Notices

Stuart FL To Racine WI

Old 02-10-2020, 05:42 AM
  #21  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Halfmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 3,540
Received 493 Likes on 182 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by airbrush View Post
Liberty Landing Marina on the NJ side across from Manhattan. Good dockage and services. Quick ferry ride to Battery Park in lower Manhattan.


Great stop, we stayed there on our run up to Wellesley Island on the St Lawrence River.




Old 03-31-2020, 01:38 PM
  #22  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: On The Tenna Sea
Posts: 13,583
Received 971 Likes on 489 Posts
Default

Well, we're getting close to the 30 day mark before we head up the east coast. So far, it looks like we will still be able to get the fuel we need, but there is an extremely good chance that we won't be able to get off the boat when we're in a transient slip. I can definitely live with that, although I will readily admit I was looking forward to hitting some good restaurants.

Biggest obstacle at this point is the Welland Canal being closed to pleasure craft until further notice. I initially thought this restriction would be lifted by May 15, but now it looks iffy at best. We won't be there until June 1 or thereabouts. I guess I'll be contacting those folks within the next week or so to see if we might be able to fall outside that restriction since this is a paid delivery of a yacht vs just a joy ride. Maybe that will be viewed as a commercial endeavor, which it actually is. We definitely would do nothing more than transit the canal and not make port until we are in US waters.

If that doesn't work, we will run up the river system and hope for the best. Spring flooding is the biggest unknown there, then we the scheduled closing of the Illinois River beginning July 1... maybe. That too seems to be questionable due to this pandemic, so that could easily be delayed. That would actually play in our favor, especially if we get held up in Kentucky due to flooding on the Mississippi River. I have little doubt we would have any issues making it to that point.

No doubt these are some crazy times, especially when it comes to planning such a trip on a boat. There is a very good chance I won't be driving or flying back home as it may work out that I'll jump off this one and bring another one back down the river to Kentucky where I can drive home or have someone retrieve me.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:59 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,417
Received 304 Likes on 241 Posts
Default

If you choose to go thru New York, there are a bunch of diaries from the Great Loopers online. Nobody shares information better than them.

You know that you're okay as far as Paducah and the Ohio River system, as the Tennessee Tombigbee and Tennessee River are open to traffic going north.

And you can always do a one way car rental and drive home all the way.

My father was delivering a 42" cruiser from Nashville to Knoxville, and they were going to swap boats at Lake Guntersville--53' Hatteras. They got into the Lake Barkley canal where they could hear the props crunching the bottom due to low water. He was almost glad that cruiser had one of it's 454 Chevy motors blow up as he was getting tired of chipping ice off the windshield.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:31 AM
  #24  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bloomington, IL & Manasota Key, FL
Posts: 72
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

If you're thinking running this backwards...up the TennTom and Miss/Ill Rivers...I was just across the Illinois River in Peoria on Tuesday and it has to be close to flood already. The lock just under the I-474 bring was almost covered in water. No sign of the dam.

Sidney
Old 04-02-2020, 08:11 AM
  #25  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: St. Paul Minnesota
Posts: 399
Likes: 0
Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

We are at low flood stage here in St. Paul, MN with the crest peaking next Wednesday. I would imagine that the bubble would take 30 days to make it's way down there. Looks like the water is high all the way down the Mississippi. Good luck and stay safe. We made the trip up from the Illinois during spring flood and there is a lot of stuff floating down to keep an eye out for. The good thing is that the locks are generally drive in, close doors, drive out.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:58 AM
  #26  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: On The Tenna Sea
Posts: 13,583
Received 971 Likes on 489 Posts
Default

We've pretty much ruled out the river route and are looking at plans B and C. We just can't risk being trapped. Plan B is to run up the east coast to New Baltimore, NY where we will have secured long term dockage for as long as it takes for The Welland to open to pleasure craft. Still waiting to hear from the owner as to whether or not that has been accomplished.

Plan C would be to run up the Tenn-Tom to Demopolis, AL which would satisfy his insurance company where hurricane protection is concerned. This is a new purchase, and the whole reason for this trip is to get the boat back home, get away from high priced marinas, and get away from HUGE increases in insurance if the boat remains in a hurricane zone. Those are the only reasons we aren't looking at delaying this trip until things settle down. Even with that, we realize this whole thing could go to hell any minute if there is a federal SIP ordered. We've spent quite a bit of time together, but I don't think any of us want to be forced to live together on that boat for an unspecified period of time.

Stay tuned... this could get interesting.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:13 AM
  #27  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: On The Tenna Sea
Posts: 13,583
Received 971 Likes on 489 Posts
Default

Just an update. Given the canal situation, both Erie and Welland are still up in the air, we're heading to Racine via the river system unless something changes before we depart Stuart on May 3. We moved things up a bit to give us more time to deal with potential flooding issues on the Mississippi. Unless something changes with Okeechobee, we're going to have to go south through the Keys and then north as there isn't enough water in the lake right now to cross. Hopefully marinas will be opened back up to transients by then, otherwise we'll be not so happy hookers.

What was originally going to be a nice, sightseeing pleasure cruise/delivery has turned into a mission against the clock. Sure was looking forward to running that northern route through the canals, though. Maybe it'll still happen, but it doesn't look good.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:24 AM
  #28  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGERPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Struggleville
Posts: 7,546
Likes: 0
Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Good luck bird, just redneck intuation and go for it. Bet you do fine.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:32 AM
  #29  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: On The Tenna Sea
Posts: 13,583
Received 971 Likes on 489 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bugbuster View Post
Good luck bird, just redneck intuation and go for it. Bet you do fine.
Thanks, Bug. The only real concern I have with the river route is flooding on the Mississippi like I was faced with last year in trying to get a boat to Chicago from Grand Rivers, KY. The river was closed, and the lock at Alton was not operational. Luckily that boat was narrow enough to transport over land after removing the bridge. It cost the owner a ton of money, but he had to have it in Chicago. No such option on this Hatt, so it'll have to spend the winter in Kentucky if history repeats itself. Already have a slip lined up for it if that becomes the case, but I'm hoping we can just get it home and be done. We just have to clear the Illinois River before it closes on July 1.

Last edited by Freeebird; 04-21-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:57 AM
  #30  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: On The Tenna Sea
Posts: 13,583
Received 971 Likes on 489 Posts
Default

Spent the night anchored off Elliott Key last night and am about three hours away from Marathon. Beautiful weather and calm, following seas. Planning to anchor somewhere off Cape Sable this evening.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.