Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

What Pigeon Forge TN needs is more Gokart tracks....

Notices

What Pigeon Forge TN needs is more Gokart tracks....

Old 10-15-2020, 04:58 AM
  #21  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Hubert, NC
Posts: 1,449
Received 1,439 Likes on 705 Posts
Default

Co-worker is up there right now, he said you have to have reservations for just about anything to do there so if your going and wanting to actually do something you may want to call and see how this reservation process is working for the activity you want to do.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:03 AM
  #22  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Mid Atlantic
Posts: 97
Received 302 Likes on 176 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Riverrat12 View Post
Well there’s the pancakes .... I’m pretty sure they invented them🙄
Of all the craziness going on there, this was the one thing I picked up on the most. Geezus, every few hundred yards there's a restaurant advertising pancakes ha ha!!
Old 10-15-2020, 05:20 AM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,833
Received 409 Likes on 325 Posts
Default

We've been to Pigeon Forge twice this summer, and are going back to a rented home on top of the mountain above Gatlinburg for Thanksgiving. I've been up there 100+ times in my lifetime.

Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge is what it is. Take it or leave it. We like to go in winter midweek because it's the cheapest place to get a room anywhere. We quickly go off into the mountains for half day excursions. And I've been there to know how to get around any traffic bottlenecks.

One thing I like about East Tennessee is the friendliness of the people you run into. They're "real" people that treat you nice.

Some weekends, they'll have huge car and motorcycle shows. Virtually every parking place along The Parkway (for miles) will be taken by old cars for sale and being shown. The locals take their lawn chairs down to the red lights at 8:00 a.m. to reserve their place. And as all the cars/trucks/cycles pull up to the red lights, they talk to all the visitors.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:28 AM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 121
Received 170 Likes on 96 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
LOL... We call Myrtle Beach Gatlinburg with sand.
Banff is called Gatlinburg with Canadian Mountains.
etc...
We all have our annoying tourist traps.
I had no idea what to expect. I thought 'Gatlin Brothers' and 'Dolly Parton' equaled small town America....I took an open ended weeklong motorcycle trip to the area a few years ago. I was in and out of Gatlinburg without even stopping the bike. Then almost got rear ended in heavy fast traffic. Scared me enough to GTFO. Headed to Pigeon Forge and decided to keep on riding towards home.. Too much traffic. I should'a stayed in the Bryson City/Cherokee/Maggie Valley area.

My first thought was 'Wisconsin Dells on steroids."

Now whenever I ride that area I simply steer clear of the G'burg area.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:03 AM
  #25  
mbb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: State of confusion
Posts: 3,667
Received 1,224 Likes on 656 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bullboxer View Post
vacation spot for the white trash of america along with gatlinburg and myrtle beach
It was packed when i was there on a car show weekend.

I says to wife " there's a lot of empty trailer parks right now..."
Old 10-15-2020, 05:47 PM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cedar Key, FL
Posts: 1,266
Received 241 Likes on 155 Posts
Default

Smokey Mount Knife Works- I can spend hours browsing that place. There's a cooler outlet next door.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:59 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 874
Received 1,252 Likes on 585 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
Buds physical shop is garbage IMO. All tacticool nonsense. Everything on the floor has been handled to death. They do have a nice range. Time is better spent next door at Smokey Mount Knife Works.
considering they can't really sell a gun to anyone except in state residents or people that are prepared to go through a FFL transfer to get it home you can't blame them for having stuff they can sell

and sure a FFL transfer is not all that hard and Buds has a ton of them lined up about anywhere that still probably ends up and kills a ton of spur of the moment sales once people start thinking about going through all those motions
Old 10-15-2020, 07:29 PM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Smoky Mountains of NC
Posts: 993
Received 726 Likes on 307 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
We've been to Pigeon Forge twice this summer, and are going back to a rented home on top of the mountain above Gatlinburg for Thanksgiving. I've been up there 100+ times in my lifetime.

Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge is what it is. Take it or leave it. We like to go in winter midweek because it's the cheapest place to get a room anywhere. We quickly go off into the mountains for half day excursions. And I've been there to know how to get around any traffic bottlenecks.

One thing I like about East Tennessee is the friendliness of the people you run into. They're "real" people that treat you nice.

