The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Dockside Chat (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat-18/)
-   -   Uber and assaults? (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/1050905-uber-assaults.html)

edwardh1 12-06-2019 05:02 AM

Uber and assaults?
 
How significant is this number 6000? And what would the number be for "regular" taxis?
https://www.npr.org/2019/12/05/78503...n-past-2-years
Is it safe for women to use uber? similar news article said people can hack the uber accounts and the driver you gets is not the one that uber qualified, regular taxis can have their problems too of course.

I am not in taxi business

alligatorgar 12-06-2019 05:10 AM

I dislike taxis to the point I hope they all go under.

uber is great... they have some bugs to workout.

Stim 12-06-2019 05:54 AM

I didn't read the link (HATE ALL THE ADS) Did see the CO interview on TV.
He said that about 50% of the attacks were the passenger attacking the driver!!
Also stats of 6000 were from a total of 5 million rides.
Saw another TV story where they failed to include these facts, why ruin a good hit piece.
I have no interest in UBER, never used it but does seem safer that riding with Ted Kennedy! :)

YeOldeStonecat 12-06-2019 06:13 AM

IMO, more along the lines of "women should be careful going about 'alone' regardless of how/where".

Not just uber, but any taxi, or limo for that matter.
Not just some transportation in a car, but any situation where alone with a strange man.

In a place like New York City where it's all packed with people..can feel a little safer.
In a place where they'll travel more rural roads...increased risk.

Travel in groups, share a ride with others, etc. Just "be smart".

crazybeard 12-06-2019 06:23 AM


Originally Posted by Stim (Post 13162415)
I didn't read the link (HATE ALL THE ADS) Did see the CO interview on TV.
He said that about 50% of the attacks were the passenger attacking the driver!!
Also stats of 6000 were from a total of 5 million rides.
Saw another TV story where they failed to include these facts, why ruin a good hit piece.
I have no interest in UBER, never used it but does seem safer that riding with Ted Kennedy! :)

check the link again.

less than 6k reports out of 2.3 BILLION rides in the 2 years covered by those stats. (17/18)

that comes out to less than

0.000261%

rdmallory 12-06-2019 06:27 AM

A lot easier to share a ride on Lyft or Uber than a Taxi.

Doug

muskamoot 12-06-2019 07:10 AM

Who would have thought that a woman calling a stranger for a ride would be dangerous? Kind of like John Wayne Gacy or Jeff Dahmer ordering pizza delivered.

mystery 12-06-2019 07:20 AM


Originally Posted by edwardh1 (Post 13162303)
How significant is this number 6000? And what would the number be for "regular" taxis?
https://www.npr.org/2019/12/05/78503...n-past-2-years
Is it safe for women to use uber? similar news article said people can hack the uber accounts and the driver you gets is not the one that uber qualified, regular taxis can have their problems too of course.

I am not in taxi business

my question as well but not just taxi but perhaps all black car, ride sharing, ride services

cphilip 12-06-2019 07:25 AM

Insignificant... unless its you or yours....

spraynet 1 12-06-2019 07:45 AM

2.3 Billion rides???????

Don't see how that's even remotely possible for just Uber. Maybe ALL taxis and ride share in the entire planet.

fjmaverick 12-06-2019 08:06 AM

I have had some pretty bad uber drivers in my life

I was in RI and took an uber with a guy that didnt speak any english. None zero. He answered the phone while we driving and tried to communicate using another tablet with googles translator. He then tried to get me to talk to the other people that he accepted a ride from. They were pissed and said they had been waiting for 20 minutes. I took the phone and told them to get another driver. The guy couldnt even follow simple hand signals like pointing to park...

Now they tell you what languages they speak so I guess that wont happen again to me anyway.

Lorne Greene 12-06-2019 08:17 AM

I use uber 3-4 times a week. I have had a hand full of crappy drivers, non-english speakers and several who were not the actual uber drivers but using a relatives' account. I can't really say that I have ever had a problem with them. For some reason, Uber is like Tesla in terms of people wanting to rip them apart for whatever reason they have. This is just another hit job on Uber which overlooks datapoints.

fishingfun 12-06-2019 08:24 AM


Originally Posted by Stim (Post 13162415)
I didn't read the link (HATE ALL THE ADS) Did see the CO interview on TV.
He said that about 50% of the attacks were the passenger attacking the driver!!
Also stats of 6000 were from a total of 5 million rides.
Saw another TV story where they failed to include these facts, why ruin a good hit piece.
I have no interest in UBER, never used it but does seem safer that riding with Ted Kennedy! :)

I know a guy arrested for Sexual Battery to an uber driver. Not sure what he actually did but Sexual Battery could be something like grabbing her tit, trying to kiss her, etc... much different then sexual assault.

nhmetalguy 12-06-2019 08:50 AM


Originally Posted by fishingfun (Post 13162871)
I know a guy arrested for Sexual Battery to an uber driver. Not sure what he actually did but Sexual Battery could be something like grabbing her tit, trying to kiss her, etc... much different then sexual assault.

