small software business 10 years ago. We're in about 60-70 school districts. If I was a better salesman, that number would probably be 2-3 times higher. I have two partners and we handle all of the work. One partner is great. The other will hardly do anything without constant reminders and hand-holding. It drives me crazy and requires a lot of my time and energy. So, if you partner with someone - make sure they are the kind that is willing to work without being prodded.

Old 11-24-2020, 11:28 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Saunderstown / Pt Judith, RI
Posts: 2,271
Received 1,192 Likes on 670 Posts
Default

escort service
Old 11-24-2020, 11:28 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,876
Received 5,891 Likes on 2,761 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by UPPERbaycrabNfish View Post
Good point.

Also not just thinking about myself in this equation. I have two boys that I would love to pass something along to. That is if they wanted to go that direction.
i have 1 and 3 year old boys myself and don't want them to see dad as a middle management corporate monkey, which I am now.

I have a consulting business on the side I've run for a few years but long term I'm taking it in a different direction.

​​​​​

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.