Notices

American Factory on Netflix...

Old 01-19-2020, 04:37 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 17,575
Received 2,701 Likes on 1,452 Posts
Default American Factory on Netflix...

Anyone watch it. It really shows the work ethic differences.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:42 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,613
Received 5,837 Likes on 2,740 Posts
Default

I literally watched it last night and was talking about it this morning meeting some buddies for breakfast.

The work ethic is no joke. On one hand I always think that we are Americans and we are tough and problem solvers and no one can match it...but let's be honest, Asia is kicking our asses on all fronts anymore. To hear what they think of American workers sucks, and kind of paints the whole picture.

Big difference between a UAW worker making $29 an hour and the expectations of the Chinese company. I love that the Chairman said if they unionized he would shut it down.

You want to unionize? Fine, well replace your job with a robot.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:17 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 17,575
Received 2,701 Likes on 1,452 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NCSUboater View Post
I literally watched it last night and was talking about it this morning meeting some buddies for breakfast.

The work ethic is no joke. On one hand I always think that we are Americans and we are tough and problem solvers and no one can match it...but let's be honest, Asia is kicking our asses on all fronts anymore. To hear what they think of American workers sucks, and kind of paints the whole picture.

Big difference between a UAW worker making $29 an hour and the expectations of the Chinese company. I love that the Chairman said if they unionized he would shut it down.

You want to unionize? Fine, well replace your job with a robot.

I thought it was extremely well done and I'm surprised that Netflix bought it.

I know, especially on THT, that you have to tow the "we're the best" routine... but in reality, Americans are some the laziest people on Earth. While it kills me to say this, I'll admit that it does provide a lot of opportunity for those willing to work. The problem is the bigger picture.

Without seeing this go down below... sooner or later the lazy are going to want to feed on the rest of us. It's a real concern.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:32 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: MA
Posts: 3,265
Received 219 Likes on 99 Posts
Default

Produced by Barack and Michelle Obama- any good?
Old 01-19-2020, 05:35 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,613
Received 5,837 Likes on 2,740 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tuna Colada View Post
Produced by Barack and Michelle Obama- any good?
Wasn't produced by them, just their production company. And yes, very good.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:22 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dryden/Ludington, MI - Steamboat, CO
Posts: 1,642
Received 444 Likes on 253 Posts
Default

Where you'd prefer the glass in your wife's car be produced, the plant in Ohio or from China? Which one appeared to be of a better quality?
Old 01-19-2020, 06:33 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas/Key Largo
Posts: 484
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Salmonbum View Post
Where you'd prefer the glass in your wife's car be produced, the plant in Ohio or from China? Which one appeared to be of a better quality?
Replaced the windshield in my 2017 F150 with Chinese. Same quality and half the price.

Spoke to half a dozen installers and 4 of them admitted they were identical quality and one said "you get what you pay for"...BS.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:38 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,613
Received 5,837 Likes on 2,740 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Salmonbum View Post
Where you'd prefer the glass in your wife's car be produced, the plant in Ohio or from China? Which one appeared to be of a better quality?
China all the way.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:41 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,560
Received 2,918 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Default

Manufacturing in America is dying a slow death between organized labor, environmental regulations, safety regulations and politics. Our economy has almost complete shifted to IP and services and those who do not hop on that train are going to be left behind.

As for China, they will continue to dominate manufacturing until their people become more educated and aware of what their government is doing to their own people. When that happens I foresee a global manufacturing chrisis.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:57 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dryden/Ludington, MI - Steamboat, CO
Posts: 1,642
Received 444 Likes on 253 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Lorne Greene View Post
Manufacturing in America is dying a slow death between organized labor, environmental regulations, safety regulations and politics. Our economy has almost complete shifted to IP and services and those who do not hop on that train are going to be left behind.
I hate to say it but as mentioned, the lower class workforce that would take these types of jobs are lazy. I see this all the time at the assembly plants I visit. It truly sad.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:05 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,613
Received 5,837 Likes on 2,740 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Salmonbum View Post
I hate to say it but as mentioned, the lower class workforce that would take these types of jobs are lazy. I see this all the time at the assembly plants I visit. It truly sad.
No doubt, and me too. Can't tell you how much turnover I see just from folks either simply not coming to work anymore, or not even bothering to show up for their first day.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:31 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Margaritaville, USA -- 0
Posts: 1,326
Likes: 0
Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts
Default

I just had a 6 figure pool installed, if it wasn't for the Mexican work force I would have no pool. The work force was 99 percent Mexican, 1 percent caucasian, 0 percent other!!!
Old 01-19-2020, 07:43 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,200
Received 953 Likes on 398 Posts
Default

Watching it right now after seeing this thread.

I will have back up to get what the China Union rep said but, I’m pretty sure He said the China plant wouldn’t be profitable if not for government support.

edit: “Without backing from the government the company wouldn’t get too far”. Well there you have it,
Old 01-19-2020, 07:54 PM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,391
Likes: 0
Received 1,095 Likes on 611 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Lorne Greene View Post
Manufacturing in America is dying a slow death between organized labor, environmental regulations, safety regulations and politics. Our economy has almost complete shifted to IP and services and those who do not hop on that train are going to be left behind.

