Notices

Website for Beach House Plans?

Old 11-04-2019, 03:15 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Silverton, Oregon
Posts: 401
Received 362 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Website for Beach House Plans?

We are in the process of buying a piece of property on Alsea Bay in Waldport, Oregon. It has about 300’ of beach with a low (~2-3’) berm at the high water line.

Building is allowed anywhere behind this berm and we would like to be as be as close as possible to maximize views. Because if this, a house in low pilings seems to make sense. The town caps height at 26’, so it would need to be a one story or two story with a relatively flat roof.

I will I’ll be acting as my own general contractor (I did it sixteen years ago building our home) and doing some work myself.

We are looking for something around 2,000 square feet with four bedrooms and two or three baths. Probably going to be a very modest build by THT standards, but it is a beautiful location and we are excited to get started on the house in the spring.

Any recommendations for websites that sell plans? I will probably end up having a local person change a few things, but the ability to browse plans is a big plus.

Also, any photos of your beach homes would be appreciated, as well as lessons learned building them.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:29 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Bluffton,SC/San Jose,CR
Posts: 1,904
Received 359 Likes on 174 Posts
Default

Donald Gardner designs. I’ve done two of his and they’re awesome folks to work with. Have a lot of Coastal Living/Southern Living designs.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:07 PM
  #3  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The Pork & Beans
Posts: 2,961
Likes: 0
Received 789 Likes on 439 Posts
Default

What style of house do you like? If modern, go with a ranch style house with a flat roof. Go maximum height in all public rooms-- right up to the 26' limit. You can stack the guest bedrooms if you want, but keep the high ceilings in the master bedroom.

Add an EXTERNAL staircase to the roof to make the entire roof an enjoyable place to hang out. Think tables, bean bag chairs, artificial turf, hot tub, non-enclosed shower, and at least one fire feature. Think glass railings to the ocean side.

Are you a car or garage guy? Give your vehicles a window to the ocean from the garage.

Just some ideas. Enjoy!

==>Rapi
Old 11-04-2019, 06:26 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Kiln, MS
Posts: 614
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts
Default

Check out southern living house plans.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:42 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 215
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Might be too southern for the west coast:

https://www.allisonramseyarchitect.com/index.cfm
Old 11-04-2019, 07:44 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Silverton, Oregon
Posts: 401
Received 362 Likes on 179 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Donald Gardner designs. I’ve done two of his and they’re awesome folks to work with. Have a lot of Coastal Living/Southern Living designs.
They have some nice designs, thanks!

Originally Posted by Rapi View Post
What style of house do you like? If modern, go with a ranch style house with a flat roof. Go maximum height in all public rooms-- right up to the 26' limit. You can stack the guest bedrooms if you want, but keep the high ceilings in the master bedroom.

Add an EXTERNAL staircase to the roof to make the entire roof an enjoyable place to hang out. Think tables, bean bag chairs, artificial turf, hot tub, non-enclosed shower, and at least one fire feature. Think glass railings to the ocean side.

Are you a car or garage guy? Give your vehicles a window to the ocean from the garage.

Just some ideas. Enjoy!

==>Rapi
Our home is craftsman style, but for the beach we are thinking more modern.

I like the the idea of a tall vaulted ceiling for the master bedroom and living/kitchen, the rest can be stacked.

The idea of a rooftop deck is intriguing, but our weather is more conducive to a covered deck.

I’m not really into cars, so no big garage. The boat will get a shed so we can leave it there at times.

Thanks for all all your input!

Originally Posted by critt77matt View Post
Check out southern living house plans.
Great selection!

Old 11-04-2019, 07:49 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Silverton, Oregon
Posts: 401
Received 362 Likes on 179 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Goobs View Post
Might be too southern for the west coast:

https://www.allisonramseyarchitect.com/index.cfm
My boat was made in South Carolina, so why not my house plans?
Old 11-04-2019, 09:02 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tampa
Posts: 279
Likes: 0
Received 399 Likes on 178 Posts
Default

Here is a link to my beach house website:

https://www.powerball.com/games/home

Old 11-05-2019, 05:40 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,309
Likes: 0
Received 331 Likes on 176 Posts
Default

I remember reading this article about building on the Oregon coast and the issues facing it. I hope this helps in your thinking about design.

https://www.finehomebuilding.com/200...on-windy-beach
Old 11-05-2019, 06:17 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,894
Received 2,734 Likes on 1,259 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dan_F View Post
We are in the process of buying a piece of property on Alsea Bay in Waldport, Oregon. It has about 300’ of beach with a low (~2-3’) berm at the high water line.

