Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

What is wrong with people?? (A long, funny day trip story)

Notices

What is wrong with people?? (A long, funny day trip story)

Old 07-12-2020, 09:10 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chesapeake, Va
Posts: 1,800
Received 155 Likes on 75 Posts
Default What is wrong with people?? (A long, funny day trip story)

So we took a little 6 hour car ride/mini vacation over the weekend.

our plan was pretty simple, we thought


day one - drive to little river SC, air bnb for the night. I was going to hop on the overnight trip with my wife visited with family there

the following day, hit the road and head to Charleston to look around at perspective neighborhoods/ area for our upcoming move down

hang there a day or two (had the air bnb already set up)

then head home on Monday.


leaving va went well enough. Upon arrival to north myrtle beach, my 14yo niece decided she wanted Chick-fil-A for lunch. No problem. So we are in line and I guess the car infront of me HONKED at the car infront of him. Next thong I know 4 black guys are dragging a kid (in a neck brace) out of the car- kid was the passenger and all of 14/15 years old. My wife was freaking out, she’s knows I don’t tolerate that kind of bullshit, but I have two women in the truck... and neither them want me to go to jail. A guy behind us comes running up, weapon drawn, and gets the 4 grown men off the kid. Kid was beat all to hell. Of course, at this point, the guys who were beating the kids tear ass out of the parking lot, hitting several other cars in the process. the kid was ok, for the most part.

we hang out for the cops to show, almost a hour later, and they give us the “not much you can do, really” line of bs.

so at this point, I’m ready to just head to Charleston and be done with it.

my wife insisted we use our room and I go fishing

we get to the place, and the owner is there, and won’t let us in because of my niece. Mind you it’s a 2 bed, 2 bath, $300/night place, prepaid.

we have words, a lot of them. My wife tried
to be diplomatic and reasonable. I did not.

we find a la Quinta, with a open room. And secured it for the night. We get up to the room and I wouldn’t even let them(wife and niece) enter. There was either blood or feces on the floor and bed frame. Some sort of dried liquid in the headboard and wall. And the toilet hadn’t been cleaned since taco night last month from
the looks of it.

I put them back in the truck and go back inside the reception desk and demand a refund. They didn’t want to give me one. I ended up getting the manager to go upstairs and look for himself- then he was very apologetic and refunded me and wanted to comp
another night at any of the hotel’s. I just wanted my money back.

so plans are steady evolving. We go to grab some shrimp for dinner. Mind you we are in South Carolina at a seafood shack on the side of the river. I watched them take a bag of Sysco imported Chinese shrimp out and begin to thaw it for us. I asked are they cooking those for us, and the reply was of course. Wife
wanted a crab cake... and it came out of a sleeve of frozen patty’s looking like some stuff that Walmart would reject. My niece got a burger... hell they are pretty safe, right? This thing was so sorry it made McDonald’ $0.99 plain burger look like a Gordon Ramsey culinary masterpiece. Before the food is sat in the table the tab comes. That was the breaking point. $74 for 8 frozen shrimp, a Chinese craby party and a bottom dollar soybean burger. My wife and niece got up and went to the truck- they knew what was coming. I told the guy he’d need the cops before he’d get a dollar out of me.

we grabbed some publix chicken and had a tailgate picnic

while we were eating our yard bird, I called the boat and let them know I wasn’t going to be boarding. The first words out of the guys mouth were “you know your not getting a refund, we didnt cancel
the trip”. I told him where he could insert the $200. I didn’t want a refund, rain check, reach around and anything g else. I just did t want them to hold the boat for me when I was headed north at 80mph.
.
it was at that point, we said f it and drove the 400 miles back home. The people down there use to be so nice and helpful. Always had a great time, great food... they will never get another buck from me.

20 hours in the truck, 850 miles, and we have sworn off little river/calabash.


hope this helps someone, or atleast make you laugh.... because that’s about where we are with it.

i mean are we unrealistic? It’s like no one down there have a damn as long as they got their money and didn’t cause them any extra labor.

Last edited by capt.holiday; 07-12-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:24 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 378
Likes: 0
Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Wow.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:41 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 121
Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Default

Wow, indeed! What a terrible experience.
Why couldn’t your niece stay at the first prepaid place?
Old 07-12-2020, 09:49 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chesapeake, Va
Posts: 1,800
Received 155 Likes on 75 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Beasdoc View Post
Wow, indeed! What a terrible experience.
Why couldn’t your niece stay at the first prepaid place?
the lady said we booked for 2 adults, not 2 adults and a teenager. I really don’t see the issue swing as we are a family, it was paid for and everything else was on the up and up.

not sure what her problem was. I mean it was a 2bed/2bath condo, for one night. It was rented as a 4 person unit (also advertised a fold out couch). I’ll get my money back, it’ll just take some leg work.

