The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Dockside Chat (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat-18/)
-   -   sticker shock on non-boating things (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/1045422-sticker-shock-non-boating-things.html)

HDRyder999 11-02-2019 08:39 PM

I'm currently involved in a home automation project to control new motorized shades in a customers house. The shades are around $250,000. The automation is extra.

wiscoarborist 11-02-2019 09:19 PM


Originally Posted by bjm9818 (Post 13074970)


Pound of chicken for $2? Is it still walking around with feathers?

I can get a 10lb bag of leg quarters for $6. I lose a pound or so trimming fat and excess skin but they're usually pretty meaty pieces.

I don't think eggs have increased in price since I've been an adult and I'm 56.

starbright55 11-02-2019 10:16 PM

My wife and I are finally looking at houses with some space (haven't bought anything yet)....I want to build a 35' x 40' shop/boat garage with ~500 SF. upstairs in half of it for the inlaws when the visit. I'd love to buy a metal building but that won't fly in this neighborhood - gotta be approved (visually attractive too). Met with a local architect to see what he thinks he could get approved and he said budget $375/sf. for living space and $225/SF for garage space...quick math and I my jaw dropped.

​​​​​

On the Half Shell 11-02-2019 10:22 PM


Originally Posted by HDRyder999 (Post 13075379)
I'm currently involved in a home automation project to control new motorized shades in a customers house. The shades are around $250,000. The automation is extra.

Crazy


Originally Posted by starbright55 (Post 13075470)
My wife and I are finally looking at houses with some space (haven't bought anything yet)....I want to build a 35' x 40' shop/boat garage with ~500 SF. upstairs in half of it for the inlaws when the visit. I'd love to buy a metal building but that won't fly in this neighborhood - gotta be approved (visually attractive too). Met with a local architect to see what he thinks he could get approved and he said budget $375/sf. for living space and $225/SF for garage space...quick math and I my jaw dropped. ​​​​​

More crazy

LI Sound Grunt 11-03-2019 02:08 AM

$7 for a draft beer is common.

Baldilox01 11-03-2019 02:15 AM


Originally Posted by LI Sound Grunt (Post 13075546)
$7 for a draft beer is common.

And the WHOLE keg is only $50 at retail $! But hey, they have to pay that electric bill for keeping the suds cold.

Mak232 11-03-2019 02:41 AM


Originally Posted by HDRyder999 (Post 13075379)
I'm currently involved in a home automation project to control new motorized shades in a customers house. The shades are around $250,000. The automation is extra.

i did a residential service call on an ice machine in a house “local” around here.

House was 33,000 sf + or - , 13 Bedrooms and 15 bathrooms
And everything in this house was a $$$$ is no issue just make it happen. They had a Scotsman under counter ice machine in their kitchen and their complaint was could hear it running when sitting at center island /bar 6’ away and it annoyed them.....;? This house had (6) ice machines scattered thru the house on different floors and rooms

some people are capable of this kinda lifestyle

OldPete 11-03-2019 04:39 AM

If you look at almost everything. Middlemen are the infusion of excess cost.

Mfg>Dist>Dealer>You

What you want to try and do is get as close to the source as you can.

autobaun70 11-03-2019 04:55 AM


Originally Posted by Baldilox01 (Post 13075550)

And the WHOLE keg is only $50 at retail $! But hey, they have to pay that electric bill for keeping the suds cold.

price checked that lately. Way more than it was even 10 years ago.

also, restaurants typically pay more for beer from the distributor than they can buy the same thing for at retail.

Burgmane 11-03-2019 11:50 AM

Artwork. Sonos. Hunting rifles. Rare wines.

FishnDive 11-03-2019 12:13 PM

A can of American blue crab meat, not the pelagic asian blue crab

oneoverpar 11-03-2019 12:49 PM

Everything is expensive these days. My last Rolex was $20,000 in stainless steel. I am going to buy a new spotting scope tomorrow and it will be over $6000!

Lorne Greene 11-03-2019 12:51 PM

The property tax bill on my cars always gets me. A $33,000 car gets a $425 tax bill, it’s crazy.