Unwanted sexual touching of any kind is sexual assault.

mystery 12-06-2019 08:52 AM


Originally Posted by Lorne Greene (Post 13162844)
I use uber 3-4 times a week. I have had a hand full of crappy drivers, non-english speakers and several who were not the actual uber drivers but using a relatives' account. I can't really say that I have ever had a problem with them. For some reason, Uber is like Tesla in terms of people wanting to rip them apart for whatever reason they have. This is just another hit job on Uber which overlooks datapoints.

i probably have used uber/lyft 1,000+ times. my rating is 4.8 or something. i have had several significantly bad / negatively memorable experiences and all were on uber platform (not lyft):

1) asked (nicely) for an uber driver to pull over to the right so i could get out next to my office (had been dropped off 100+ times in same spot) when he go off the road we were on, he flipped out on me screaming not to tell him how to do his job, slammed on his breaks full force on a busy highway, screaming at me, once he pulled over, i exited, left the door open so he would have to get out and shut it, i thought he was going to attack me
2) driver was going in opposite direction of where we needed to go, multiple chances to correct, his gps was warning him, etc. i (nicely) said i think we are going in the wrong direction after he missed a few turns to correct. he flipped out on me. told me he was driving taxi cab in the city for 20+ years before and he knows where we are going. after going about 15 blocks in the wrong direction, finally realizing, turning around, i asked him to end the ride so we wouldnt have to pay for the extra mileage/time since it was his mistake. he said no. i said then i will just dispute it. he said i needed to leave him 5 star review, almost as a threat, before exiting the vehicle and show him. i said nope. he then said he was going to leave me a 1 star passenger rating and report me i said lol go ahead
3) uber app glitched. routed driver to the wrong place one city over. i had never been to the destination we were heading to before but was with someone else and we realized something wasnt right. looked at our phones and saw where we were was wrong and we had entered the destination correctly. driver threw a fit when we brought it up, made us get out in the middle of a ghetto in the wrong city, no one would pick us up, we had to walk around in the freezing cold for an hour after a dozen attempts to hail an uber a local taxi/car service drove by and we begged them. uber credit the ride and gave me a $5 credit. i was like **** you guys ruined our night, left us in an unsafe area, and they hadn't even acknowledged/fixed the bug even though it was easily reproduce-able for weeks thereafter.
4) driver falling asleep while driving
5) driver not listening to my advice / signs that say to turn somewhere due to security zone / road closure. we got stuck at stand still for 30 mins, then everything shut down (main tunnel to leave city) due to president coming. i had to run in opposite direction, hail a cab which took an hour, then driver had to go almost an hour out of way on a bridge, to get around a security zone, almost missed international flight, thankfully co-worker was on-board, and pilot was nice enough to wait for me (which i never thought he would). took me 3 hours to make it to airport that normally takes 20 minutes in no traffic. it would have probably been closer to an hour if the idiot driver didnt ignore me and the signs.
6) i have caught several license plate / vehicle / driver mismatches
7) i feel like there is one more bad story of my own that i am forgetting but also know of a friend of a friend whose daughter was apparently sexually assaulted by an uber driver

crazybeard 12-06-2019 08:53 AM


Originally Posted by cphilip (Post 13162687)
Insignificant... unless its you or yours....

of course. I'd also be interested in the numbers for other more traditional ride services.

that Uber number is quite low compared to the averages of rapes in most cities.

Fish'nFool 12-06-2019 09:06 AM

Had a driver pick me up in NY, noticed after I got in that while the car checked out the picture of the driver differed. Guy was telling me how he is driving for his son so he could pay for his college or some nonsense.

Needless to say I reported him and was refunded the fare.


alligatorgar 12-06-2019 10:18 AM


Originally Posted by Fish'nFool (Post 13163008)
Had a driver pick me up in NY, noticed after I got in that while the car checked out the picture of the driver differed. Guy was telling me how he is driving for his son so he could pay for his college or some nonsense.

Needless to say I reported him and was refunded the fare.

good job, we need more upstanding citizens willing to put personal feelings aside and do the right thing...

joe.giuliano 12-06-2019 11:57 AM


Originally Posted by Fish'nFool (Post 13163008)
Had a driver pick me up in NY, noticed after I got in that while the car checked out the picture of the driver differed. Guy was telling me how he is driving for his son so he could pay for his college or some nonsense.

Needless to say I reported him and was refunded the fare.

How do you know he was lying?

Still Stoked 12-06-2019 12:02 PM

I may, or may not be carrying.

Be careful out there!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.