Building is allowed anywhere behind this berm and we would like to be as be as close as possible to maximize views. Because if this, a house in low pilings seems to make sense. The town caps height at 26’, so it would need to be a one story or two story with a relatively flat roof.

I will I’ll be acting as my own general contractor (I did it sixteen years ago building our home) and doing some work myself.

We are looking for something around 2,000 square feet with four bedrooms and two or three baths. Probably going to be a very modest build by THT standards, but it is a beautiful location and we are excited to get started on the house in the spring.

Any recommendations for websites that sell plans? I will probably end up having a local person change a few things, but the ability to browse plans is a big plus.

Also, any photos of your beach homes would be appreciated, as well as lessons learned building them.

Dan, what height piles are you thinking about?
Old 11-05-2019, 07:04 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Shore, MA
Posts: 2,515
Received 2,730 Likes on 1,154 Posts
Default

I don't know that they specifically design "beach" homes but I used these guys on my present home. The builder didn't have any issues (other than his alcoholism - long sad story) and the permit package sailed through in our little burg pretty easily . I like that you can input your lot dimension and they will give you designs that fit. They can also modify the design as you like for a little extra or provide drawings later for additions.

https://www.nhdhomeplans.com/
Old 11-05-2019, 07:14 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Silverton, Oregon
Posts: 401
Received 362 Likes on 179 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Here is a link to my beach house website:

https://www.powerball.com/games/home

I wouldn’t be doing any of the work myself if I won!

Originally Posted by txj33p View Post
I remember reading this article about building on the Oregon coast and the issues facing it. I hope this helps in your thinking about design.

https://www.finehomebuilding.com/200...on-windy-beach
That is a very cool house/article. We aren’t that exposed, but the Pacific NW winter storms are no joke.

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
Dan, what height piles are you thinking about?
We caretake a place on the coast for a friend that moved to Idaho. It is set on piles that are about 2’ off the ground in one corner and 5’ in the high corner - I was thinking something like this. We don’t want to elevate the house too much, I mostly want to go with piles to avoid issues with settling foundations.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:15 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Silverton, Oregon
Posts: 401
Received 362 Likes on 179 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I don't know that they specifically design "beach" homes but I used these guys on my present home. The builder didn't have any issues (other than his alcoholism - long sad story) and the permit package sailed through in our little burg pretty easily . I like that you can input your lot dimension and they will give you designs that fit. They can also modify the design as you like for a little extra or provide drawings later for additions.

https://www.nhdhomeplans.com/
Thanks, I will check them out.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:38 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,073
Received 478 Likes on 268 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dan_F View Post
The town caps height at 26’, so it would need to be a one story or two story with a relatively flat roof.


Check with the local planning department. Depending on where you are, height could be tallest point at ridge or average between ridge and fascia.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:38 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Silverton, Oregon
Posts: 401
Received 362 Likes on 179 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by louiefl View Post
Check with the local planning department. Depending on where you are, height could be tallest point at ridge or average between ridge and fascia.
Thanks for the tip. I double checked, and I was off on the height restriction (going from memory). It is actually thirty feet to the ridge.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:24 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Madison, MS
Posts: 311
Likes: 0
Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

I have always like these. Simple design and open floor plan.

https://beachcathomes.com/#
Old 11-06-2019, 07:43 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Silverton, Oregon
Posts: 401
Received 362 Likes on 179 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mulefeathers View Post
I have always like these. Simple design and open floor plan.

https://beachcathomes.com/#
These are really nice, I was envisioning something like these - thanks!
Old 11-06-2019, 10:48 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,073
Received 478 Likes on 268 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dan_F View Post


Thanks for the tip. I double checked, and I was off on the height restriction (going from memory). It is actually thirty feet to the ridge.
And check the reference of where they start measuring. Is it first floor of occupied space? If so, then floor at the base of the blow out walls would not count. Locally, they were trying to limit a golf clubhouse saying the semi-below grade cart barn counted as the starting point, but finally made the interpretation that it was from the finished floor of the clubhouse.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:18 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
WeeKilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: NC/SC
Posts: 362
Received 1,423 Likes on 690 Posts
Default

houseplans.net - lots to choose from.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:27 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 113
Received 106 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

have mine picked out already.
https://www.houseplans.com/plan/3041...4-garage-33796
or
https://www.houseplans.net/floorplan...-4.5-bathrooms

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.