Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

sticker shock on non-boating things

Notices

sticker shock on non-boating things

Old 11-02-2019, 07:39 PM
  #21  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marco Island, FL
Posts: 3,483
Likes: 0
Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
Default

I'm currently involved in a home automation project to control new motorized shades in a customers house. The shades are around $250,000. The automation is extra.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:19 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 103
Received 160 Likes on 90 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bjm9818 View Post


Pound of chicken for $2? Is it still walking around with feathers?
I can get a 10lb bag of leg quarters for $6. I lose a pound or so trimming fat and excess skin but they're usually pretty meaty pieces.

I don't think eggs have increased in price since I've been an adult and I'm 56.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:16 PM
  #23  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,463
Received 126 Likes on 93 Posts
Default

My wife and I are finally looking at houses with some space (haven't bought anything yet)....I want to build a 35' x 40' shop/boat garage with ~500 SF. upstairs in half of it for the inlaws when the visit. I'd love to buy a metal building but that won't fly in this neighborhood - gotta be approved (visually attractive too). Met with a local architect to see what he thinks he could get approved and he said budget $375/sf. for living space and $225/SF for garage space...quick math and I my jaw dropped.

​​​​​
Old 11-02-2019, 09:22 PM
  #24  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,441
Received 510 Likes on 288 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HDRyder999 View Post
I'm currently involved in a home automation project to control new motorized shades in a customers house. The shades are around $250,000. The automation is extra.
Crazy

Originally Posted by starbright55 View Post
My wife and I are finally looking at houses with some space (haven't bought anything yet)....I want to build a 35' x 40' shop/boat garage with ~500 SF. upstairs in half of it for the inlaws when the visit. I'd love to buy a metal building but that won't fly in this neighborhood - gotta be approved (visually attractive too). Met with a local architect to see what he thinks he could get approved and he said budget $375/sf. for living space and $225/SF for garage space...quick math and I my jaw dropped. ​​​​​
More crazy
Old 11-03-2019, 01:08 AM
  #25  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 18,387
Received 802 Likes on 397 Posts
Default

$7 for a draft beer is common.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:15 AM
  #26  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 139
Received 109 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LI Sound Grunt View Post
$7 for a draft beer is common.
And the WHOLE keg is only $50 at retail $! But hey, they have to pay that electric bill for keeping the suds cold.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:41 AM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Delmarva
Posts: 707
Received 506 Likes on 286 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HDRyder999 View Post
I'm currently involved in a home automation project to control new motorized shades in a customers house. The shades are around $250,000. The automation is extra.
i did a residential service call on an ice machine in a house “local” around here.

House was 33,000 sf + or - , 13 Bedrooms and 15 bathrooms
And everything in this house was a $$$$ is no issue just make it happen. They had a Scotsman under counter ice machine in their kitchen and their complaint was could hear it running when sitting at center island /bar 6’ away and it annoyed them.....;? This house had (6) ice machines scattered thru the house on different floors and rooms

some people are capable of this kinda lifestyle
Old 11-03-2019, 03:39 AM
  #28  
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 17,975
Received 2,803 Likes on 1,513 Posts
Default

If you look at almost everything. Middlemen are the infusion of excess cost.

Mfg>Dist>Dealer>You

What you want to try and do is get as close to the source as you can.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:55 AM
  #29  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 13,971
Received 9,089 Likes on 4,887 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Baldilox01 View Post

And the WHOLE keg is only $50 at retail $! But hey, they have to pay that electric bill for keeping the suds cold.
price checked that lately. Way more than it was even 10 years ago.

also, restaurants typically pay more for beer from the distributor than they can buy the same thing for at retail.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:50 AM
  #30  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Posts: 1,396
Received 728 Likes on 324 Posts
Default

Artwork. Sonos. Hunting rifles. Rare wines.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:13 AM
  #31  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location:
Posts: 4,437
Received 1,811 Likes on 955 Posts
Default

A can of American blue crab meat, not the pelagic asian blue crab
Old 11-03-2019, 11:49 AM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 427
Likes: 0
Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts
Default

Everything is expensive these days. My last Rolex was $20,000 in stainless steel. I am going to buy a new spotting scope tomorrow and it will be over $6000!
Old 11-03-2019, 11:51 AM
  #33  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,255
Received 3,293 Likes on 1,477 Posts
Default

The property tax bill on my cars always gets me. A $33,000 car gets a $425 tax bill, it’s crazy.

