Notices

Vacation Ideas....

Old 11-20-2019, 01:02 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,620
Received 1,412 Likes on 874 Posts
Default Vacation Ideas....

In the very early planning stages of a vacation for our 10th anniversary. Looking to go in Aug/Sept/Oct 2020 time frame for 10 - 14 days, leaving out of Boston. Looking to start the vacation with something more active - whether that's site seeing, hiking, diving, etc. - and finish the last few days with down time. Probably not looking for planes, trains and automobiles - I don't want to blow 2 days traveling each way.

We've been to much of southeast Asia (Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Singapore) and a decent amount of Europe. We've never been to Africa, South America, Australia or Oz. I want to be the f away from people, I don't want to wait in line for anything, and bonus points if cell phones don't work. I'd prefer to go someplace we wouldn't need to rely on a guide the whole time, but am not opposed to having one facilitate portions of the trip. Probably not looking to go anywhere cold.

Budget? Eh. Don't be stupid, I guess? I'm assuming airfare for around $1,500 pp and $200 - 400 per day? Ish?

Where have you been that's spectacular?
Old 11-20-2019, 01:05 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South East Pa
Posts: 9,491
Received 988 Likes on 519 Posts
Default

Ever been to Croatia?

My wife and I just planned a 10 day trip next June, flying into Salt Lake City renting a car and driving to Denver. Lots of great places to see in both States. Utah has some spectacular parks

Last edited by FASTFJR; 11-20-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:05 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 955
Received 832 Likes on 500 Posts
Default

I know of one place, not a far plane ride, that fits the bill: Costa Rica
Old 11-20-2019, 01:07 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 580
Received 888 Likes on 437 Posts
Default

Croatia X 2
Old 11-20-2019, 01:14 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 1,099
Likes: 0
Received 256 Likes on 130 Posts
Default

My wife and I are not big travelers. Our normal vacation is Fl or Caribbean but that is every few years.

We did go to south Africa 2 years ago and it was beyond all our expectations. We did it right ,but it cost a lot more than 400 a day.
Costa Rica was our other big trip . And really enjoyed that .

On no cell phones. The camp (MALA MALA) we stayed at was huge and way out in the bush. But there were a couple of spots you had to be careful when taking photos that you did not get the cell tower in the background!



Old 11-20-2019, 01:15 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Greenville/MHC, NC
Posts: 2,732
Received 4,737 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Default

Alaska. PM "rbhankins001" he can set you up with just what you are looking for.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:17 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 580
Received 888 Likes on 437 Posts
Default

In the States... Lake Tahoe.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:17 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,169
Received 1,216 Likes on 621 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MattGoose View Post
In the very early planning stages of a vacation for our 10th anniversary. Looking to go in Aug/Sept/Oct 2020 time frame for 10 - 14 days, leaving out of Boston. Looking to start the vacation with something more active - whether that's site seeing, hiking, diving, etc. - and finish the last few days with down time. Probably not looking for planes, trains and automobiles - I don't want to blow 2 days traveling each way.

We've been to much of southeast Asia (Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Singapore) and a decent amount of Europe. We've never been to Africa, South America, Australia or Oz. I want to be the f away from people, I don't want to wait in line for anything, and bonus points if cell phones don't work. I'd prefer to go someplace we wouldn't need to rely on a guide the whole time, but am not opposed to having one facilitate portions of the trip. Probably not looking to go anywhere cold.

Budget? Eh. Don't be stupid, I guess? I'm assuming airfare for around $1,500 pp and $200 - 400 per day? Ish?

