Notices

Remington Versa Max opinons

Old 07-22-2020, 01:41 PM
  #121  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Jupiter
Posts: 413
Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts
Default

I had one of the very first Versa Max, I loved so much about the gun. In the beginning the pistons had issue, Remington stepped up every time no questions asked. Even replaced the entire firearm once! I sold it and bought an A5 since I get one firearm discounted per year. I regret selling the VersaMax I would have bought a new one but Remington discontinued the friends and family program. The A5 is a good gun, but that VersaMax was my favorite out of SX3, SBE3, Maxus, A5 and A400.
Best of luck with it, I never found a shell that gun wouldn't cycle.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:29 PM
  #122  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Middle Sound, NC
Posts: 2,008
Likes: 0
Received 324 Likes on 196 Posts
Default

Glad you like it. Did you get the plug thing figured out?

Never had any issues with the handle on mine but have heard that can be an issue.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:26 PM
  #123  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,349
Received 302 Likes on 204 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HookMeUpII View Post
Well, about Benelli's being the best...I don't know about that. Everyone and their son or brothers shoot Berettas down in Arkansas. Like I said, my A350 Xtrema didn't go boom on me exactly 2 times in what now has to be close to 1000 shells.

Just keep it clean. Most of these guns run into issues when they get dirty.
Down here in Texas they preach Benelli... I picked up an A400 at Cabelas and was very disappointed in it.. felt cheap to me, and the action wasn't very smooth. Benelli's feel up to par with their price
Old 07-22-2020, 04:29 PM
  #124  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Anderson SC
Posts: 4,105
Received 1,238 Likes on 647 Posts
Default

Doesn't Baretta own Benelli?
Old 07-23-2020, 05:07 AM
  #125  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Middle Sound, NC
Posts: 2,008
Likes: 0
Received 324 Likes on 196 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
Doesn't Baretta own Benelli?
yes - or they are both owned by the same parent company
Old 07-23-2020, 05:17 AM
  #126  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Anderson SC
Posts: 4,105
Received 1,238 Likes on 647 Posts
Default

I think Baretta is the parent company... but their might indeed be one over them. They do use different mechanisms I believe. But both can make good guns. Ive an example of each that I like.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:39 AM
  #127  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SWFLA
Posts: 2,484
Received 856 Likes on 431 Posts
Default

Never sell a firearm.................

I learned that lesson in 1993.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:46 AM
  #128  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Anderson SC
Posts: 4,105
Received 1,238 Likes on 647 Posts
Default

I still do sell some.. to friends only. But yes... to an extent I regret it. But its usually something they really really want and talk me into letting them have. So its all good. In most cases they are things I rarely use or have lost interest in.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:12 AM
  #129  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,480
Received 1,050 Likes on 616 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Manoverboard123 View Post
Down here in Texas they preach Benelli... I picked up an A400 at Cabelas and was very disappointed in it.. felt cheap to me, and the action wasn't very smooth. Benelli's feel up to par with their price
Honestly, I don't disagree with you. They definitely feel light and unsubstantial. However, they go bang all the time. The A5 and the SBE feel way more substantial than the A series with Beretta. But I'm sorry, ask any guy which they prefer and it seems its the A series. I really didn't look too much into it but you have to realize that waterfowling is the offroad 4x4 of shotguns. They don't design these guns to be field queens. They're all purpose built. Just because a gun doesn't feel a certain way when you pick it up in the store, doesn't mean that much. From what I can tell, and this is just what I've seen....Benelli's are heavier and seem to be engineered more towards using weight and the inertia system. From what I understand, inertia guns are usually heavier than gas guns. The A series are gas guns. Beretta, from what it seems, is more engineered towards lightweight performance. Just their design. Same goes with their choke systems which is my only gripe with the gun. Take apart a A400 next to a SBE. You'll see completely different internals.

How it fits you when you engage to shoot, that's a fair argument.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:58 AM
  #130  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,349
Received 302 Likes on 204 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HookMeUpII View Post
Honestly, I don't disagree with you. They definitely feel light and unsubstantial. However, they go bang all the time. The A5 and the SBE feel way more substantial than the A series with Beretta. But I'm sorry, ask any guy which they prefer and it seems its the A series. I really didn't look too much into it but you have to realize that waterfowling is the offroad 4x4 of shotguns. They don't design these guns to be field queens. They're all purpose built. Just because a gun doesn't feel a certain way when you pick it up in the store, doesn't mean that much. From what I can tell, and this is just what I've seen....Benelli's are heavier and seem to be engineered more towards using weight and the inertia system. From what I understand, inertia guns are usually heavier than gas guns. The A series are gas guns. Beretta, from what it seems, is more engineered towards lightweight performance. Just their design. Same goes with their choke systems which is my only gripe with the gun. Take apart a A400 next to a SBE. You'll see completely different internals.