Prices of new cars if you want something besides a Camry are through the roof. I see $100K cars and SUVs everywhere. Prices of new trucks are stupid high and prices of used Diesel trucks always get me.

As someone mentioned above Sonos prices are stupid high and I’ll put Apple products in that category too.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:56 AM
  #34  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central, FL
Posts: 13,076
Received 3,087 Likes on 1,455 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by On the Half Shell View Post
Some things are just so ridiculas I don't see how they stay in business. I'm sure everyone has been blindsided at one time or another but this happened to me yesterday....

My wife wants to replace our window blinds with something more in style so she had a local company that does window treatments come by and give us an estimate on new fabric roller shades, drapes, and a couple of valances to hide the hardware. After "discounts", 16 windows total and the quote was $11,300! If I didn't go with motoraized (w/ remote) shades the bill would still be over $10,000.

I figured $3500 but $11,300? The drapes and valances for 5 windows alone were over $6,000.

The guy even admitted it has no return on investmet as only plantation shutters have some return. Fortunately the wife sees this as absurd too.
Business license, warehouse rent, insurance, tools, truck and insurance, Knowledge & Experience, free time up front dealing with clients all equals $$$ .Then there's that pesky "profit" so the guy can pay his mortgage, insurance, light bill, and put food on his family's table...;.

....Or YOU could take all the measurements, go to Lowes, or Home Depot and buy the shades and valances. Then take more measurements and take them to an upholstery shop to have them make the drapery. Then go pick up everything, bring it home, and install it yourself while saving a ton of money!
Easy Peasy!!
Old 11-03-2019, 12:10 PM
  #35  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,364
Received 518 Likes on 300 Posts
Default

Muffin and a cup of coffee...$8
Old 11-03-2019, 12:12 PM
  #36  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,364
Received 518 Likes on 300 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by On the Half Shell View Post
Some things are just so ridiculas I don't see how they stay in business. I'm sure everyone has been blindsided at one time or another but this happened to me yesterday....

My wife wants to replace our window blinds with something more in style so she had a local company that does window treatments come by and give us an estimate on new fabric roller shades, drapes, and a couple of valances to hide the hardware. After "discounts", 16 windows total and the quote was $11,300! If I didn't go with motoraized (w/ remote) shades the bill would still be over $10,000.

I figured $3500 but $11,300? The drapes and valances for 5 windows alone were over $6,000.

The guy even admitted it has no return on investmet as only plantation shutters have some return. Fortunately the wife sees this as absurd too.
Try Blinds-to-Go or Budget-Blinds..
Old 11-03-2019, 12:28 PM
  #37  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North Palm Beach
Posts: 1,626
Received 242 Likes on 123 Posts
Default

I recently priced a new set of impact windows, 14 openings nothing larger than about 36 x 60, half dozen were very small openings. $70K, but if I bought today there's a 25% discount.

Needless to say the shutters will continue to go up
Old 11-03-2019, 12:32 PM
  #38  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lewes, DE
Posts: 10,952
Received 2,978 Likes on 1,586 Posts
Default

Good furniture is asininely expensive.

Blinds are insane too. When I tell clients to consider it a $10k cost difference between houses they laugh and act like I am kidding.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:20 PM
  #39  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Tampa
Posts: 330
Received 181 Likes on 118 Posts
Default

I ordered my window “treatments” from Sears online for $12.

Open them they let the sun in,close them they block the sun,if we are going to discuss real world problems has anybody else seen the price of a new Rolls Royce?

I usually buy a new one with cash every year but now I have to stick with the old last years model because of the price increase.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:42 PM
  #40  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,441
Received 510 Likes on 288 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jus Teasin View Post
Business license, warehouse rent, insurance, tools, truck and insurance, Knowledge & Experience, free time up front dealing with clients all equals $$$ .Then there's that pesky "profit" so the guy can pay his mortgage, insurance, light bill, and put food on his family's table...;.

....Or YOU could take all the measurements, go to Lowes, or Home Depot and buy the shades and valances. Then take more measurements and take them to an upholstery shop to have them make the drapery. Then go pick up everything, bring it home, and install it yourself while saving a ton of money!
Easy Peasy!!
Well he's not staying in business off of me. I took all the measurements and have all the tools. I will be building the valances myself. Wife will have to find drapes. I haven't figured out where else to get the shades though, these are not Lowes / HD stuff.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.