I could see it a teenager showed up alone, or a creeper and a kid, or any number of things. But she was just being stubborn.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:55 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Brookline, Ma.
Posts: 1,852
Received 1,053 Likes on 523 Posts
Default

Y-I-K-E-S!!! My wife would have just freaked out beyond anything......... just at the kid beating!! Restaurant story was good....I salute you for getting out and telling them to call the cops!! Kudo's to you. Sounds like the la Quinta was a crime scene for a porno movie. With all this "road trip" experience, wonder what your neice had to say about all this. Would be interesting to get her take on all this..... Thanks for sharing, but it sounds good in the fact you made it home, alive, no food poisoning, and not arrested!!!!!
Old 07-12-2020, 10:40 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
spraynet 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sanford, FL
Posts: 7,439
Received 2,613 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default

Stop it with all the bitching, whining, & sad sack story......You Had Publics Chicken !!!!!!!!!!

Couldn't resist....I love me some P chicken. Makes the world a better place.

Old 07-12-2020, 10:51 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Keller Texas
Posts: 302
Received 174 Likes on 79 Posts
Default

https://www.star-telegram.com/entert...le3825482.html

This guy didn’t like someone honking at him in the Chic-fil-A line.
I guess if you drive a Bentley you expect not to put up with that kind of behavior.
I sure wouldn’t know.
I’ve had days like that. They usually involve a boat!
Great story, thanks for sharing.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:38 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 922
Likes: 0
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

We drove to Florida from Michigan to stay at a resort for a few days that i was talked into buying at a Bass Pro Shop. Once we got there we were told that they had overbooked and directed us to a Comfort Inn that reeked of Chlorine (there was no pool). I couldn't stand that smell so we drove to St Augustine and found a nice place to stay. I never bothered to try any of the other places that were included in that package deal. I tell that story to the people selling that deal at BP when they try to sell me another round of chlorine at comfort inn. SO many people are out there just to rip you off.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:54 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Rocky Point FL
Posts: 8,728
Received 1,598 Likes on 767 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by capt.holiday View Post
So we took a little 6 hour car ride/mini vacation over the weekend.

our plan was pretty simple, we thought


day one - drive to little river SC, air bnb for the night. I was going to hop on the overnight trip with my wife visited with family there

the following day, hit the road and head to Charleston to look around at perspective neighborhoods/ area for our upcoming move down

hang there a day or two (had the air bnb already set up)

then head home on Monday.


leaving va went well enough. Upon arrival to north myrtle beach, my 14yo niece decided she wanted Chick-fil-A for lunch. No problem. So we are in line and I guess the car infront of me HONKED at the car infront of him. Next thong I know 4 black guys are dragging a kid (in a neck brace) out of the car- kid was the passenger and all of 14/15 years old. My wife was freaking out, she’s knows I don’t tolerate that kind of bullshit, but I have two women in the truck... and neither them want me to go to jail. A guy behind us comes running up, weapon drawn, and gets the 4 grown men off the kid. Kid was beat all to hell. Of course, at this point, the guys who were beating the kids tear ass out of the parking lot, hitting several other cars in the process. the kid was ok, for the most part.

we hang out for the cops to show, almost a hour later, and they give us the “not much you can do, really” line of bs.

so at this point, I’m ready to just head to Charleston and be done with it.

my wife insisted we use our room and I go fishing

we get to the place, and the owner is there, and won’t let us in because of my niece. Mind you it’s a 2 bed, 2 bath, $300/night place, prepaid.

we have words, a lot of them. My wife tried
to be diplomatic and reasonable. I did not.

we find a la Quinta, with a open room. And secured it for the night. We get up to the room and I wouldn’t even let them(wife and niece) enter. There was either blood or feces on the floor and bed frame. Some sort of dried liquid in the headboard and wall. And the toilet hadn’t been cleaned since taco night last month from
the looks of it.

