Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Becoming a custom “knife maker”

Notices

Becoming a custom “knife maker”

Old 08-21-2020, 08:37 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: James Island, SC
Posts: 3,293
Received 336 Likes on 207 Posts
Default Becoming a custom “knife maker”

Is if just me, or is this the biggest crock of $@!+ fad in the outdoors industry in quite some time?

Unfortunately, or fortunately not sure which, we see a lot of “custom” knife makers come through SEWE here in Charleston every year. Probably 20+ “knife makers” in any given year. And it gives me serious slight towards any “knife maker” or whatever you want to call it. Same ol 3-4 drop point or skinner at every “knife makers” table at an absurd $400 a pop on average. Some look nice, some look like they’re authentically forged by Hellen Keller herself. Yes, I already know I’m going to hell for that statement.

I’m no stranger to expensive knives, have multiple Randall knives as well as other “custom” knives. But really? Are people so blind that they really just pay $3-400+ to every Tom Dick and Leroy that shows up at these outdoor expos for putting a sharpening job and stained cocobolo or bone handle on a knife kit they bought off the internet?
Old 08-22-2020, 08:37 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location:
Posts: 4,436
Received 1,811 Likes on 955 Posts
Default

There are guys with a grinder and a knife kit and there are master bladesmiths.

American Bladesmith
Old 08-22-2020, 09:09 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Trussville, AL
Posts: 1,073
Received 556 Likes on 323 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CUTiger2011 View Post
Is if just me, or is this the biggest crock of $@!+ fad in the outdoors industry in quite some time?

Unfortunately, or fortunately not sure which, we see a lot of “custom” knife makers come through SEWE here in Charleston every year. Probably 20+ “knife makers” in any given year. And it gives me serious slight towards any “knife maker” or whatever you want to call it. Same ol 3-4 drop point or skinner at every “knife makers” table at an absurd $400 a pop on average. Some look nice, some look like they’re authentically forged by Hellen Keller herself. Yes, I already know I’m going to hell for that statement.

I’m no stranger to expensive knives, have multiple Randall knives as well as other “custom” knives. But really? Are people so blind that they really just pay $3-400+ to every Tom Dick and Leroy that shows up at these outdoor expos for putting a sharpening job and stained cocobolo or bone handle on a knife kit they bought off the internet?
Some are just wannabes that watched too many Forged in Fire episodes. If you want to really see the real deal go to the Blade Show in Atlanta. It has collectors, all the major manufacturers, custom blade makers and equipment manufacturers. It is like the Miami Boat Show for knives. If you look at enough custom knives you can start to recognize quality. In some instances you do pay a premium for collectability due to the name of the maker (just like a lot of things).
Old 08-22-2020, 10:14 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 722
Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

Agree with all the sentiments here but I also recognize some the these startups, especially the late teen and 20 somethings are the next generation of the art. I’m also a knife guy albeit I don’t consider myself a collector. My most expensive blades are Doziers and Reeves. Forged in fire has made people think they can get a grinder and sell a blade for 400 bucks. When in reality we all know a true custom from a talented smith vs a hammered out blank with Home Depot scales.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:41 AM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 73
Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts
Default

There are a lot of people selling Pakistani and other blades that they put "custom" scales on. If I was paying that for a blade (and I have) I would buy it from one of the custom blade smiths who sells their knives and/or has a history on bladeforums. More information about custom and name brand knives and their makers can be found there than most will ever want to know.
Old 08-22-2020, 05:29 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Trussville, AL
Posts: 1,073
Received 556 Likes on 323 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Erobinson1 View Post
Agree with all the sentiments here but I also recognize some the these startups, especially the late teen and 20 somethings are the next generation of the art. I’m also a knife guy albeit I don’t consider myself a collector. My most expensive blades are Doziers and Reeves. Forged in fire has made people think they can get a grinder and sell a blade for 400 bucks. When in reality we all know a true custom from a talented smith vs a hammered out blank with Home Depot scales.
Both great Knives. I am a real big fan of the Doziers. It will probably be my next "name" knife. The only collectables I have are a couple of Randalls (see below). I have two Dozier designed Bokers (One green micarta with a brown sheath and one black micarta with a black sheath) that I love (see below). I really want a "real" Dozier to add to my collection.

Not my actual Randall #15 but this is Identical except my sheath is "natural" brown.

This is what a Randall Model 14 I have on order will look like.





Again not my actual knife but this is what the Boker/Doziers look like,


Last edited by xl883lo; 08-22-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:52 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 180
Received 261 Likes on 132 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FishnDive View Post
There are guys with a grinder and a knife kit and there are master bladesmiths.

American Bladesmith
Maybe check out the Blade Show in Atlanta next June, lots of nice folks.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:10 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Raleigh/MHC
Posts: 1,637
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

I have "assembled" a bunch of custom knives for gifts - there are some really nice blades available, but at the end of the day it is just custom scales on mass produced blades.
Old 08-23-2020, 12:22 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,342
Received 1,688 Likes on 912 Posts
Default

If they can get that much money, more power to them.

It is called capitalism. Thought y’all were fans of it but there sure is a lot of complaining on this board about people who take advantage of trends.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:58 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gulf Breeze, fl
Posts: 13
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Check out recatto knives. Top O the line craftsman.
Old 08-23-2020, 05:26 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 822
Received 184 Likes on 86 Posts
Default

Emerson CQC7.
Old 08-23-2020, 05:42 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: James Island, SC
Posts: 3,293
Received 336 Likes on 207 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by N2theblue View Post
If they can get that much money, more power to them.

It is called capitalism. Thought y’all were fans of it but there sure is a lot of complaining on this board about people who take advantage of trends.
Not complaining about capitalism in the slightest. I’m asking if people are really so blind as to fork out a pile of money for a complete POS. Apparently so I guess
Old 08-23-2020, 05:48 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Jax, Fl
Posts: 4,379
Received 623 Likes on 384 Posts
Default

Gerald's machete made from a chainsaw bar is on the coolest I've seen.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:31 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 8,518
Likes: 0
Received 1,354 Likes on 734 Posts
Default

Same goes for some of the wood "artists". Go to any art show and there are a bunch of people selling bowls, boxes, etc. Some of them show real craftsmanship and some wouldn't get a passing grade a high school shop class. I've got a bowl that my dad bought at an art show that could have been really much better but the maker couldn't be bothered with a decent finish. It is an oblong shape carved out of a hunk of cherry. You can see the grinder marks in it. Another hour worth of work and it would have been something to be proud of. But my dad bought it, so there's that.

Disclaimer: My dad's eye sight wasn't so good in his last few years so...
Old 08-23-2020, 06:37 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 890
Received 490 Likes on 246 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CUTiger2011 View Post
Not complaining about capitalism in the slightest. I’m asking if people are really so blind as to fork out a pile of money for a complete POS. Apparently so I guess
Not necessarily. Just because someone has their crap set up at a show, doesn't mean they are selling enough to even cover the booth fees.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:53 AM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 6,460
Received 3,070 Likes on 1,759 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CUTiger2011 View Post
Not complaining about capitalism in the slightest. I’m asking if people are really so blind as to fork out a pile of money for a complete POS. Apparently so I guess
asking price and selling price most of the time are vastly apart!
Old 08-24-2020, 06:17 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sienna Plantation, TX.
Posts: 3,233
Received 1,655 Likes on 783 Posts
Default

Got to be the easiest business in the world. Grind down and old saw blade, slap on a cocobolo handle, collect your $500.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.