Notices

2005 Lexus ES 300 value help

Old 08-20-2020, 02:03 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
spraynet 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sanford, FL
Posts: 7,440
Received 2,613 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default 2005 Lexus ES 300 value help

Was asked today to help determine a value of a car owned by an older lady who recently passed. Yes...a real barely driven car. Only 57,530 miles. 4 dr sedan, silver, in very-good to excellent shape.
The places I usually look are all over the place from $2500 - $8400. Crazy!!! Any idea's let me know please, the family is selling it to one of there church goers and needs to know what to ask!

It's got Leather seats, interior in very good condition, car maintenance always kept up by lexus. Sorry, I don't have any pictures. I'll see if I can get them soon.

Any help appreciated.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:13 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Whiskey Point
Posts: 227
Received 90 Likes on 44 Posts
Default

I see several on line with similar mileage @
8500-10,000
Old 08-20-2020, 03:19 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,397
Received 3,336 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Default

There is this youtube craze going on right now where everyone who was a teen when these cars were new want to buy them as an adult. The values especially on very clean cars is unreal. One of the more popular YouTubers who also is a writer/editor for autotrader.com started an auction for these types of cars. I would list it there. He has 3.5M followers and the other channels that plug this site have about the same amount.

https://carsandbids.com/

Old 08-20-2020, 03:44 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ohio ~ The I'm outta here state
Posts: 62
Likes: 0
Received 509 Likes on 319 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Lorne Greene View Post
There is this youtube craze going on right now where everyone who was a teen when these cars were new want to buy them as an adult. The values especially on very clean cars is unreal. One of the more popular YouTubers who also is a writer/editor for autotrader.com started an auction for these types of cars. I would list it there. He has 3.5M followers and the other channels that plug this site have about the same amount.

https://carsandbids.com/
I always enjoyed Doug Demuro's writing & then his videos - I'm a big fan of Bringatrailer.com & Doug has actually sold a few cars there which probably helped him to consider doing his new site

Here's an article discussing it: https://drivetribe.com/p/why-cars-an...T8GbPU34nuBv0w

With that said - I pretty much still only follow BaT
Old 08-20-2020, 04:13 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 1,158
Likes: 0
Received 950 Likes on 378 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by loverofshells View Post
I always enjoyed Doug Demuro's writing & then his videos - I'm a big fan of Bringatrailer.com & Doug has actually sold a few cars there which probably helped him to consider doing his new site

Here's an article discussing it: https://drivetribe.com/p/why-cars-an...T8GbPU34nuBv0w

With that said - I pretty much still only follow BaT

For top dollar, this Bringatrailer.com.

Old 08-20-2020, 05:30 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 492
Received 496 Likes on 251 Posts
Default

thats not a bring a trailer car... its a camry with lipstick on it. OP, take it to carmax and see what they will give you... then add 4k to it. thats solid retail value. my guess is 7-9k.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:20 AM
  #7  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 2,225
Received 515 Likes on 238 Posts
Default

A few years ago, I sold my 2002 ES300 with 350K miles (not a typo) for $3500. Everything original except starter and alternator, aside from wear and tear items.

I loved that freakin car, and would have drove it across the country the day I sold it without hesitation. I just simply no longer had a need for it as it was too grandma-ish to be my teenage kid's first car.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:38 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
spraynet 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sanford, FL
Posts: 7,440
Received 2,613 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I believe they're going to ask $6500 for it and see what they say. I think that's a tad high, but what do I know. I told them to bring it to carmax for a valuation, but I guess they don't buy cars older than 2005 they said.

Again....Thanks everyone......
Old 08-21-2020, 08:18 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 8,286
Likes: 0
Received 3,958 Likes on 2,234 Posts
Default

Why not take it to a place like CarMax and get a written offer.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:29 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: orlando madbeach, fl
Posts: 9,392
Received 1,685 Likes on 795 Posts
Default

Try and find a low mileage clean used car for under $10k! They don't exist. $6500 is a steal for that car.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:54 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 543
Received 186 Likes on 92 Posts
Default

I've been poking around the market as I've got a 15 y.o.boy. (I get constant "hey dad, what do you think of this car for $XXX) This is a 5.5k car to me. Just looked at a Honda accord in my neighborhood, same thing 2007 with 40k miles on it. Old lady's car garage kept it's whole life and serviced constantly. It was a 4k car to me. Someone is paying cash for this car, either a person who wants to drive it forever as a commuter, or someone buying it for a kid. Both those audiences want it cheap. It's a toyota avalon dressed up a little.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:35 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
spraynet 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sanford, FL
Posts: 7,440
Received 2,613 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PiperMachine View Post
I've been poking around the market as I've got a 15 y.o.boy. (I get constant "hey dad, what do you think of this car for $XXX) This is a 5.5k car to me. Just looked at a Honda accord in my neighborhood, same thing 2007 with 40k miles on it. Old lady's car garage kept it's whole life and serviced constantly. It was a 4k car to me. Someone is paying cash for this car, either a person who wants to drive it forever as a commuter, or someone buying it for a kid. Both those audiences want it cheap. It's a toyota avalon dressed up a little.

While I would agree with your value in "normal" times, we aren't in that time frame. I've really started doing my homework on this. It's a $7500 car all day long now days!

They're selling it to friends of there's for a good price and know it will be taken care of.


Thanks though, I know what you mean. Stuff is crazy high.

Hope that lasts till next Spring when we sell our place.
Old 08-22-2020, 05:20 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,739
Likes: 0
Received 653 Likes on 359 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by spraynet 1 View Post
While I would agree with your value in "normal" times, we aren't in that time frame. I've really started doing my homework on this. It's a $7500 car all day long now days!

They're selling it to friends of there's for a good price and know it will be taken care of.
.
If selling to a relative or friend, take money off the top and tell the buyer that you can't guarantee a single thing on the car, and please don't mention having to fix anything on it. The money off the top is for any little things that might need doing after the purchase.
Old 08-22-2020, 05:36 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
spraynet 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sanford, FL
Posts: 7,440
Received 2,613 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default

I tried to convince them not to sell the car to friends. That never works out, but I don't think they listened.

Not my problem though, I (you folks!) have done our good deed for the day!
Old 08-22-2020, 03:11 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
flyau98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The Blackwater River, FL
Posts: 3,500
Received 220 Likes on 107 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mikefloyd View Post
Why not take it to a place like CarMax and get a written offer.
because their offers on anything that isn’t nearly new are STUPID low.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.