Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Why do people that adopt animals need to tell you about their "rescue"?

Notices

Why do people that adopt animals need to tell you about their "rescue"?

Old 08-10-2020, 01:24 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: SW, FL
Posts: 108
Received 139 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Why do people that adopt animals need to tell you about their "rescue"?

Why can't anybody just say they got a mutt from the pound anymore? Why do people need to feel they are saving humanity and you should oooh and ahhh over their good deed by telling you about their "rescue" dog/cat/gerbil/whatever? It's like vegans/crossfitters/people in martial arts needed one more thing to volunteer to people to make themselves feel better.
Maybe I'm a bitter old man, but I'm getting tired of it. Did you really get the dog because it was going to die if you hadn't... or did you get a pound puppy because you're a cheap bastard that likes ugly dogs?

-Mag
Old 08-10-2020, 01:26 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Retired Bizy Livin
Posts: 7,819
Received 1,357 Likes on 961 Posts
Default

out of touch with reality. They "need" you to hear them. Love to hear themselves talk as well.

Old friend of mine says "you always know what a guy's missing most by the way he talks about it"
Old 08-10-2020, 01:31 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 307
Likes: 0
Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
Default rescue

Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
Why can't anybody just say they got a mutt from the pound anymore? Why do people need to feel they are saving humanity and you should oooh and ahhh over their good deed by telling you about their "rescue" dog/cat/gerbil/whatever? It's like vegans/crossfitters/people in martial arts needed one more thing to volunteer to people to make themselves feel better.
Maybe I'm a bitter old man, but I'm getting tired of it. Did you really get the dog because it was going to die if you hadn't... or did you get a pound puppy because you're a cheap bastard that likes ugly dogs?

-Mag
yes yes yes yes yes
Old 08-10-2020, 01:41 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,298
Received 424 Likes on 186 Posts
Default

If asked where I got her, I say she's a rescue off of Craigslist (what else would I say?). I'm guessing from your post though, you didn't ask...
Old 08-10-2020, 01:42 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 409
Received 438 Likes on 216 Posts
Default

If you need to ask it's not worth the effort to explain .
Old 08-10-2020, 02:14 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: SW, FL
Posts: 108
Received 139 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by houtxfisher View Post
If asked where I got her, I say she's a rescue off of Craigslist (what else would I say?). I'm guessing from your post though, you didn't ask...
So what exactly was she rescued from?
Old 08-10-2020, 02:15 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: SW, FL
Posts: 108
Received 139 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Unga Bunga View Post
If you need to ask it's not worth the effort to explain .
That's reasoning a middle school kid would use... please explain.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:19 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Newport, RI & Key West, FL
Posts: 4,332
Received 526 Likes on 238 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
Why can't anybody just say they got a mutt from the pound anymore? Why do people need to feel they are saving humanity and you should oooh and ahhh over their good deed by telling you about their "rescue" dog/cat/gerbil/whatever? It's like vegans/crossfitters/people in martial arts needed one more thing to volunteer to people to make themselves feel better.
Maybe I'm a bitter old man, but I'm getting tired of it. Did you really get the dog because it was going to die if you hadn't... or did you get a pound puppy because you're a cheap bastard that likes ugly dogs?

-Mag
Do small things in life trigger you like this frequently?

You should rescue a dog..... might calm you down and then YOU have a story.....
Old 08-10-2020, 02:25 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,805
Received 258 Likes on 208 Posts
Default

Just bragging.
Bragging is the Signature of the 21st Century.

They think it is cool to brag about themselves.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:26 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 19
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
Why can't anybody just say they got a mutt from the pound anymore? Why do people need to feel they are saving humanity and you should oooh and ahhh over their good deed by telling you about their "rescue" dog/cat/gerbil/whatever? It's like vegans/crossfitters/people in martial arts needed one more thing to volunteer to people to make themselves feel better.
Maybe I'm a bitter old man, but I'm getting tired of it. Did you really get the dog because it was going to die if you hadn't... or did you get a pound puppy because you're a cheap bastard that likes ugly dogs?