How it fits you when you engage to shoot, that's a fair argument.
I thought it was the other way around as far as weight... It would make more sense to me for the inertia gun to be lighter, so that you get more recoil to move the bolt to eject the shell.

my Versamax is heavier than my friends Benelli and Stoeger at least.. which also explains the low recoil in the Versa Max
Old 07-23-2020, 11:02 AM
  #131  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Anderson SC
Posts: 4,105
Received 1,238 Likes on 647 Posts
Default

My Stoeger 3500 came with a weight to install in the stock for even more recoil dampening. It was optional. I installed it.. but it still didn't do enough when shooting that 3 1/2 inch magnum stuff. My solution was to not shoot that dam stuff. How tough can a dam turkey be?
Old 07-23-2020, 11:24 AM
  #132  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,480
Received 1,050 Likes on 616 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Manoverboard123 View Post
I thought it was the other way around as far as weight... It would make more sense to me for the inertia gun to be lighter, so that you get more recoil to move the bolt to eject the shell.

my Versamax is heavier than my friends Benelli and Stoeger at least.. which also explains the low recoil in the Versa Max
I just checked, they're within ounces of each other.

The idea behind the inertia is its a counter balanced weight and spring driven system.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:27 AM
  #133  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 551
Received 523 Likes on 264 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HookMeUpII View Post
Honestly, I don't disagree with you. They definitely feel light and unsubstantial. However, they go bang all the time. The A5 and the SBE feel way more substantial than the A series with Beretta. But I'm sorry, ask any guy which they prefer and it seems its the A series. I really didn't look too much into it but you have to realize that waterfowling is the offroad 4x4 of shotguns. They don't design these guns to be field queens. They're all purpose built. Just because a gun doesn't feel a certain way when you pick it up in the store, doesn't mean that much. From what I can tell, and this is just what I've seen....Benelli's are heavier and seem to be engineered more towards using weight and the inertia system. From what I understand, inertia guns are usually heavier than gas guns. The A series are gas guns. Beretta, from what it seems, is more engineered towards lightweight performance. Just their design. Same goes with their choke systems which is my only gripe with the gun. Take apart a A400 next to a SBE. You'll see completely different internals.

How it fits you when you engage to shoot, that's a fair argument.
gas guns are heavier. That’s why they kick less. They also tend to point like a 2x4.

inertia guns also have no gas in the action which makes them run cleaner. I’m a sbe guy and everyone of my buddies is as well. I have a sbe 1 that has appreciated in value, but I will never sell it.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:31 AM
  #134  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,480
Received 1,050 Likes on 616 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ncmallard78 View Post
gas guns are heavier. That’s why they kick less. They also tend to point like a 2x4.

inertia guns also have no gas in the action which makes them run cleaner. I’m a sbe guy and everyone of my buddies is as well. I have a sbe 1 that has appreciated in value, but I will never sell it.
If I could find a SBE1 I would take it in a day. No part of me will ever buy a used waterfowl gun though. Looks like this will be another season with my A350 Xtrema. Then I'll have to decide if I want to go A400 or not. After everything I've been hearing about the SBE3's, I don't think I'll ever buy.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:38 AM
  #135  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 227
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NCSUboater View Post
Well now I feel like a loser with my 870.

Lol. Now I dont want one.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:55 PM
  #136  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 722
Received 1,036 Likes on 568 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HookMeUpII View Post
If I could find a SBE1 I would take it in a day. No part of me will ever buy a used waterfowl gun though. Looks like this will be another season with my A350 Xtrema. Then I'll have to decide if I want to go A400 or not. After everything I've been hearing about the SBE3's, I don't think I'll ever buy.
This^

Until they change it to a 50/50 or 60/40 pattern I will not even entertain the notion of buying an SBE3. $1800 gun that shoots a foot high at 30 yards??? Gimme a break....
Old 07-23-2020, 06:13 PM
  #137  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 453
Received 451 Likes on 226 Posts
Default

A good friend of mine had one of the original HK imported Black Eagles , before the "Super" version . It had a 21" barrel and we called it the ghetto blaster . He shot the crap out of that thing and hunted 6 days a week .

He got me started waterfowling and was a bit of a local legend . RIP Fish 😔 .
Old 07-23-2020, 06:14 PM
  #138  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,349
Received 302 Likes on 204 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post
This^

Until they change it to a 50/50 or 60/40 pattern I will not even entertain the notion of buying an SBE3. $1800 gun that shoots a foot high at 30 yards??? Gimme a break....
Well I'm going to pattern my new Versa this weekend and see what she does.... I've also heard the same about the SBE3 shooting high!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.