I put them back in the truck and go back inside the reception desk and demand a refund. They didn’t want to give me one. I ended up getting the manager to go upstairs and look for himself- then he was very apologetic and refunded me and wanted to comp
another night at any of the hotel’s. I just wanted my money back.

so plans are steady evolving. We go to grab some shrimp for dinner. Mind you we are in South Carolina at a seafood shack on the side of the river. I watched them take a bag of Sysco imported Chinese shrimp out and begin to thaw it for us. I asked are they cooking those for us, and the reply was of course. Wife
wanted a crab cake... and it came out of a sleeve of frozen patty’s looking like some stuff that Walmart would reject. My niece got a burger... hell they are pretty safe, right? This thing was so sorry it made McDonald’ $0.99 plain burger look like a Gordon Ramsey culinary masterpiece. Before the food is sat in the table the tab comes. That was the breaking point. $74 for 8 frozen shrimp, a Chinese craby party and a bottom dollar soybean burger. My wife and niece got up and went to the truck- they knew what was coming. I told the guy he’d need the cops before he’d get a dollar out of me.

we grabbed some publix chicken and had a tailgate picnic

while we were eating our yard bird, I called the boat and let them know I wasn’t going to be boarding. The first words out of the guys mouth were “you know your not getting a refund, we didnt cancel
the trip”. I told him where he could insert the $200. I didn’t want a refund, rain check, reach around and anything g else. I just did t want them to hold the boat for me when I was headed north at 80mph.
.
it was at that point, we said f it and drove the 400 miles back home. The people down there use to be so nice and helpful. Always had a great time, great food... they will never get another buck from me.

20 hours in the truck, 850 miles, and we have sworn off little river/calabash.


hope this helps someone, or atleast make you laugh.... because that’s about where we are with it.

i mean are we unrealistic? It’s like no one down there have a damn as long as they got their money and didn’t cause them any extra labor.
Wow!would make a great Netflix movie
Old 07-12-2020, 01:19 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
OffshoreApparel.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,636
Received 542 Likes on 323 Posts
Default

Damn


.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:35 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 45
Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

I booked the suite in carabelle Fl at the Georgian hotel,it was the only room available in the area. I drove there and went to check in and the Mgr told me she sold my room to a couple that wanted it 2 more nights than I did. She said what do you expect I can make more off of them than you. She was not apologizing she was acting like it was normal business. A reservation means nothing to them. People are just screwed up these days. Must be something in the water.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:46 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Stuart FL
Posts: 747
Received 271 Likes on 176 Posts
Default

After that..... I would be one on one with a bottle of Titto's
Old 07-12-2020, 01:51 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Corpus Christi TX
Posts: 3,967
Received 456 Likes on 300 Posts
Default Nmb

We’re originally from the mhc area of nc but have lived all over, currently in South Texas. We spent a few years in Murrells inlet and Sunset beach, and they are not southern towns at all hate to say it but it’s true. If your looking to relocate I’d look elsewhere that area is way overpriced and over rated.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:52 PM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: pascagoula,ms
Posts: 9,484
Received 1,973 Likes on 979 Posts
Default

damn that does suckand I thought I had a bad day..........

Pics of wife?
Old 07-12-2020, 02:53 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 890
Received 490 Likes on 246 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by nc_robbie75 View Post
We’re originally from the mhc area of nc but have lived all over, currently in South Texas. We spent a few years in Murrells inlet and Sunset beach, and they are not southern towns at all hate to say it but it’s true. If your looking to relocate I’d look elsewhere that area is way overpriced and over rated.
Bingo! You beat me to it.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:03 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 121
Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by r.waddill View Post
Wow!would make a great Netflix movie
i think Russel Crowe is starring in the soon-to-be released feature Film.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:50 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 667
Likes: 0
Received 713 Likes on 441 Posts
Default

sounds like you needed to pull you weapon and make those guys lay face down waiting on the cops.
may have needed to kneel on one of their necks for a few minutes

Last edited by 99yam40; 07-13-2020 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:46 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: NE FL
Posts: 463
Received 308 Likes on 156 Posts
Default

I would've ended up in jail.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:23 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,231
Likes: 0
Received 400 Likes on 212 Posts
Default

Am I the only one who keeps laughing at the OP - keyboard tough guy? Kid is twenty feet away being beat down, and he’s hiding in his truck with the ladies. Thankfully someone stepped up and helped the kid.

Entire post sounds like more mouth than action.

(Or I’m just cranky today)
Old 07-13-2020, 01:02 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Suffolk, Va.
Posts: 17,634
Likes: 0
Received 2,097 Likes on 1,066 Posts
Default

Why are you leaving the Chesapeake area to begin with.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.