-Mag
You sound like a very bitter grumpy old man. I adopt because dogs are put to sleep everyday, while people feel the need to spend thousands on the latest and greatest breed, regardless of what it is. Then after a few years they give it up to a shelter because they have no idea what sort of commitment it is. I agree with the post above, maybe you should rescue a pup and experience the joy it brings. However, never ever tell the story of how or why you got the pup.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:30 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,298
Received 424 Likes on 186 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
So what exactly was she rescued from?
The needle?
Old 08-10-2020, 02:35 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ramrod Key, FL
Posts: 3,352
Received 2,484 Likes on 944 Posts
Default

Sometimes it's easier to say "I rescued this dog" than to explain how/why the dog actually rescued the person.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:36 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: St Petersburg FL
Posts: 149
Received 84 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

I can't imagine living a life where something as minuscule as this would bug me to the point of needing to vent about it on a boating forum.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:36 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: See screen name
Posts: 5,869
Received 829 Likes on 516 Posts
Default

No different than people who buy a purebred dog for $$$ and tell you all about the breeder and the breeding and the breed and on and on and on.... or people who buy a cool new gun or want to show you their home theater system or.. you get the idea. Nothing wrong with nodding your head politely and let them rap about something that is obviously important to them.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:36 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Lprizman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rhode island
Posts: 7,039
Received 4,799 Likes on 2,124 Posts
Default

Well since you brought it up here some pics of our rescue...going on 5 years now...been a totally glorious adventure RESCUING him from a shelter.

I think RESCUE dogs really understand that being RESCUED they appreciate the 2nd opportunity being RESCUED.
We will definitely RESCUE again.
Enjoy the pics our RESCUE...his name is Red.


Red likes to sleep with me...probably because he appreciates that we RESCUED him.

Red likes tile floors....better than the concrete place we RESCUED him from.

Red loves green grass...grass is always greener when your RESCUED!

Red loves lounging around since we RESCUED him.

Nap time for our Red who we RESCUED.

Since we RESCUED Red i clean his ears and eyes weekly.

Awwww....kisses for RESCUING me Daddy!!

Snuggle time everyday since we RESCUED him.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:37 PM
  #16  
HTJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Baytown, TX
Posts: 12,118
Received 3,590 Likes on 2,218 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by wezie View Post
Just bragging.
Bragging is the Signature of the 21st Century.

They think it is cool to brag about themselves.
Yup no difference from anyone that is a social media whore or posts shitty amateur cell phone videos to youtube of themselves pretending to demonstrate some knowledge or skill. If all of the dogs and cats in all of the pounds in the country were to go poof overnight the net effect to humanity would be nil...and I'm both a dog and cat guy.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:43 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: North NJ
Posts: 935
Received 486 Likes on 292 Posts
Default

We just rescued a puppy, he was absolutely the most hansom dog in the pictures, and still is. Everyone wants him as their own.

So because we got him as a puppy, and he is a good looking dog, I can see people's reactions assuming we paid $$$ thinking oh... jeez, you should have rescued. Literally can watch demeanor change when when we say he was a rescue.

It shouldn't matter to them either way, but just putting it out there that is the other side. It's 2020, you're going to be judged no matter what you say or do. So to the OP, I say deal with it.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:47 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,702
Received 3,904 Likes on 2,038 Posts
Default

How do you feel about child adoption and rescue?

People brag about all kinds of shit these days. Who cares?

I would rather hear about someone saving a dog or child and giving them a better life than about their new Freeman being built every 2 years.

F'd up Thread IMHO.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:54 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Baltimore,Maryland
Posts: 6,327
Received 798 Likes on 531 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Lprizman View Post
Well since you brought it up here some pics of our rescue...going on 5 years now...been a totally glorious adventure RESCUING him from a shelter.

I think RESCUE dogs really understand that being RESCUED they appreciate the 2nd opportunity being RESCUED.
We will definitely RESCUE again.
Enjoy the pics our RESCUE...his name is Red.


Red likes to sleep with me...probably because he appreciates that we RESCUED him.

Red likes tile floors....better than the concrete place we RESCUED him from.

Red loves green grass...grass is always greener when your RESCUED!

Red loves lounging around since we RESCUED him.

Nap time for our Red who we RESCUED.

Since we RESCUED Red i clean his ears and eyes weekly.

Awwww....kisses for RESCUING me Daddy!!

Snuggle time everyday since we RESCUED him.
Lance ,You're GONE!!!!!!! You Used the word Rescue and to top it off.....Looks like a Pitbull to Me !!!!
Old 08-10-2020, 02:56 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Lprizman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rhode island
Posts: 7,039
Received 4,799 Likes on 2,124 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
Lance ,You're GONE!!!!!!! You Used the word Rescue and to top it off.....Looks like a Pitbull to Me !!!!
Yes!! your correct!!

We did RESCUE him!!!
Wanna hear our RESCUE story???






Lololol!!!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.