Some weekends, they'll have huge car and motorcycle shows. Virtually every parking place along The Parkway (for miles) will be taken by old cars for sale and being shown. The locals take their lawn chairs down to the red lights at 8:00 a.m. to reserve their place. And as all the cars/trucks/cycles pull up to the red lights, they talk to all the visitors.
You should give the other side of park a try. The North Carolina side is made of real towns with real folks . Nope we don't have Go Karts or Outlet Malls,but we have great towns with real main streets and are surrounded by thousands of acres of federal lands with most of the 6,000 footer mountains too. plus our lodging is more competitive . You get more vacation rental for less money.

I use to have a store in Pigeon Forge . it struggled because everyone wants a deal and our product was not right for the place.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:45 PM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Trussville, AL
Posts: 1,079
Received 558 Likes on 325 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Insider View Post
considering they can't really sell a gun to anyone except in state residents or people that are prepared to go through a FFL transfer to get it home you can't blame them for having stuff they can sell

and sure a FFL transfer is not all that hard and Buds has a ton of them lined up about anywhere that still probably ends up and kills a ton of spur of the moment sales once people start thinking about going through all those motions
In most instances this doesn't apply to long guns,
Old 10-15-2020, 08:31 PM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 874
Received 1,252 Likes on 585 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by xl883lo View Post
In most instances this doesn't apply to long guns,
I was not aware that was the case thanks for the information
Old 10-15-2020, 08:40 PM
  #31  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Coastal South Carolina
Posts: 2,957
Likes: 0
Received 151 Likes on 108 Posts
Default

what about more putt putt ?
Old 10-15-2020, 08:48 PM
  #32  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: TN
Posts: 343
Received 121 Likes on 76 Posts
Default

I grew up in that area ZERO desire to go back. Would rather spend my vacation in the Gulf!
Old 10-16-2020, 05:26 AM
  #33  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Southeast of the Holy City
Posts: 507
Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
Default trash

Originally Posted by Bullboxer View Post
vacation spot for the white trash of america along with gatlinburg and myrtle beach
I will defend the white trash of America. Those are the descendents of the guys who stormed the Normandy coast and fought to retake the Pacific islands. I consider myself a proud member of America's white trash.

Last edited by IES99; 10-16-2020 at 05:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-29-2020, 03:45 PM
  #34  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 7,202
Received 1,849 Likes on 895 Posts
Default

Well Zeta blew thru just in time. I arrived Tyson airport (K-noxville) around 3pm, picked up my rental car, and started my weekend adventure. Staying in Pigeon Forge tonight and the headed south on 441 bright and early tomorrow morning. Planning to drive up to Clingmanns Dome if the weather cooperates. And going to stop in Dillsboro at SmokeyMtnGradey's chocolate store and then head down thru Franklin and west to Murphy.

The knife place had a lot of knives and a few firearms, but no reloading supplies. And I only got 10 minutes in there because they close at 6pm

Enterprise remembered I requested a Mustang convertible.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:21 PM
  #35  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 702
Received 608 Likes on 277 Posts
Default

I got lost in them mountains following my GPS and found out the hard way thay Dolly Parton grew up in the ****in jungle. Man it's dark and scary in them back mountain passes when you're lost.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:32 PM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Texas..
Posts: 6,250
Received 1,286 Likes on 687 Posts
Default

Great place to stock up on all your Cummins and Powerstroke street wear..
Old 10-29-2020, 06:03 PM
  #37  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kingston, TN, USA and Plash Island, AL
Posts: 4,707
Received 1,072 Likes on 706 Posts
Default

My wife has been thrown off of most of those tracks. We always took our son and a friend up for the weekend before school started, and they loved the go-carts and the boats. My wife would always get behind some slow kid, and after a lap or two go NASCAR on them.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:55 PM
  #38  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 874
Received 1,252 Likes on 585 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
My wife has been thrown off of most of those tracks. We always took our son and a friend up for the weekend before school started, and they loved the go-carts and the boats. My wife would always get behind some slow kid, and after a lap or two go NASCAR on them.
you married Danica?
Old 10-29-2020, 07:13 PM
  #39  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: God Bless Texas / LOTO
Posts: 960
Received 466 Likes on 291 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
My wife has been thrown off of most of those tracks. We always took our son and a friend up for the weekend before school started, and they loved the go-carts and the boats. My wife would always get behind some slow kid, and after a lap or two go NASCAR on them.
That begs for some video.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:15 AM
  #40  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 799
Received 429 Likes on 221 Posts
Default

Dont forget to get some taffy and maybe a stuffed animal black bear with a leash on it.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.