Notices

Tractor Guys

Old 07-01-2020, 10:44 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Oldham co. Ky
Posts: 97
Received 220 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Tractor Guys

Probably not the right forum but know there are a few tractor guys here. I don't have a manual for my New Holland T1510 and am used to an old red belly Ford. This is a 3 cylinder diesel and was wondering what this cap is used for flushing? I can open it and see the rocker arms and usually it would be for oil in a gas engine but the oil goes in the yellow cap below. Any help would be great. Getting ready to change the glow plugs and need all the help I can get. No mechanic here. Thanks

Old 07-01-2020, 10:54 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 349
Likes: 0
Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Default

Typically, the Yellow is the dip stick, and the cap you are pointing to is to add oil. It's partially a matter of ease or convenience. Both will allow the oil to get where it need to be.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:03 AM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Oldham co. Ky
Posts: 97
Received 220 Likes on 116 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by toemandooug View Post
Typically, the Yellow is the dip stick, and the cap you are pointing to is to add oil. It's partially a matter of ease or convenience. Both will allow the oil to get where it need to be.
That's what I thought but the dip stick is actually down to the left . I found it strange to have two caps for one fluid. Thanks for the response. The reason I'm going threw it was I was loosing power while I was bushogging so I replaced the fuel , and air filter ….now it won't start. That's the reason I cook for a living lol.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:04 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 650
Received 172 Likes on 102 Posts
Default

Some engine manufactures will supply a couple places to add oil. It depends on the platform the engine is used in, you can fill from any of them.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:07 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Lprizman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rhode island
Posts: 7,040
Received 4,799 Likes on 2,124 Posts
Default

Alternative oil adding location.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:10 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Birdsboro, PA/ Lewes DE
Posts: 332
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

You probably have air in the fuel line as to why it won't start.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:13 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,185
Received 1,273 Likes on 705 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ZENFOLD View Post
You probably have air in the fuel line as to why it won't start.
This. Google for the procedure to purge the air.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:17 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,347
Received 9,224 Likes on 4,981 Posts
Default

Alternative oil adding location. Fairly standard, and allows the manufacturer to use the same engine platform across multiple models. Also in some cases allows you to more easily access oil fill versus another if a loader or such is installed

dipstick should be yellow in most cases, but often painted engine color.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:23 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,298
Received 424 Likes on 186 Posts
Default

Your glow plugs are probably fine, I would not change them. Get the air out and get it started, that problem is not glow plug related and neither is power loss.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:55 AM
  #10  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Oldham co. Ky
Posts: 97
Received 220 Likes on 116 Posts
Default

You guy's rule , Thanks for all the responses. I will google purging the fuel .
Old 07-01-2020, 12:19 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 517
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Glow plugs

Yes as said no issue with glow plugs they’re for staring the engine. Diesel don’t have plugs like a gas engine. Was the fuel filter dirty or clogged. Or did u check? Just curious. U may also have a dirty fuel tank. If you bleed the air out and it still has poor performance check back in good luck
Old 07-01-2020, 12:20 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,347
Received 9,224 Likes on 4,981 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Riverrat12 View Post
You guy's rule , Thanks for all the responses. I will google purging the fuel .
Is there a bulb or hand pump at the filter?

If so, what you typically do is crack a fuel line going into the injection pump, and pump by hand until fuel comes out there. If it still won't start, you may have to prime the injectors by cracking the lines at one or more of them, and rolling the motor over.

