Notices

What is a sandwich?

Old 02-14-2020, 10:01 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jupiter
Posts: 883
Likes: 0
Received 291 Likes on 125 Posts
Default What is a sandwich?

Assume I'm someone who has no idea what a sandwich is. Tell me, what is a sandwich?
Old 02-14-2020, 10:03 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,194
Received 953 Likes on 398 Posts
Default

It's sammich.

PS. This thread should be a good one!
Old 02-14-2020, 10:06 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 931
Received 782 Likes on 343 Posts
Default

Any food you want between two pieces of bread.

What do I win?
Old 02-14-2020, 10:07 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 135
Received 207 Likes on 99 Posts
Default

Could you be more specific?
Old 02-14-2020, 10:08 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 279
Likes: 0
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cronced View Post
Assume I'm someone who has no idea what a sand-witch is. Tell me, what is a sand-witch?
It that what you meant to ask? or did you mean sammich?
Old 02-14-2020, 10:08 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New York, Greatest State in the Union
Posts: 1,157
Likes: 0
Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts
Default

It's the thing your dishwasher makes for lunch...
Old 02-14-2020, 10:09 AM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mooney6959 View Post
Any food you want between two pieces of bread.

What do I win?
A hot dog would be a sandwich according to that definition. This is where I think it gets murky.

Last edited by SaintPeteRob; 02-14-2020 at 10:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-14-2020, 10:12 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location:
Posts: 460
Likes: 0
Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

A sandwich is a food typically consisting of vegetables, sliced cheese or meat, placed on or between slices of bread, or more generally any dish wherein bread serves as a container or wrapper for another food type.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:13 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jupiter
Posts: 883
Likes: 0
Received 291 Likes on 125 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mooney6959 View Post
Any food you want between two pieces of bread.

What do I win?
Is a burger a sandwich?
Old 02-14-2020, 10:17 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 304
Received 1,363 Likes on 655 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tcontic View Post
It's the thing your dishwasher makes for lunch...
No reason to go any further.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:18 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Todd, NC
Posts: 1,091
Received 661 Likes on 349 Posts
Default

those are buns

all buns are bread but not all bread are buns

erring on the side of not a sandwich until we can define sandwich bread better
Old 02-14-2020, 10:20 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jupiter
Posts: 883
Likes: 0
Received 291 Likes on 125 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tcontic View Post
It's the thing your dishwasher makes for lunch...
Back in the day "loading the dishwasher" meant buying mom a box of wine.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:22 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 931
Received 782 Likes on 343 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cronced View Post
Is a burger a sandwich?
Technically, yes. And so is a hot dog.

Corn dog... no.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:22 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
WaterEnjoyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 12,172
Likes: 0
Received 1,367 Likes on 648 Posts
Default

why is a hotdog not a sandwich but a sausage sandwich is a sandwich?
Old 02-14-2020, 10:24 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jupiter
Posts: 883
Likes: 0
Received 291 Likes on 125 Posts
Default

Does folding a slice of pizza make it a sandwich?
Old 02-14-2020, 10:30 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 304
Received 1,363 Likes on 655 Posts
Default

How about a taco?
Old 02-14-2020, 10:44 AM
  #17  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by porcha View Post
those are buns

all buns are bread but not all bread are buns

erring on the side of not a sandwich until we can define sandwich bread better
I put a pulled pork sandwich on a bun.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:46 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jupiter
Posts: 883
Likes: 0
Received 291 Likes on 125 Posts
Default

Some peanut butter between 2 crackers... sandwich?
Old 02-14-2020, 10:46 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Suffolk, Va.
Posts: 17,450
Likes: 0
Received 1,997 Likes on 1,018 Posts
Default

Its what your wife makes me when I'm over her house.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:54 AM
  #20  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Maybe a sandwich is a way to describe the style of food when it's traditionally prepared another way. So, a hot dog is traditionally in a bun anyway (or a taco in a shell/tortilla), so there is no need to order a hot dog sandwich - everyone knows what you mean when you say hot dog. Since turkey, however, can be prepared and served in so many different ways, you have to specify sandwich when communicating.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.