Where have you been that's spectacular?
Ten years in and you still haven't learned to just ask the wife?
Old 11-20-2019, 01:21 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Citrus County, Fl.
Posts: 235
Received 441 Likes on 207 Posts
Default

Ukraine?
Old 11-20-2019, 01:24 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St Barths F.W.I.
Posts: 4,463
Received 387 Likes on 176 Posts
Default

New Zealand South island
Old 11-20-2019, 01:26 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Beach County
Posts: 10,733
Received 2,219 Likes on 1,260 Posts
Default

I would bounce around a few islands in the bahamas or keys. Good time to travel because kids are in school so you dont have them around you. San Sal.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:31 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Amongst the FL fishies
Posts: 7,019
Received 1,264 Likes on 680 Posts
Default

Daintree Rainforest, Tasmania or New Zealand South Island. Yes you will eat up some travel time, but the experience you'll never forget. Alternatively, one of the smaller Hawaiian Islands.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:33 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 12,460
Received 2,658 Likes on 1,255 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by aFORDable View Post
Alaska. PM "rbhankins001" he can set you up with just what you are looking for.
X2! Go see Alaska!
Weflew into Anchorage, rented a pickup at the airport, and went on daily (and multi day) adventures. Denali to the north, Seward, Whittier, and Kenai to the south.

We went for 12 days (the beginning of Sept.) and it really wasn't enough, but we saw a lot!

Last edited by Jus Teasin; 11-20-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:46 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: De
Posts: 2,507
Likes: 0
Received 598 Likes on 305 Posts
Default

Safari in Namibia.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:48 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 246
Likes: 0
Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Did Costa Rica last fall. Awesome!
Old 11-20-2019, 01:50 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Madisonville, LA
Posts: 890
Likes: 0
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Default

St John. Can probably get a direct flight from Boston. Rent a private villa and a jeep and go to whatever beach you want on what day you want. Those months are low season, so no problem being alone most of the time if you want. There's also hiking trails, snorkeling on your own from the beach, etc for the more active times when you don't want to just lie around. Beautiful island and you can also explore the many other islands in close proximity.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:53 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,620
Received 1,412 Likes on 874 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Qb1rdman View Post
Ten years in and you still haven't learned to just ask the wife?
Ten years in I've learned to spend a bunch of time researching and making a decision just to quietly keep it to myself
Old 11-20-2019, 01:55 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,620
Received 1,412 Likes on 874 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FASTFJR View Post
Ever been to Croatia?

My wife and I just planned a 10 day trip next June, flying into Salt Lake City renting a car and driving to Denver. Lots of great places to see in both States. Utah has some spectacular parks
Originally Posted by Flybull View Post
Croatia X 2
She has been to Croatia, but I have not, and she went several years ago. My biggest reservation with Croatia is that EVERYONE seems to go there.... Although the wandering hordes may have passed on by now. I've done enough trips where I have to listen to too many stupid American tourists.

One of the leading ideas is an extended trip through the Wyoming/Idaho/Montana park system.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:00 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,620
Received 1,412 Likes on 874 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Striper In View Post
Safari in Namibia.
Originally Posted by InTheNet View Post
My wife and I are not big travelers. Our normal vacation is Fl or Caribbean but that is every few years.

We did go to south Africa 2 years ago and it was beyond all our expectations. We did it right ,but it cost a lot more than 400 a day.
Costa Rica was our other big trip . And really enjoyed that .

On no cell phones. The camp (MALA MALA) we stayed at was huge and way out in the bush. But there were a couple of spots you had to be careful when taking photos that you did not get the cell tower in the background!
I think Africa is probably too expensive... And possibly too far away to get too. I'm not a no, just would need to be really intrigued by something.

Also, my parents did the safari in Namibia thing last year and almost didn't make it back. Hippo attacked their makoro and my mom ended up spending a few days in the hospital before they could move again. So, that's a hard maybe for us

Old 11-20-2019, 02:03 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,620
Received 1,412 Likes on 874 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HookMeUpII View Post
I know of one place, not a far plane ride, that fits the bill: Costa Rica
Originally Posted by no704 View Post
Did Costa Rica last fall. Awesome!
How are the weather and the crowds that time of year? I always think of everything from Costa Rica through the eastern edge of the Caribean as a no go that time of year.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.