Notices

returning tools

Old 02-26-2020, 12:20 PM
  #41  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 16,195
Received 2,472 Likes on 1,781 Posts
Default

many times im at home depot, west marine, etc, and unsure of what i need, i buy all the options. i keep the one that works and return the rest. i never have thought to return the one that worked, that would leave a sour taste in my mouth
Old 02-26-2020, 12:22 PM
  #42  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tampa Bay Area of Florida
Posts: 5,266
Received 585 Likes on 367 Posts
Default

If you use it and return it, you're asking for something else to break soon after that will require that exact same tool.....
Old 02-26-2020, 12:31 PM
  #43  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southeastern US
Posts: 683
Likes: 0
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Default

Sort of like my neighbor. He would borrow my tools and I’d have to go knock on his door to get them back when I needed them. Happened several times. I sent my then teenage son next door to get my tin shears for his science project. He said the neighbor told him”I want that returned by the end of the day”. After I heard that I immediately walked over and told him that I was missing various tools and I went through his tool box and work bench. Needless to say I had an arm load of my damn tools when I left. He wouldn’t speak after that. No loss.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:33 PM
  #44  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: fl
Posts: 129
Received 327 Likes on 208 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fijon View Post
I don't need much of an excuse to own a new tool.
True (like)

I'm way to lazy to return a $6 tool. Hell, I lose out on rebates if they take any amount of effort.

I did get it up and running for under $70 (maybe 75 if you add 6 trips to HD/Lowes ). It's $100 just to have a plumber show up. Then over charge you for the parts. Plus I love learning and figuring out how to do stuff so win/win.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:43 PM
  #45  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Lusby, MD
Posts: 1,124
Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts
Default

And elsewhere we have a thread complaining about Lowes return policy being too tough. I wonder why?
Old 02-26-2020, 12:52 PM
  #46  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 3,319
Received 3,792 Likes on 1,691 Posts
Default

If you need it once, borrow it. The second time you need it, buy it.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:06 PM
  #47  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 6,763
Received 1,931 Likes on 1,071 Posts
Default

Returning used stuff for a refund can cause drama for the next purchaser, as a real life example, I recently purchased a chain for my electric chainsaw, I went to a big hardware chain store because they were close and it was Sunday ( my local family owned store is closed) found the chain I wanted, went to the checkout, paid and went to my car. As I sat in my car I noticed the packaging had been neatly opened and resealed, and I closely inspected the chain, it was clearly old, but cleaned up to look "nice" I walked back into the store with my receipt and went to the returns desk and showed them the receipt and the new/old chain, the young girl behind the desk just kind of said like she didn't care "this happens all the time, people buy stuff, keep the new one, package the old one and get a refund" I said what would have happened if I didn't find out until I got home, she said they would still give me another chain or a refund, how does that make good business sense? surely tighter returns policy should be in place.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:08 PM
  #48  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,226
Received 679 Likes on 308 Posts
Default

Douche move to do that. I've got quite a collection of tools that have been only used once.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:23 PM
  #49  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 5,044
Likes: 0
Received 383 Likes on 217 Posts
Default

If you need a tool and don't own it, you're not a tool guy. Most auto part and hardware stores will loan you the tools just to sell you the widget.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:34 PM
  #50  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location:
Posts: 960
Likes: 0
Received 274 Likes on 126 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 74lbSteve View Post
My favorite is seeing generators returned after the hurricane threat passes.....
Now that is fine if you don’t use it and are within the stores return policy.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:38 PM
  #51  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: VA
Posts: 517
Received 313 Likes on 224 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by noelm View Post
Returning used stuff for a refund can cause drama for the next purchaser, as a real life example, I recently purchased a chain for my electric chainsaw, I went to a big hardware chain store because they were close and it was Sunday ( my local family owned store is closed) found the chain I wanted, went to the checkout, paid and went to my car. As I sat in my car I noticed the packaging had been neatly opened and resealed, and I closely inspected the chain, it was clearly old, but cleaned up to look "nice" I walked back into the store with my receipt and went to the returns desk and showed them the receipt and the new/old chain, the young girl behind the desk just kind of said like she didn't care "this happens all the time, people buy stuff, keep the new one, package the old one and get a refund" I said what would have happened if I didn't find out until I got home, she said they would still give me another chain or a refund, how does that make good business sense? surely tighter returns policy should be in place.
I was in lowes getting a chain and found a pa k with a used chain in it. Not the size for my saw. I made certain my packs were good after that. I just can't imagine people doing such though I know it is common.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:43 PM
  #52  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southeastern US
Posts: 683
Likes: 0
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Default