Edit to add, next time you do this, check and see if there is a fuel shutoff one one or both sides of the filter base. If so, shut them off. Also fill the fuel filter with diesel before installing. Most of the time, as long as you fill the filter and don't let the engine side drain out and get air in it, you don't have to manually prime it up.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:21 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Lprizman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rhode island
Posts: 7,040
Received 4,799 Likes on 2,124 Posts
Default

Glow plugs go where the sparkilators go and what Autobaun said is spot on.
Before changing spray with penetrating oil and let soak...loosen tighten loosens bit more tighten then loosen all the way
Old 07-01-2020, 12:26 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 8,435
Received 4,006 Likes on 2,265 Posts
Default

He replaced the fuel filter so he needs to bleed the fuel system. Just an FYI but it's a good idea to fill the new filer with fuel before installing. I would also be concerned about the quality of the fuel in the tank.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:24 PM
  #15  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Oldham co. Ky
Posts: 97
Received 220 Likes on 116 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by southernman13 View Post
Yes as said no issue with glow plugs they’re for staring the engine. Diesel don’t have plugs like a gas engine. Was the fuel filter dirty or clogged. Or did u check? Just curious. U may also have a dirty fuel tank. If you bleed the air out and it still has poor performance check back in good luck
Yes the fuel filter was dirty, had about 500 hour on it. There was a kernel of corn in it, how it got there I don't know.
Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
Is there a bulb or hand pump at the filter?

If so, what you typically do is crack a fuel line going into the injection pump, and pump by hand until fuel comes out there. If it still won't start, you may have to prime the injectors by cracking the lines at one or more of them, and rolling the motor over.

Edit to add, next time you do this, check and see if there is a fuel shutoff one one or both sides of the filter base. If so, shut them off. Also fill the fuel filter with diesel before installing. Most of the time, as long as you fill the filter and don't let the engine side drain out and get air in it, you don't have to manually prime it up.
There is a plastic bulb where the filter is, I need to check for the bleeders when I get home. The video I watched was exactly what you are telling me.
Originally Posted by Lprizman View Post
Glow plugs go where the sparkilators go and what Autobaun said is spot on.
Before changing spray with penetrating oil and let soak...loosen tighten loosens bit more tighten then loosen all the way
I figured since I was already going to get in mechanic mode I would go ahead and change them out. They looked like they were easy to get to and relatively cheap. I will definitely take your advice on the penetrating oil. I don't need this to turn into a bigger problem.
Originally Posted by mikefloyd View Post
He replaced the fuel filter so he needs to bleed the fuel system. Just an FYI but it's a good idea to fill the new filer with fuel before installing. I would also be concerned about the quality of the fuel in the tank.
I didn't fill the new filter with diesel, lesson learned. I knew everything was going to smoothly to get it right the first time LOL. Again thank you guy's for all of your responses. I am very fortune to have you guys for a resource.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:55 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sunny florida
Posts: 25,255
Received 5,411 Likes on 3,460 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Lprizman View Post
Alternative oil adding location.
This. I've gotta 1720 Ford with the same Shibaura engine. I can't access the cap on the valve cover.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:57 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sunny florida
Posts: 25,255
Received 5,411 Likes on 3,460 Posts
Default

Those things have little tiny fuel filter in the pump. I've had mine out several times without having to bleed the system.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:58 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: on the road / Ft Lauderdale
Posts: 3,518
Received 779 Likes on 471 Posts
Default

Manual might be online ,so you can download it. I had to download my Deere manual when I got my tractor.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:30 PM
  #19  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Oldham co. Ky
Posts: 97
Received 220 Likes on 116 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by billinstuart View Post
This. I've gotta 1720 Ford with the same Shibaura engine. I can't access the cap on the valve cover.
Mine screws right off. It will make it easier to change the oil after trying to put it down in the other area. Wish I had ask long ago.
Originally Posted by billinstuart View Post
Those things have little tiny fuel filter in the pump. I've had mine out several times without having to bleed the system.
Yes they are small, I guess I should have filled the new filter with fuel. At least I hope bleeding the air off is the problem.
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
Manual might be online ,so you can download it. I had to download my Deere manual when I got my tractor.
I'll have to look into it, the few I tried to look at wanted to charge me and or buy it. Thanks again guy's
Old 07-01-2020, 07:05 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boca Grande,FL
Posts: 2,105
Received 517 Likes on 270 Posts
Default

Have a similar New Holland with a Shibaura engine. On mine, there is a pump by the filter housing. Crack the fuel line downstream of the filter and pump until you have solid fuel flow.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.