Notices

After surgery wardrobe?

Old 12-28-2019, 09:00 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 0
Received 328 Likes on 173 Posts
Default After surgery wardrobe?

I am just over 18 hours post rotator cuff and biceps tendon surgery. Surfing the norco wave and riding the ice machine. Fingers starting to move so I guess the nerve block is wearing off. Got most stuff figured out, but still need to sort out what to do for shirts.

Any suggestions for the next 6 weeks of winter season fashion?
Old 12-28-2019, 09:11 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 586
Likes: 0
Received 711 Likes on 439 Posts
Default

do you have anyone to help you get dressed?
if not or maybe even if you do, just wear your regular button up shirts with only your good arm thru the sleeve and the bad arm strapped to you chest and the shirt over it.
you could fold up the sleeve and pin it so it is not flapping in the breeze
Old 12-28-2019, 09:13 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 720
Likes: 0
Received 373 Likes on 224 Posts
Default

Following. Probably me next year.
Post updates.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:14 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lewes, DE
Posts: 10,742
Received 2,891 Likes on 1,531 Posts
Default

For what occasion? Work, casual, hunting, in home? In what position can you most conveniently hold your arm to get dressed?


Old 12-28-2019, 09:20 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 586
Likes: 0
Received 711 Likes on 439 Posts
Default

at just 18 hours I am sure the Dr does not want the arm to be moving.
I think the arm is normally strapped down to the chest for some time after that surgery
Old 12-28-2019, 09:31 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 2,238
Received 1,531 Likes on 676 Posts
Default

I did your surgery (bicep tenodesis) about 13 years ago. You'll be in that wedge for 8 weeks. You've already been told that you cannot straighten your arm out for any reason, otherwise the tendon will pull out of the secured hole and it will NEVER be able to get fixed. So, onto wardrobe...

Warm or cold climate? Alone, or have help? Get shirts that are a V-neck and oversized. Sweatshirts are great. Button down the front are best if you have someone around to help.

KEEP AHEAD OF THE PAIN. Take the Norco as prescribed. Don't take them like Skittles and you'll be fine. For the first few days, don't wait for the pain to take the Norco. Ice is indeed your friend. Get plenty of packs of frozen peas (~ 10 packs). Double bag them in ziploc bags so they don't break on you. Find a comfortable recliner where you can fall asleep for a couple hours at a time. It will be VERY difficult to get a good, full night's sleep, so you'll be catching little power naps as they come along Ask your doctor for Zolpidem (Ambien). Watch the booze with Norco and Zolpidem.

Ask any questions along the way. A lot of people here have been through it.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:06 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: se Florida
Posts: 858
Likes: 0
Received 2,432 Likes on 977 Posts
Default

i was able to slip on cotton t-shirt. Bad arm thru the sleeve then bring it up and over your head. You will be able to do it yourself after a little practice. You need to get some air to the armpit to avoid a rash from the sweat and the t-shirt will help absorb it and keep you dryer.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:25 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 669
Received 389 Likes on 199 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 99yam40 View Post
do you have anyone to help you get dressed?
if not or maybe even if you do, just wear your regular button up shirts with only your good arm thru the sleeve and the bad arm strapped to you chest and the shirt over it.
you could fold up the sleeve and pin it so it is not flapping in the breeze
I had rotator cuff surgery 5 days ago myself and this is exactly what I'm doing.
For my ice machine we used 4 frozen bottles of water. Kept 4 in the freezer ready to replace them.
I began taking oxycodone every 4 hrs once the nerve block wore off and quit taking them at all after 4 days. I have had almost zero pain.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:59 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 720
Likes: 0
Received 373 Likes on 224 Posts
Default

What machine did you buy
Old 12-28-2019, 03:08 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 669
Received 389 Likes on 199 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by t84a View Post
What machine did you buy
they sent me home with a Breg Cold Therapy clear one. Works perfectly.
I already had one that a friend sent me. If you need one, let me know and I will send it to you for free.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:37 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,122
Received 2,626 Likes on 1,423 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by txj33p View Post
I am just over 18 hours post rotator cuff and biceps tendon surgery. Surfing the norco wave and riding the ice machine. Fingers starting to move so I guess the nerve block is wearing off. Got most stuff figured out, but still need to sort out what to do for shirts.