I tell my kids that for Christmas just pick me up a pack of Gulp baits or a nice screwdriver. You can never have too much fishing gear or too many tools. I have a separate tool chest full of specialty tools or tools that I purchased for what may be just for use once. Like someone said earlier it’s still cheaper than paying someone else to do the job. Plus I like tools.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:34 PM
  #53  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location:
Posts: 960
Likes: 0
Received 274 Likes on 126 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Finsinchessy View Post
I was in lowes getting a chain and found a pa k with a used chain in it. Not the size for my saw. I made certain my packs were good after that. I just can't imagine people doing such though I know it is common.

See that kind of BS is on the store. They should not accept returns of clearly used stuff unless defective. And then it should not get restocked. Some stores now have become so anti-confrontation that they basically knowingly allow customers to walk all over them just in order to not offend anyone.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:43 PM
  #54  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Suffolk, Va.
Posts: 17,635
Likes: 0
Received 2,097 Likes on 1,066 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by noelm View Post
Returning used stuff for a refund can cause drama for the next purchaser, as a real life example, I recently purchased a chain for my electric chainsaw, I went to a big hardware chain store because they were close and it was Sunday ( my local family owned store is closed) found the chain I wanted, went to the checkout, paid and went to my car. As I sat in my car I noticed the packaging had been neatly opened and resealed, and I closely inspected the chain, it was clearly old, but cleaned up to look "nice" I walked back into the store with my receipt and went to the returns desk and showed them the receipt and the new/old chain, the young girl behind the desk just kind of said like she didn't care "this happens all the time, people buy stuff, keep the new one, package the old one and get a refund" I said what would have happened if I didn't find out until I got home, she said they would still give me another chain or a refund, how does that make good business sense? surely tighter returns policy should be in place.
You have two issues here. First, the person who took the return did not inspect the packaging and allowed the person to return a used item. Then you have yourself that returned the item because it was used. How are they going to know which one of you are telling the truth if they refused both returns
Old 02-26-2020, 03:25 PM
  #55  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: VA
Posts: 517
Received 313 Likes on 224 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bone-a-fide View Post
See that kind of BS is on the store. They should not accept returns of clearly used stuff unless defective. And then it should not get restocked. Some stores now have become so anti-confrontation that they basically knowingly allow customers to walk all over them just in order to not offend anyone.
Yes you are right.

Bad part is that in that case Lowes is one hour away. So if I got a bad item home it's two more hours to get the item returned. That would have me a bit red in face, because like you. I believe its ultimately the stores fault. If they are going to have a lenient return policy they should also be good with milage and time for honest people's being robbed of their time righting their wrong.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:31 PM
  #56  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Va beach, va.
Posts: 747
Likes: 0
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bone-a-fide View Post
Now that is fine if you don’t use it and are within the stores return policy.
i Like that
Old 02-26-2020, 03:37 PM
  #57  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Coast of America
Posts: 7,280
Received 204 Likes on 103 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Garett View Post
Buy both, return the one that wasn't suitable.
I look at the cost of that tool that quite possibly only ever get used once or twice in my life as a hell of a lot cheaper then hiring the man to do the job for me....and I end up with another tool in my collection.
You nailed it.

Like
Old 02-26-2020, 04:05 PM
  #58  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Nashville, NC
Posts: 949
Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by xlr8ngn View Post
Very common at local auto parts store. They rent by charging you for the tool, refund you when it is returned.
They want the sell of the part that takes the special tool to remove.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:49 PM
  #59  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 6,763
Received 1,931 Likes on 1,071 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fishingfun View Post
You have two issues here. First, the person who took the return did not inspect the packaging and allowed the person to return a used item. Then you have yourself that returned the item because it was used. How are they going to know which one of you are telling the truth if they refused both returns
yep, I can see that, but, I can sleep at night knowing I wasn't being a fraudster, whether they might have suspected me of doing wrong matters little to me, I did the right thing.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:24 PM
  #60  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,074
Received 1,219 Likes on 678 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bone-a-fide View Post
Now that is fine if you don’t use it and are within the stores return policy.
Unethical in my book.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.