Notices

next boat size

Old 10-10-2020, 10:45 AM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: boynton beach fl
Posts: 4,740
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts
Default next boat size

When you sell your boat is it BECAUSE you want to go bigger?, Smaller. OR OUT OF BOATING/FISHING? AND!!! Do you trailer dry store at a marina or live on the water with a dock or a lift??

Last edited by 1NO REGRETS; 10-10-2020 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:02 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsyltucky
Posts: 7,452
Received 1,604 Likes on 752 Posts
Default

Bigger.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:04 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Elizabeth City NC
Posts: 9,947
Received 466 Likes on 296 Posts
Default


What I had.


What I have now.


Had a 23.5 walk around before I had the Fountain, Loved it. Hated the top speed. 33 mph. Dew to the hull design. Added 100 hp motor only got 3 mph more totally killed the fuel millage. When I sold it I really jumped up. But it didn't fit all my needs.
31 was Beautiful , fast, handled like a dream with that 8 foot beam but was a bear to get around under bridges like CBBT and local fishing. Had one ramp I could not use trailer would fall off trying to get it back on it. Ask me how I know. LOL
Even though the Fountain got awesome fuel millage for a boat that size 2.4 I'm getting 3 now with the 24 foot walk around and that 300 on the back. Top speed is all I need with the smaler boat. 52 mph. Pleanty big to go offshore with the fleet providing the weather is good and honestly how much fun it is in 5 to 6 foot waves unless your in a sports fishing boat. Yes you have to slow down some 24 won't ride like a 31 in rough water but my most fun is striper, bottom fishing and what I call inlet fishing which I've never posted about but the shit works.

Its my retirement boat. I have everything in that boat but the kitchen sink. Open array radar now can find birds, to everything the 36 to 40 foot monsters has on them but auto pilot. I hate auto pilot. If you can't drive the things whats the use of owning them. Pay for a charter you will save money in the long run anyway. LOL

Motorcycle weekend next weekend in the mountains after that i'm all striper fishing till its to cold to fish which usually means Feb. Throw the camper on the dodge, hook that Striper boat behind it, who the hell knows where i'll end up I carry my motel on my back.
Very glad I got to enjoy the Fountain but I learned I didn't need all that to enjoy doing what I like. Size only matter when its rough and can't everyone read a weather and offshore app?

You'll know I rebuild everything. New top all new electrioncs, repowered the 2 stroke with a 4 stroke 300 verado, tax tags everything turn key i have less than 26000 in that boat and its Just the way I like it. Fun, I can jump and run with that boat where the bigger boats take a lot more up keep time and money.

Last edited by liveaboard74; 10-10-2020 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:10 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: boynton beach fl
Posts: 4,740
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by liveaboard74 View Post

What I had.


What I have now.


Had a 23.5 walk around before I had the Fountain, Loved it. Hated the top speed. 33 mph. Dew to the hull design. Added 100 hp motor only got 3 mph more totally killed the fuel millage. When I sold it I really jumped up. But it didn't fit all my needs.
31 was Beautiful , fast, handled like a dream with that 8 foot beam but was a bear to get around under bridges like CBBT and local fishing. Had one ramp I could not use trailer would fall off trying to get it back on it. Ask me how I know. LOL
Even though the Fountain got awesome fuel millage for a boat that size 2.4 I'm getting 3 now with the 24 foot walk around and that 300 on the back. Top speed is all I need with the smaler boat. 52 mph. Pleanty big to go offshore with the fleet providing the weather is good and honestly how much fun it is in 5 to 6 foot waves unless your in a sports fishing boat. Yes you have to slow down some 24 won't ride like a 31 in rough water but my most fun is striper, bottom fishing and what I call inlet fishing which I've never posted about but the shit works.

Its my retirement boat. I have everything in that boat but the kitchen sink. Open array radar now can find birds, to everything the 36 to 40 foot monsters has on them but auto pilot. I hate auto pilot. If you can't drive the things whats the use of owning them. Pay for a charter you will save money in the long run anyway. LOL

Motorcycle weekend next weekend in the mountains after that i'm all striper fishing till its to cold to fish which usually means Feb. Throw the camper on the dodge, hook that Striper boat behind it, who the hell knows where i'll end up I carry my motel on my back.
Very glad I got to enjoy the Fountain but I learned I didn't need all that to enjoy doing what I like. Size only matter when its rough and can't everyone read a weather app? Rest my case.
I think you are living life correctly!
Old 10-10-2020, 11:25 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Elizabeth City NC
Posts: 9,947
Received 466 Likes on 296 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1NO REGRETS View Post
I think you are living life correctly!
Hope so.
O ya.. Walkaround for that high dry ride. Its ain't the boat that catchs fish. Its the nut behind the wheel.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:28 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mechanicsville VA
Posts: 8,393
Received 926 Likes on 505 Posts
Default

Different boats are built for different purposes. As my intended use changed.....so did the type of boat I moved into.