Any suggestions for the next 6 weeks of winter season fashion?
A big heavy warm Robe. I could lay mine on the bed and squirm into it without moving much.

Guess it really depends what you have to dress for.

Good luck!
Old 12-28-2019, 04:44 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 125
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

Button up shirts 2 or 3 sizes bigger if you will have a sling on for 4 weeks or so. Tj max, or any of the off price stores.

Also a second sling that is the cheap mesh kind you can change into for your wife to shower you. CVS.

My wife used the mesh sling to at least stand in the ocean when we went to Kauai.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:58 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 720
Likes: 0
Received 373 Likes on 224 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NC_Native View Post
they sent me home with a Breg Cold Therapy clear one. Works perfectly.
I already had one that a friend sent me. If you need one, let me know and I will send it to you for free.
Wow. I was going to buy one.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:59 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 720
Likes: 0
Received 373 Likes on 224 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NC_Native View Post
I had rotator cuff surgery 5 days ago myself and this is exactly what I'm doing.
For my ice machine we used 4 frozen bottles of water. Kept 4 in the freezer ready to replace them.
I began taking oxycodone every 4 hrs once the nerve block wore off and quit taking them at all after 4 days. I have had almost zero pain.
Not to be a big guy but do you think it's possible to go without pain meds like oxy?
Old 12-28-2019, 05:00 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 720
Likes: 0
Received 373 Likes on 224 Posts
Default

I'm also not getting a block. That was the worst part of my last shoulder surgery.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:15 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pgh Pa
Posts: 15,511
Received 1,206 Likes on 903 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by t84a View Post
Not to be a big guy but do you think it's possible to go without pain meds like oxy?
Absolutely
Ibuprofen
Aleve

The best relief after the arm gets really annoying from being in the sling in one position for so long is a rolled up hand towel in the armpit

Last edited by Thalasso; 12-28-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:21 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 720
Likes: 0
Received 373 Likes on 224 Posts
Default


Old 12-28-2019, 05:22 PM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Wagontown, PA
Posts: 1,608
Likes: 0
Received 307 Likes on 113 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by t84a View Post
Not to be a big guy but do you think it's possible to go without pain meds like oxy?
I had the blocker, and when that wore off, the first 24 hrs it was two pain pills every 4 hrs. The 2nd 24 hrs it was one pill every 4 hrs. After that no more pills. I think you should at least use something the first 24 hrs.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:00 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 0
Received 328 Likes on 173 Posts
Default

I am currently using one pill q4h. I found a fleece vest would fit the sling through the arm hole, will look for a 3 or 4X shirt at Marshall, 33 degrees and rain here now and only going to get worse over the next couple of months.i hope that follow NC’s pattern and that the worst will be over in a couple of days. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:08 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 162
Received 363 Likes on 240 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tcpip95 View Post
I did your surgery (bicep tenodesis) about 13 years ago. You'll be in that wedge for 8 weeks. You've already been told that you cannot straighten your arm out for any reason, otherwise the tendon will pull out of the secured hole and it will NEVER be able to get fixed. So, onto wardrobe...

Warm or cold climate? Alone, or have help? Get shirts that are a V-neck and oversized. Sweatshirts are great. Button down the front are best if you have someone around to help.

KEEP AHEAD OF THE PAIN. Take the Norco as prescribed. Don't take them like Skittles and you'll be fine. For the first few days, don't wait for the pain to take the Norco. Ice is indeed your friend. Get plenty of packs of frozen peas (~ 10 packs). Double bag them in ziploc bags so they don't break on you. Find a comfortable recliner where you can fall asleep for a couple hours at a time. It will be VERY difficult to get a good, full night's sleep, so you'll be catching little power naps as they come along Ask your doctor for Zolpidem (Ambien). Watch the booze with Norco and Zolpidem.

Ask any questions along the way. A lot of people here have been through it.
When I first read this I thought the poster was the surgeon. I had to reread a couple times.

Very cool thread, and I appreciate all the replies as they will help not just myself.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.