Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Recommended South Florida kitchen cabinet supplier?

Notices

Recommended South Florida kitchen cabinet supplier?

Old 11-08-2019, 08:41 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: naples
Posts: 334
Received 750 Likes on 351 Posts
Default Recommended South Florida kitchen cabinet supplier?

Looking to purchase kitchen cabinets that are pre-made that can be either put together or purchased already assembled.

Down in SWFL they are pretty proud of their cabinets and labor rates and are able to get away with it. Cant blame them for making as much money as they can, but I cant justify their prices . The cost versus return on investment is crazy, and you are lucky if you get back even 50% of what you paid for the product and services.

Anyhow I'm looking to setup and arrange the cabinets myself then hire someone to do the counter tops. I actually did this with an investment home before and worked out great by selecting the home depot premade cabinets. Did a complete kitchen (cabinets,sink,granite) for around $6K with granite .

However, that was an investment property and this time it will be a house that in likelihood will live in for atleast 5 years or so, so looking for better grade cabinets and selections than the premade home depot or lowes cabinets.

I heard of IKEA but they appear to be to industrial or minimalist where we prefer more traditional or french country design.

I'm aware of online companies that you can buy directly from, but have no experience with them or know anyone who has purchased products from them and I'm hesitant to buy sight unseen. However, not taking the online option of the table either.

My understanding is that in Miami their is a huge cabinet warehouse where a lot of the contractors buy their product from but don't know the name or if they sell to the general public?

I'm located in SWFL but would consider driving 2-4 hours to purchase or visit a showroom.

This is kind of the look we like and are going after.


Flame away ,lol

Last edited by alfnator; 11-08-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:54 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perdido Key
Posts: 6,352
Received 460 Likes on 333 Posts
Default

I can’t suggest a supplier but we are building a house and did some checking on cabinets that vary in quality from the IKEA grade cabinet on up. At the end of the day we chose Shiloh cabinets and very good quality.

Their “entry” level quality blows away the “best grade” competition and cost wise not a major difference in price. You may want to check them out.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:14 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: naples
Posts: 334
Received 750 Likes on 351 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Badbagger View Post
I can’t suggest a supplier but we are building a house and did some checking on cabinets that vary in quality from the IKEA grade cabinet on up. At the end of the day we chose Shiloh cabinets and very good quality.

Their “entry” level quality blows away the “best grade” competition and cost wise not a major difference in price. You may want to check them out.
They look like they have the style we are going for. Are you putting them together yourself or did you hire someone to install them? I tried to see if I can contact someone at Shiloh and find a nearby retailer but they want your personal information just to search for a nearby retailer. I get enough spam already that I try to minimize who I give my contact info too.

Who was the retailer you used and did they have a showroom?

Old 11-08-2019, 09:15 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 2,232
Likes: 0
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts
Default

A couple of years ago between Christmas and New Year's, HD put their custom cabinets on sale at 30% off. Unless you have a really high end property, the quality was fine and the price could not be beat.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:47 AM
  #5  
THT SponsorCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wisconsin And Marathon,Fl
Posts: 8,855
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,080 Posts
Default

I used this guy, he did all my kitchen cabinets, bath vanities, and quartz countertops, sinks and hardware and installed them. $12k for everything. They are all solid wood, no particle board. I would highly recommend him. If you want to see them, here is a link to my rental. You can click on the circles on the floor and drag your mouse around and walk through the house and bathrooms to see. https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=yhdWwQbTsJ5

USA CABINET DESIGN.CORP
480 west 28 st ,Hialeah ,33010
954-982-5289 - 305-647-9883
Old 11-08-2019, 09:53 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: naples
Posts: 334
Received 750 Likes on 351 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mikeloew View Post
I used this guy, he did all my kitchen cabinets, bath vanities, and quartz countertops, sinks and hardware and installed them. $12k for everything. They are all solid wood, no particle board. I would highly recommend him. If you want to see them, here is a link to my rental. You can click on the circles on the floor and drag your mouse around and walk through the house and bathrooms to see. https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=yhdWwQbTsJ5

USA CABINET DESIGN.CORP
480 west 28 st ,Hialeah ,33010
954-982-5289 - 305-647-9883
Thanks those look great.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:58 AM
  #7  
THT SponsorCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wisconsin And Marathon,Fl
Posts: 8,855
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,080 Posts
Default

If you do call him, he is a little hard to understand. Think he is Honduran and he has a hard time with English. But he does do good work.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:00 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perdido Key
Posts: 6,352
Received 460 Likes on 333 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by alfnator View Post
They look like they have the style we are going for. Are you putting them together yourself or did you hire someone to install them? I tried to see if I can contact someone at Shiloh and find a nearby retailer but they want your personal information just to search for a nearby retailer. I get enough spam already that I try to minimize who I give my contact info too.

Who was the retailer you used and did they have a showroom?
We are just outside of Pensacola and a buddy of mine does cabinet installs so on his suggestion we went to a local Shiloh dealer who has them on the floor.

We are buying from the dealer but my buddy is doing the install, I have the option to install but happy to pay my buddy $1,000 to install all cabinets in the house. One less thing to deal with lol. Their website should let you search for a local supplier.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:27 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: naples
Posts: 334
Received 750 Likes on 351 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mikeloew View Post
If you do call him, he is a little hard to understand. Think he is Honduran and he has a hard time with English. But he does do good work.
No problem , I speak Spanish.
Does he have warehouse or showroom to look at the cabinets or did you order them elsewhere and he installed them?
Old 11-08-2019, 11:29 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: naples
Posts: 334
Received 750 Likes on 351 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Badbagger View Post
We are just outside of Pensacola and a buddy of mine does cabinet installs so on his suggestion we went to a local Shiloh dealer who has them on the floor.

