Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Radio from the Movie Radio has died

Notices

Radio from the Movie Radio has died

Old 12-16-2019, 06:25 AM
  #1  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: anderson, sc
Posts: 19,389
Received 1,467 Likes on 849 Posts
Default Radio from the Movie Radio has died

I am sure some of y’all recall the movie a few years back Radio which starred Cuba Gooding Jr as a mentally handicapped black man basically adopted by a local high school coach and the school itself. This was/is a true story in my hometown and one of the high schools I serve on Board of Trustees for

Radio, James “Radio” Kennedy” passed away yesterday day at the age of 73 from a multitude of issue including diabetes and pancreatitis. Radio was still “attending TL Hanna High school . He has been a fixture around town for as long as I can recall and He LOVED TL Hanna football

A day everyone knew was coming but still a sad day, Radio loved every one. He even got to “run down the hill” at Clemson’s Death Valley before a football game a while back

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_(2003_film)


https://www.wyff4.com/article/he-alw...nnedy/30234184


Old 12-16-2019, 06:30 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,309
Received 9,214 Likes on 4,972 Posts
Default

My wife was an extra in several of the stadium scenes in the movie, which was done at the old Colleton County HS stadium. Coach Jones's house from the movie was also the house/farm that her grandmother grew up in, and my wife worked for the current owners through high school/college (small accounting firm).
Old 12-16-2019, 07:52 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Anderson SC
Posts: 4,095
Received 1,238 Likes on 647 Posts
Default

As I recalled it was mostly filmed in Walterboro reportedly because the town has the right look for those mid 70's era and T L Hanna High up here in Anderson SC was under renovation so could't be used anyway. I seem to recall several other locations but I cannot find any documentation of where those were. I could swear a few scenes were shot in Liberty SC. But maybe I am dreaming. Or remembering incorrectly.

To be honest I didn't think the movie was that good. The story sure is a sweet one.

RIP Radio.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:59 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,309
Received 9,214 Likes on 4,972 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
As I recalled it was mostly filmed in Walterboro reportedly because the town has the right look for those mid 70's era and T L Hanna High up here in Anderson SC was under renovation so could't be used anyway. I seem to recall several other locations but I cannot find any documentation of where those were. I could swear a few scenes were shot in Liberty SC. But maybe I am dreaming. Or remembering incorrectly.

To be honest I didn't think the movie was that good. The story sure is a sweet one.

RIP Radio.
Correct. My understanding is the old walterboro stadium was very similar to the old TL Hannah HS Stadium, as was the old Hampton Street Elementary School (currently USC Salkehatchie). The Hampton Street building was also the location for Forest Gump's school in that movie.

Last edited by autobaun70; 12-16-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:23 AM
  #5  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: anderson, sc
Posts: 19,389
Received 1,467 Likes on 849 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
Correct. My understanding is the old walterboro stadium was very similar to the old TL Hannah HS Stadium, as was the old Hampton Street Elementary School (currently USC Salkehatchie). The Hampton Street building was also the location for Forest Gump's school in that movie.


Think that is correct I assume the "old" TLH stadium is what was used by the old McDuffie HS years ago From 1972 until mid 90's TL Hanna and Westside HS played at District 5 Stadium which was built at the then new Westside HS When the built the new TLH HS it did not originally have it's own football stadium(which was later built with private funds from a local business couple that lost a daughter in a car wreck )
Old 12-16-2019, 09:30 AM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,309
Received 9,214 Likes on 4,972 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tprice View Post
Think that is correct I assume the "old" TLH stadium is what was used by the old McDuffie HS years ago From 1972 until mid 90's TL Hanna and Westside HS played at District 5 Stadium which was built at the then new Westside HS When the built the new TLH HS it did not originally have it's own football stadium(which was later built with private funds from a local business couple that lost a daughter in a car wreck )
That's my understanding. I haven't researched it too extensively, just going off what my FIL has told me. He is a SC HS Football fanatic, and a native of Waterboro/Summerville. Not sure if it has begun yet, but the old Walterboro stadium is actually scheduled to be demolished anytime. Hasn't been used in quite a few years since they moved to a new school and built an all new athletic campus attached to it. My MIL was actually AD there for a few years, and assistant AD for about 15 before that.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:23 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,237
Received 712 Likes on 313 Posts
Default

My sister that lives in Anderson, told me he was sick. My niece and nephew went to TLH and loved him. My niece also went to the Upstate Special Ed prom with him about 10 years ago. Very sad day for Anderson/TLH.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.