Prices of new cars if you want something besides a Camry are through the roof. I see $100K cars and SUVs everywhere. Prices of new trucks are stupid high and prices of used Diesel trucks always get me.

As someone mentioned above Sonos prices are stupid high and I’ll put Apple products in that category too.

Jus Teasin 11-03-2019 12:56 PM


Originally Posted by On the Half Shell (Post 13074279)
Some things are just so ridiculas I don't see how they stay in business. I'm sure everyone has been blindsided at one time or another but this happened to me yesterday....

My wife wants to replace our window blinds with something more in style so she had a local company that does window treatments come by and give us an estimate on new fabric roller shades, drapes, and a couple of valances to hide the hardware. After "discounts", 16 windows total and the quote was $11,300! If I didn't go with motoraized (w/ remote) shades the bill would still be over $10,000.

I figured $3500 but $11,300? The drapes and valances for 5 windows alone were over $6,000.

The guy even admitted it has no return on investmet as only plantation shutters have some return. Fortunately the wife sees this as absurd too.

Business license, warehouse rent, insurance, tools, truck and insurance, Knowledge & Experience, free time up front dealing with clients all equals $$$ .Then there's that pesky "profit" so the guy can pay his mortgage, insurance, light bill, and put food on his family's table...;.

....Or YOU could take all the measurements, go to Lowes, or Home Depot and buy the shades and valances. Then take more measurements and take them to an upholstery shop to have them make the drapery. Then go pick up everything, bring it home, and install it yourself while saving a ton of money!
Easy Peasy!! :thumbsup:

HS2300 11-03-2019 01:10 PM

Muffin and a cup of coffee...$8

HS2300 11-03-2019 01:12 PM


Originally Posted by On the Half Shell (Post 13074279)
Some things are just so ridiculas I don't see how they stay in business. I'm sure everyone has been blindsided at one time or another but this happened to me yesterday....

My wife wants to replace our window blinds with something more in style so she had a local company that does window treatments come by and give us an estimate on new fabric roller shades, drapes, and a couple of valances to hide the hardware. After "discounts", 16 windows total and the quote was $11,300! If I didn't go with motoraized (w/ remote) shades the bill would still be over $10,000.

I figured $3500 but $11,300? The drapes and valances for 5 windows alone were over $6,000.

The guy even admitted it has no return on investmet as only plantation shutters have some return. Fortunately the wife sees this as absurd too.

Try Blinds-to-Go or Budget-Blinds..

Liveactionfishing 11-03-2019 01:28 PM

I recently priced a new set of impact windows, 14 openings nothing larger than about 36 x 60, half dozen were very small openings. $70K, but if I bought today there's a 25% discount.

Needless to say the shutters will continue to go up

TorFed 11-03-2019 01:32 PM

Good furniture is asininely expensive.

Blinds are insane too. When I tell clients to consider it a $10k cost difference between houses they laugh and act like I am kidding.

Rjh1960 11-03-2019 03:20 PM

I ordered my window “treatments” from Sears online for $12.

Open them they let the sun in,close them they block the sun,if we are going to discuss real world problems has anybody else seen the price of a new Rolls Royce?

I usually buy a new one with cash every year but now I have to stick with the old last years model because of the price increase.

On the Half Shell 11-03-2019 05:42 PM


Originally Posted by Jus Teasin (Post 13076630)
Business license, warehouse rent, insurance, tools, truck and insurance, Knowledge & Experience, free time up front dealing with clients all equals $$$ .Then there's that pesky "profit" so the guy can pay his mortgage, insurance, light bill, and put food on his family's table...;.

....Or YOU could take all the measurements, go to Lowes, or Home Depot and buy the shades and valances. Then take more measurements and take them to an upholstery shop to have them make the drapery. Then go pick up everything, bring it home, and install it yourself while saving a ton of money!
Easy Peasy!! :thumbsup:

Well he's not staying in business off of me. I took all the measurements and have all the tools. I will be building the valances myself. Wife will have to find drapes. I haven't figured out where else to get the shades though, these are not Lowes / HD stuff.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.