We are buying from the dealer but my buddy is doing the install, I have the option to install but happy to pay my buddy $1,000 to install all cabinets in the house. One less thing to deal with lol. Their website should let you search for a local supplier.
If I could get someone to install them for 1K I would be happy as well,lol.


Old 11-08-2019, 12:06 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 7,794
Likes: 0
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,142 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by alfnator View Post
Looking to purchase kitchen cabinets that are pre-made that can be either put together or purchased already assembled.

Down in SWFL they are pretty proud of their cabinets and labor rates and are able to get away with it. Cant blame them for making as much money as they can, but I cant justify their prices . The cost versus return on investment is crazy, and you are lucky if you get back even 50% of what you paid for the product and services.

Anyhow I'm looking to setup and arrange the cabinets myself then hire someone to do the counter tops. I actually did this with an investment home before and worked out great by selecting the home depot premade cabinets. Did a complete kitchen (cabinets,sink,granite) for around $6K with granite .

However, that was an investment property and this time it will be a house that in likelihood will live in for atleast 5 years or so, so looking for better grade cabinets and selections than the premade home depot or lowes cabinets.

I heard of IKEA but they appear to be to industrial or minimalist where we prefer more traditional or french country design.

I'm aware of online companies that you can buy directly from, but have no experience with them or know anyone who has purchased products from them and I'm hesitant to buy sight unseen. However, not taking the online option of the table either.

My understanding is that in Miami their is a huge cabinet warehouse where a lot of the contractors buy their product from but don't know the name or if they sell to the general public?

I'm located in SWFL but would consider driving 2-4 hours to purchase or visit a showroom.

This is kind of the look we like and are going after.


Flame away ,lol
That looks full custom with the inlaid doors and no filler strips. You're not going to get close to that with premade cabinets.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:36 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perdido Key
Posts: 6,352
Received 460 Likes on 333 Posts
Default

Agreed do your homework, all cabinets are not created equally and you get what you pay for.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:54 PM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 93
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

I don't know about Home Depot's pre-made cabinets, but I ordered an Elkay brand (InnerMost) that Elkay no longer makes from Home Depot, and it is top shelf. I paid for construction upgrades so that it was thicker.

Home Depot and the other big boxes have a range of cabinets in a range of quality levels that you can order. What you need to look at is the construction--what materials and how thick. Plywood is better than particle board (would not buy particle board). Particle board does not hold up and cannot handle water. Dove-tailed joints. Probably even the cheap brands will have soft-close hinges. I like frameless vs framed.

I would not buy IKEA, but that is me. I don't like the construction and don't think that they last. I have never owned IKEA, but I tested out the construction at their giant store and I thought it felt cheap. I've also read a number of reviews.

Girlfriend did the new cabinet doors thing where they keep the cabinet frames and just add new doors and appears happy with that route.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:01 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: naples
Posts: 334
Received 750 Likes on 351 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Badbagger View Post
Agreed do your homework, all cabinets are not created equally and you get what you pay for.
Agree on the homework and not all cabinets being equal. However and unfortunately, I have found that cost doesn't equate to quality or what you paid for any longer.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:02 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: naples
Posts: 334
Received 750 Likes on 351 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mikefloyd View Post
That looks full custom with the inlaid doors and no filler strips. You're not going to get close to that with premade cabinets.
Maybe , just seeing what options are available and if the cost difference is warranted.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:18 PM
  #16  
THT SponsorCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wisconsin And Marathon,Fl
Posts: 8,855
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,080 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by alfnator View Post
No problem , I speak Spanish.
Does he have warehouse or showroom to look at the cabinets or did you order them elsewhere and he installed them?
He does have some samples in his shop. He builds them right there. He has all kinds from cherry, oak, or painted.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:34 PM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Miami, Fl.
Posts: 2,973
Received 1,586 Likes on 758 Posts
Default

Just a suggestion on the cabinets. You may want to go with a big builder, like KraftMaid. It's difficult for small shops to compete with million dollar planing and mitering machines and multi-step finishes. Spend some money on good full drawer hardware. The sink base takes the biggest beating, being exposed to water often. I used to do kitchens and baths for a contractor and using good materials is the beginning of a great job. Start with good boxes and then Dress them with a nice door style. Filler pieces and molding finish the job.
Here's a place in Naples that is a KraftMaid dealer. HOME
Old 11-08-2019, 01:39 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location:
Posts: 224
Received 67 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

Nelson cabinetry sells online RTA shaker cabinets. All wood. Dovetail, etc.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:54 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 7,794
Likes: 0
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,142 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by alfnator View Post
Agree on the homework and not all cabinets being equal. However and unfortunately, I have found that cost doesn't equate to quality or what you paid for any longer.
I have a custom cabinet guy I use here and I'm very satisfied with his quality and price. He does several different levels of custom depending on what you want and only builds cabinets that he installs; he doesn't want his quality messed up by a bad installation. Unfortunately it's trail and error finding the right company.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:55 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
flyau98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The Blackwater River, FL
Posts: 3,441
Received 178 Likes on 93 Posts
Default

I think between family and friends, we've done 6 hours or so with J&K in Pompano. Leah is the rep we've used. Great prices and nice stuff. Its imported stock stuff, but they have tons of sizes, etc. She'll do layouts for you...and was pretty creative and knowledgeable about what works well, etc. Never had any problems with the product they delivered.

Our experience with granite through them...is they just refer you to another business - that business has to charge you a little more if you tell them J&K sent you....

1591 North Powerline Road
Pompano Beach, FL 33069

Tel: 954-984-8585
Fax: 954-984-8713
Email: jk8info@gmail.com

Hours: Mon-Fri 9:00am - 6:00pm
Sat 9:00am - 5:30pm


https://jandkcabinetry.com/locations/florida/

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.