The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Dockside Chat (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat-18/)
-   -   sticker shock on non-boating things (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/1045422-sticker-shock-non-boating-things.html)

fishingfun 11-04-2019 12:28 PM


Originally Posted by cherylchecheryl (Post 13077479)
I routinely buy boneless, skinless chicken breast for $1.99 (Walmart and Jewel). I found a crazy sale recently where it was $0.99 a pound. Eggs can vary dramatically week to week. They actually last for a long time in frig, so I load up when they are cheap. Same thing with butter. You can freeze butter.

Shell gas station mini-mart had milk for $5.95 a gallon, while other gas station store had it for $2.99 and grocery had it for 2 for $4.

The comment about the middle man was exactly spot on. When I was looking for oriental rugs for my house, the same exact rug was being sold by 3 different merchants at $2,000, $4,000, and $8,000. Retail markup is usually double the merchant's cost.

Snob appeal, convenience, and lack of knowledge can all cost you.

Just read whats in that chicken your eating. Its injected with a bunch of crap.

Mckee4Me 11-04-2019 12:28 PM


Originally Posted by fishingfun (Post 13079090)
Where the hell are you shopping?

Shoprite.

Chicken breasts are almost always $1.99 / lb.
Gas is like $2.40 a gallon right now, and we do not even have to pump it.
Dozen eggs were 99 cents this week.
Wife's favorite win is $8.99 at Shoprite Liquors.

Misterfu02 11-04-2019 12:29 PM


Originally Posted by fishingfun (Post 13079090)
Where the hell are you shopping?

Prob at places that sell stale commodities.

dave8311 11-04-2019 12:41 PM

Publix and Winn Dixie.

Shop the sales and bogo's

But enough to last until they go on sale again.

Rjh1960 11-04-2019 02:15 PM


Originally Posted by Misterfu02 (Post 13079055)
I don't think a piece of fabric and a roller chain went up 700,000 % over the last few years.

I bought blinds for my entire downstairs, 1800 sq ft, and it was like $ 450 from blinds.com. If you can unravel a tape measure and use a screwdriver then you can install blinds.

great,now there is some poor installer wondering why the service calls have dropped off.

I think in some cases it is more of a time is money thing,if somebody mows your grass for $25 is it worth it to maintain equipment and sweat in 100 degree heat.

There are also some that cannot read a tape measure or even use a screwdriver but they have knowledge in other areas.

I used to do work for a fully licensed building contractor,he did not even know how to change a toilet out.

If something is made in this country and the reasonable added costs will benefit other Americans then I would pay more and not try and save a few dollars.

Would really like to see the $1 store become the $500 store.

Misterfu02 11-04-2019 02:27 PM


Originally Posted by Rjh1960 (Post 13079433)


great,now there is some poor installer wondering why the service calls have dropped off.

I think in some cases it is more of a time is money thing,if somebody mows your grass for $25 is it worth it to maintain equipment and sweat in 100 degree heat.

There are also some that cannot read a tape measure or even use a screwdriver but they have knowledge in other areas.

I used to do work for a fully licensed building contractor,he did not even know how to change a toilet out.

If something is made in this country and the reasonable added costs will benefit other Americans then I would pay more and not try and save a few dollars.

Would really like to see the $1 store become the $500 store.

Probably not. I charged $ 40 to mow .25 acres when I was 13 years old. I also used the homeowner's equipment, lol.

cherylchecheryl 11-05-2019 04:01 PM


Originally Posted by fishingfun (Post 13079097)
Just read whats in that chicken your eating. Its injected with a bunch of crap.

Maybe, but they taste good!

Bought some bacon one time from one of those farm to you type stores. People running it apparently raised the hogs themselves. Horrible!!!!! So bad that my dogs, who are hounds and would eat road tar, wouldnít eat it. I left it out for the raccoons. Give me those nitrates!

caltexflanc 11-05-2019 04:29 PM

If you value your time and aggravation at zero, DIY is always way cheaper. Everyone has their own algorithm for that decision.

OffshoreApparel.com 11-05-2019 08:01 PM


Originally Posted by Liveactionfishing (Post 13076696)
I recently priced a new set of impact windows, 14 openings nothing larger than about 36 x 60, half dozen were very small openings. $70K, but if I bought today there's a 25% discount.

Needless to say the shutters will continue to go up

Just did our entire house, 12 windows and 2 large sliders. Total was less than 10k . West central FL


.

living overseas 11-06-2019 03:01 AM

I found a beach front house being torn down. It was full of higher end faux wood blinds and other window coverings, blinds, etc. I salvaged 30 or so blinds cut them with a fine tooth blade on the miter saw and covered everything in my house and garage. 30 or so windows total.

I wanted to do spray foam insulation on my garage. Just the attic was over 4K. I found a guy on Craigslist selling 4íx8í 3Ē thick sheets of poly Iso for $3/piece. I plan to adhere aluminim foil to the backs and touch it spray them to every nook in cranny in my shop. Total cost should be less than $200.

I am just saying with some patience and creativity you can save some cash. I love the champagne tase and beer budget comment. Thatís me. Thatís how my old man did it too. Trying to teach my kids that way.

normsworld 11-06-2019 06:44 AM


Originally Posted by living overseas (Post 13083590)
I found a beach front house being torn down. It was full of higher end faux wood blinds and other window coverings, blinds, etc. I salvaged 30 or so blinds cut them with a fine tooth blade on the miter saw and covered everything in my house and garage. 30 or so windows total.

I wanted to do spray foam insulation on my garage. Just the attic was over 4K. I found a guy on Craigslist selling 4íx8í 3Ē thick sheets of poly Iso for $3/piece. I plan to adhere aluminim foil to the backs and touch it spray them to every nook in cranny in my shop. Total cost should be less than $200.

I am just saying with some patience and creativity you can save some cash. I love the champagne tase and beer budget comment. Thatís me. Thatís how my old man did it too. Trying to teach my kids that way.

I just saw something that said the Alu. foil needs atleast a 1/2" air space to be effective . If it's up tight next to something it's useless . I personally don't know for sure .

living overseas 11-06-2019 07:09 AM

Thatís right
 
You need the airspace and ventilation for the hot air to escape. I plan to block it with scrap wood to ensure the airspace.

thanks for the heads up!

Rival1 11-06-2019 07:16 AM

Hydro flask costs $40. Itís a water bottle.

GravyBoat 11-06-2019 07:29 AM


Originally Posted by caltexflanc (Post 13082799)
If you value your time and aggravation at zero, DIY is always way cheaper. Everyone has their own algorithm for that decision.

Sometimes the time and aggravation of dealing with a professional is greater than just DIY.

captpepin 11-06-2019 09:59 AM

It's all about "Local Skilled Labor" if anything requires "Local Skilled Labor" it's going to cost you and it probably should. What's it cost for a guy just to show up at your house to look at a refrigerator that is not working? Think about it the owner had to pay Insurance, Workers comp, govt license, the truck, the tools, training, gas, etc, etc. It's really hard to make money in a "Throw Away" society.

As soon as anything can be automated, build or grown in a factory the cost drops and drops with zero inflation.

I'm sure at least 60% the cost of the "Window" treatment quote was instillation labor and the "Decorator's Profit"


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.