Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Pics of rare cars you spotted in the wild....

Notices

Pics of rare cars you spotted in the wild....

Old 05-12-2020, 07:56 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,029
Received 747 Likes on 430 Posts
Default Pics of rare cars you spotted in the wild....

My son and I are always keeping an eye out for cars you don't see everyday, or perhaps cars that look like everyday cars but are rare optioned. Here is a classic we spotted last weekend. Magnificent specimen that has recently become an endangered specie. Love the period correct side pipe additions.

If you've taken a live picture of a rare bird in the wild, please share. I think this could be a neat thread in a time when we need some fresh topics


Old 05-12-2020, 08:10 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Lusby, MD
Posts: 1,131
Received 331 Likes on 205 Posts
Default


It’s been on the side of the road for a couple of days. I think the rubber band broke.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:15 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,107
Received 9,153 Likes on 4,929 Posts
Default

Does the front yard count?



Or how about the back yard.


Old 05-12-2020, 08:18 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Central AL
Posts: 2,424
Likes: 0
Received 448 Likes on 261 Posts
Default

Man, that GTO is still, after all these years....SWEET! May be the best looking car ever.....
Old 05-12-2020, 08:26 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,107
Received 9,153 Likes on 4,929 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Fatherof4 View Post
Man, that GTO is still, after all these years....SWEET! May be the best looking car ever.....
While GTO's aren't all that rare, that one is a one off color scheme. 42,xxx original miles, and one respray and one top replacement. Green top, green car, green interior. Still has the crayon marks from the assembly line on the firewall, and the original license plate from 1967. Ordered new through the local Pontiac dealer. My mom's brother owns it, and has since the early 70's. My dad's brothers FIL bought it new. Been located within 2 miles of the selling dealer it's entire life. Does have one slight mod done to it...big brakes...and 18" factory styles wheels. Stock brakes were sketchy.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:26 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,029
Received 747 Likes on 430 Posts
Default

Off to a great start! Here's one I snapped while we were in Ireland. Extraordinary for us to see and guessing not an everyday there either. Old cars don't seem to hang about over there.



Old 05-12-2020, 08:28 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,107
Received 9,153 Likes on 4,929 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1blueheron View Post
Off to a great start! Here's one I snapped while we were in Ireland. Extraordinary for us to see and guessing not an everyday there either. Old cars don't seem to hang about over there.

It's a wonder any still remain. Electrical system on them make me cringe. Positive ground and lucas electric all wrapped in one poorly insulated package.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:28 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,029
Received 747 Likes on 430 Posts
Default

deleted double post

Last edited by 1blueheron; 05-12-2020 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:30 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 3,380
Received 3,829 Likes on 1,708 Posts
Default

I sadly found out the rarity of this car after I sold it. It's a 2008 SL55 AMG with option P30. I had always thought the P30 option was in about 10% of these cars, so somewhere between 50 and 70 manufactured.
About 2 years after selling it I was contacted by someone wanting the VIN of the car, as he was compiling a list. He had determined that MB had made less than 30 vehicles with that option and best he could tell there were no more than 15 in the US and mine was the only one in Capri Blue.



Old 05-12-2020, 09:08 AM
  #10  
V13
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Saint Petersburg
Posts: 2,034
Received 212 Likes on 102 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
It's a wonder any still remain. Electrical system on them make me cringe. Positive ground and lucas electric all wrapped in one poorly insulated package.
  • The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
  • Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.
  • Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
  • Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
  • The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.
  • The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics.
  • >Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices
Lots more: Lucas - Prince of Darkness - Lucas Electrical Humor Jokes

t. Proud (former) owner of late '60's Triumph 650 Tiger.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:19 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,107
Received 9,153 Likes on 4,929 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by V13 View Post
  • The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
  • Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.
  • Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
  • Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
  • The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.
  • The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics.
  • >Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices
Lots more: Lucas - Prince of Darkness - Lucas Electrical Humor Jokes

t. Proud (former) owner of late '60's Triumph 650 Tiger.
Here is a shining example of Lucas engineering genius. This is a negative ground configuration of what would be on that MG. Tiny conductors, all subject to vibration. The little screws are what hold the brushes in place. They are literally wood screws. Most horribly built POS I have ever messed with. Fortunately an off the shelf Delco or Denso will go back in his place. For some crazy reason, many of the "purist" would rather have a ticking time bomb than deviate from stock.




Old 05-12-2020, 09:22 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Claim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mt. Pleasant, SC
Posts: 1,067
Received 1,080 Likes on 475 Posts
Default








Last time I drove by, the place had been cleared, old barns and all.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:30 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
triumphrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Masaryktown, Fl
Posts: 18,660
Received 4,573 Likes on 2,003 Posts
Default

Some of you have followed my thread on the restoration of my 1960 TR3A...

I have tried to Lucas proof it by soldering all the small bullet connectors that push into the headlamp, tail lamp and turn signal connectors. The wires pass thru the connector and over the bullet. All that holds the connection is the strength of the receptacle it pushes into, which will open over time.

Also, I no longer have a generator or voltage regulator, all replaced with an alternator and built in regulator.

I still wont ever find a way to completely seal the motor....there will always be a few drips, just the way they were machined back in the day...

As my friend Billinstewart says, it's just marking it's spot...
Old 05-12-2020, 09:42 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: buzzards bay,ma.
Posts: 3,980
Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by triumphrick View Post
Some of you have followed my thread on the restoration of my 1960 TR3A...

I have tried to Lucas proof it by soldering all the small bullet connectors that push into the headlamp, tail lamp and turn signal connectors. The wires pass thru the connector and over the bullet. All that holds the connection is the strength of the receptacle it pushes into, which will open over time.

Also, I no longer have a generator or voltage regulator, all replaced with an alternator and built in regulator.

I still wont ever find a way to completely seal the motor....there will always be a few drips, just the way they were machined back in the day...

As my friend Billinstewart says, it's just marking it's spot...

If I remember correctly, doesn’t that engine have an external oil line to feed the valve train? What could possibly go wrong with that slice of engineering genius? Lol

Why don’t the Brits build computers? They can’t find a way to make them leak oil. I use that one all the time on some Norton/BSA enthusiast friends.

I’ll be here all week
Old 05-12-2020, 09:47 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 336
Received 401 Likes on 203 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by triumphrick View Post
I still wont ever find a way to completely seal the motor....there will always be a few drips, just the way they were machined back in the day...
Those are engineered leaks. It's a continuous chassis corrosion inhibitor drip applicator.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:49 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 111
Likes: 0
Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts
Default


was my entry in an all British car show...
Old 05-12-2020, 09:50 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 111
Likes: 0
Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts
Default


Old 05-12-2020, 10:03 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: greenville s.c.
Posts: 1,616
Received 480 Likes on 270 Posts
Default

Spotted this guy at the gas station the other day . Not crazy rare but cool none the less


Old 05-12-2020, 10:34 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,712
Received 494 Likes on 334 Posts
Default

I have no idea what this is that passed me on the freeway.




Old 05-12-2020, 10:45 AM
  #20  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Fairhope, AL
Posts: 36
Likes: 0
Received 175 Likes on 81 Posts
Default

I think that the Plymouth will buff right out.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.