26 cruiser (1994, first boat)
33 cruiser (slipped)
21 ski boat
27-30 ft cruisers (7 total, all repos bought to re-sell over a 5 year period)
31 cigarette boat
38 cigarette boat (98 mph)
21 CC....still own
40 ft "cruiser" with some speed (slipped) .....purchased 2018, still own

These are significantly different boats and I've gone up/down/up/down in size. All of them did exactly what I wanted them to do at the time I owned them.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:33 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: boynton beach fl
Posts: 4,740
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
Different boats are built for different purposes. As my intended use changed.....so did the type of boat I moved into.

26 cruiser (1994, first boat)
33 cruiser (slipped)
21 ski boat
27-30 ft cruisers (7 total, all repos bought to re-sell over a 5 year period)
31 cigarette boat
38 cigarette boat (98 mph)
21 CC....still own
40 ft "cruiser" with some speed (slipped) .....purchased 2018, still own

These are significantly different boats and I've gone up/down/up/down in size. All of them did exactly what I wanted them to do at the time I owned them.
question answer?
Old 10-10-2020, 12:54 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mechanicsville VA
Posts: 8,393
Received 926 Likes on 505 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1NO REGRETS View Post
question answer?
Maybe I don't understand your question????

That is the list of boats I've owned since 1994. Each time I sold the previous one was to move into a bigger, or smaller, or different type of boat. 2 of the boats were too big and slipped (not counting the ones I bought specifically to re-sell). The rest were trailered and stored at home in the garage.

Old 10-10-2020, 01:06 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: boynton beach fl
Posts: 4,740
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts
Default

sounds like Joe B. not a direct answer to the original question.I DO NOT CARE ABOUT why you did or what you did..I want to know the reasoning.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:21 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mechanicsville VA
Posts: 8,393
Received 926 Likes on 505 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1NO REGRETS View Post
sounds like Joe B. not a direct answer to the original question.I DO NOT CARE ABOUT why you did or what you did..I want to know the reasoning.
The reasoning? Isn't that "why"?

I sold because my boating desires changed. Instead of a slow/fat cabin cruiser I wanted to water ski so we changed boats.....Later I wanted a big cabin again and switched. Eventually I liked the cabin but wanted to cover more ground so I bought a cigarette boat that had a serviceable cabin but was much faster (we'd cover 120 miles in 2 hours). Once dealing with trailering a 38ft boat got old we went back to a little CC to get on the water but had to stay close to the ramp.......Then the day came we wanted to explore new parts of the Chesapeake bay and bought a boat we could spend a week at a time in but also cover ground fairly easily (40mph cruise). Those were the reasons for boat change.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:51 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 1,505
Received 846 Likes on 442 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
The reasoning? Isn't that "why"?

I sold because my boating desires changed. Instead of a slow/fat cabin cruiser I wanted to water ski so we changed boats.....Later I wanted a big cabin again and switched. Eventually I liked the cabin but wanted to cover more ground so I bought a cigarette boat that had a serviceable cabin but was much faster (we'd cover 120 miles in 2 hours). Once dealing with trailering a 38ft boat got old we went back to a little CC to get on the water but had to stay close to the ramp.......Then the day came we wanted to explore new parts of the Chesapeake bay and bought a boat we could spend a week at a time in but also cover ground fairly easily (40mph cruise). Those were the reasons for boat change.
Don’t worry, you’re not the only one confused by his response....

And just so I don’t get yelled at too.....

I sold to go bigger. Keep my boat on a lift.
Old 10-10-2020, 02:23 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,415
Received 374 Likes on 236 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
The reasoning? Isn't that "why"?

I sold because my boating desires changed. Instead of a slow/fat cabin cruiser I wanted to water ski so we changed boats.....Later I wanted a big cabin again and switched. Eventually I liked the cabin but wanted to cover more ground so I bought a cigarette boat that had a serviceable cabin but was much faster (we'd cover 120 miles in 2 hours). Once dealing with trailering a 38ft boat got old we went back to a little CC to get on the water but had to stay close to the ramp.......Then the day came we wanted to explore new parts of the Chesapeake bay and bought a boat we could spend a week at a time in but also cover ground fairly easily (40mph cruise). Those were the reasons for boat change.
You may say what ever you like. You’re still the hero around these parts BZ
Old 10-10-2020, 11:29 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,244
Received 1,427 Likes on 885 Posts
Default

10ft -> 16ft -> 20ft -> 44ft. 10fter was great. Took it all over the place launching/fishing off remote beaches. 16 & 20fters were ok for day boating but limited to usable launching facilities. Kept the 10fter and still used it a fair bit. 44fter we do 1000nm 10 day trips to even more remote areas, day trips, overnights, weekends etc. Finally sold the 10fter. Have looked at going bigger, but limited advantages vs the 44fter so not convinced yet. Aldo gets harder to handle solo. All comes back to what you want to achieve with your boat.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:07 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: boynton beach fl
Posts: 4,740
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts
Default

sorry for the confusion. Just looking for a list of sorts:
bigger or smaller , done with boating or fishing? was kept on a trailer, lift or wet slipped.
like a poll but not formal.
I was not shouting or yelling, just don't know how to change font to identify the focus of the response.
my apologies for coming across as if I was yelling. Not MY intent.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.