As for China, they will continue to dominate manufacturing until their people become more educated and aware of what their government is doing to their own people. When that happens I foresee a global manufacturing chrisis.
I don't believe what I high lighted in bold the first time for a moment. Our environmental regulations are far more strictly regulated and enforce than yours and our safety regulation and politics are far more than yours as well and yet we survive.

I have always said it and will continue to say it, America's problem is they think everything they do is the best in the world and no in the world can do it better then they can. Like it or not, that is the problem. With the mindset of "we are the best" there is no reason, need or belief to be better or being told you could do better. Hate me for saying it but I am only telling you why so many countries and people around the world hate United States.

What I've highlighted secondly, I disagree with also.. What the Chinese government is doing to their people is one thing, that has nothing to do with workmanship and the quality of the products made.. The American people have pride in their flag and their country, but your work force has a piss poor work ethic and has for at least 40 years that I know of. I might not like the price tag of a Canadian made product but I do know that is twice the quality of an American made product of the same and leagues better then an offshore company from the middle east.

I'm glad the film is made and shown....it's time to look in the mirror to see what is really going on.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:57 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,391
Likes: 0
Received 1,095 Likes on 611 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ifishalot View Post
Watching it right now after seeing this thread.

I will have back up to get what the China Union rep said but, I’m pretty sure He said the China plant wouldn’t be profitable if not for government support.

edit: “Without backing from the government the company wouldn’t get too far”. Well there you have it,
Could you please expand and explain what you mean, "well there you have it".
Old 01-19-2020, 08:01 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 0
Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CORALREEFER View Post
I juust had a 6 figure pool installed, if it wasn't for the Mexican work force I would have no pool. The work force was 99 percent Mexican, 1 percent caucasian, 0 percent other!!!
Take your humblebrag and shove it up your ass

get some health insurance you leach
Old 01-19-2020, 08:05 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,613
Received 5,837 Likes on 2,740 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Garett View Post
I don't believe what I high lighted in bold the first time for a moment. Our environmental regulations are far more strictly regulated and enforce than yours and our safety regulation and politics are far more than yours as well and yet we survive.

I have always said it and will continue to say it, America's problem is they think everything they do is the best in the world and no in the world can do it better then they can. Like it or not, that is the problem. With the mindset of "we are the best" there is no reason, need or belief to be better or being told you could do better. Hate me for saying it but I am only telling you why so many countries and people around the world hate United States.

What I've highlighted secondly, I disagree with also.. What the Chinese government is doing to their people is one thing, that has nothing to do with workmanship and the quality of the products made.. The American people have pride in their flag and their country, but your work force has a piss poor work ethic and has for at least 40 years that I know of. I might not like the price tag of a Canadian made product but I do know that is twice the quality of an American made product of the same and leagues better then an offshore company from the middle east.

I'm glad the film is made and shown....it's time to look in the mirror to see what is really going on.
Name:  FB_IMG_1569341147080__01.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  89.1 KB

We're even better at hockey! Since 1993.

I don't even know but a handful of items Canada actually makes. No doubt alot are high quality, but 2x? Come on. America's problem is being a lazy SOB is rewarded, and I'm not just talking about entitlements. Just look at the mindset in that factory...
Old 01-19-2020, 08:15 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,811
Received 609 Likes on 379 Posts
Default

The quality coming out of China leaves something to be desired. While US workers may be lazier...I trust that they aren't putting melamine in pet food, or that the bolt won't snap because the Chinese cut corners. But they worked a bit harder.

Also, what I dont get is, people always bitch about what some one else makes...let us know what you do and let's criticize if your worth what you make.


Old 01-19-2020, 08:18 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,811
Received 609 Likes on 379 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Garett View Post
I don't believe what I high lighted in bold the first time for a moment. Our environmental regulations are far more strictly regulated and enforce than yours and our safety regulation and politics are far more than yours as well and yet we survive.

I have always said it and will continue to say it, America's problem is they think everything they do is the best in the world and no in the world can do it better then they can. Like it or not, that is the problem. With the mindset of "we are the best" there is no reason, need or belief to be better or being told you could do better. Hate me for saying it but I am only telling you why so many countries and people around the world hate United States.

What I've highlighted secondly, I disagree with also.. What the Chinese government is doing to their people is one thing, that has nothing to do with workmanship and the quality of the products made.. The American people have pride in their flag and their country, but your work force has a piss poor work ethic and has for at least 40 years that I know of. I might not like the price tag of a Canadian made product but I do know that is twice the quality of an American made product of the same and leagues better then an offshore company from the middle east.

I'm glad the film is made and shown....it's time to look in the mirror to see what is really going on.
The Canadians have oil sands...thats about it.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:21 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,391
Likes: 0
Received 1,095 Likes on 611 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NCSUboater View Post
Attachment 1109779

We're even better at hockey! Since 1993.

I don't even know but a handful of items Canada actually makes. No doubt alot are high quality, but 2x? Come on. America's problem is being a lazy SOB is rewarded, and I'm not just talking about entitlements. Just look at the mindset in that factory...

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.