Notices

Deer stand views

Old 10-29-2019, 07:00 PM
  #1  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: anderson, sc
Posts: 19,252
Received 1,429 Likes on 823 Posts
Default Deer stand views

This is an ongoing thread on another site I am on and pretty interesting

Here is my spot at my SIL/Daughters small tract (50 acres ) of land that is near our house. See a LOT of does there but not many bucks but is nice quick place I can hunt before work or a quick pm hunt. I park in front of an old barn and walk about 50 yards and climb up in my box stand

Food plot is oats, clover and turnips (not looking great yet since it has been so dry up until week ago.



Old 10-29-2019, 07:07 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,085
Received 9,146 Likes on 4,924 Posts
Default

Be careful in stands. Guy that passed in Spartanburg yesterday was a family friend.

https://www.wspa.com/news/death-inve...partanburg-co/
Old 10-29-2019, 07:07 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: pascagoula,ms
Posts: 9,486
Received 1,973 Likes on 979 Posts
Default

I sit on porch. They walk the levee to eat and then drink.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:21 PM
  #4  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: anderson, sc
Posts: 19,252
Received 1,429 Likes on 823 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
Be careful in stands. Guy that passed in Spartanburg yesterday was a family friend.

https://www.wspa.com/news/death-inve...partanburg-co/

Just saw that man, terrible.

I am to the point all I hunt now are box stands other than when we go to IL for slug gun season and use ladder stands then and YES i ALWAYS wear a harness when in ladder stands . Have not used my climber (Lone Wolf ) in several years.

Most any deer hunter THINKS this CAN NOT HAPPEN TO THEM however one of the most experienced deer hunters I knew died the exact same way few years back. He actually was a cameraman for Bill Jordans Realtree tv show , realized then if it could happen to Mike it could happen to ME

Prayers to the family
Old 10-29-2019, 07:57 PM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mount Vernon, WA
Posts: 55
Likes: 0
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

Forestry Forum?
Old 10-29-2019, 08:10 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Where the sun don't shine
Posts: 567
Likes: 0
Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts
Default


I’ve not made it to my farm yet this year to hunt. So I don’t have a pic yet from my stand. But this was sent to me this morning from my cellular trail camera. Hopefully I get a little time to hunt this Fall.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:57 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 674
Likes: 0
Received 713 Likes on 441 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tprice View Post
This is an ongoing thread on another site I am on and pretty interesting

Here is my spot at my SIL/Daughters small tract (50 acres ) of land that is near our house. See a LOT of does there but not many bucks but is nice quick place I can hunt before work or a quick pm hunt. I park in front of an old barn and walk about 50 yards and climb up in my box stand

Food plot is oats, clover and turnips (not looking great yet since it has been so dry up until week ago.



looks like the pigs were rooting up things even in the dry weather, or is that just dead grass
Old 10-30-2019, 05:49 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 286
Received 455 Likes on 191 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
Be careful in stands. Guy that passed in Spartanburg yesterday was a family friend.

https://www.wspa.com/news/death-inve...partanburg-co/
Parade Urinator, is that you?
Old 10-30-2019, 06:24 AM
  #9  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: anderson, sc
Posts: 19,252
Received 1,429 Likes on 823 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 99yam40 View Post
looks like the pigs were rooting up things even in the dry weather, or is that just dead grass

OH YEA, tons of pigs out here. Shoot a few every year.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:41 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 24
Received 96 Likes on 39 Posts
Default


Screened in back porch
Old 10-31-2019, 04:39 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberPLEDGERPLEDGERCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: ATL & SAV
Posts: 12,351
Likes: 0
Received 2,003 Likes on 989 Posts
Default

Interesting timing on the deer stand safety concerns. Today I helped a neighbor take out 10ft of a deer stand used by a 77 yo hunter. He now has only 5ft off the ground but it will work.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:05 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,085
Received 9,146 Likes on 4,924 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tireless View Post
Interesting timing on the deer stand safety concerns. Today I helped a neighbor take out 10ft of a deer stand used by a 77 yo hunter. He now has only 5ft off the ground but it will work.
good call. Guy that died here had more time in the woods than probably anyone I know. They think he fell asleep and fell out. Lock on stand with tree spikes is my understanding.

One of my cousins is in process of building a box stand, and actually putting a staircase on it so he can hunt it into old age.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:05 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberPLEDGERPLEDGERCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: ATL & SAV
Posts: 12,351
Likes: 0
Received 2,003 Likes on 989 Posts
Default

Our lazy man stand. FWIW we made stairs to reach the platform





.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:13 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Algonac michigan
Posts: 6,122
Received 1,080 Likes on 591 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post


good call. Guy that died here had more time in the woods than probably anyone I know. They think he fell asleep and fell out. Lock on stand with tree spikes is my understanding.

One of my cousins is in process of building a box stand, and actually putting a staircase on it so he can hunt it into old age.
Here in Standish Michigan a friend of my son that I coached in little league fell from his tree stand and broke both his back and his neck.He had some extensive surgery this week that supposedly went well.We are all praying for his recovery.Currently paralyzed from the chest down.38 years old with 5 young daughters. Harnesses save lives.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:16 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,085
Received 9,146 Likes on 4,924 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by muskamoot View Post
Here in Standish Michigan a friend of my son that I coached in little league fell from his tree stand and broke both his back and his neck.He had some extensive surgery this week that supposedly went well.We are all praying for his recovery.Currently paralyzed from the chest down.38 years old with 5 young daughters. Harnesses save lives.
For sure. One of my favorite teachers in HS did similar. His fall occurred while he was on the ladder going up. His is waste down and he gets around good and is able to drive, but life changing for certain. I've lost all desire to get overly high. I used to think nothing about hanging a lock on stand way up in a tree. No more for me.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:11 PM
  #16  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: anderson, sc
Posts: 19,252
Received 1,429 Likes on 823 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tireless View Post
Our lazy man stand. FWIW we made stairs to reach the platform





.


Got a couple of those, this is my favorite.






Old 11-05-2019, 06:52 PM
  #17  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

Old 11-05-2019, 06:59 PM
  #18  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NoAL
Posts: 86
Likes: 0
Received 132 Likes on 52 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cmartin4 View Post
Choot 'em!
Old 11-05-2019, 08:01 PM
  #19  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Flounderrr View Post
Choot 'em!
Yeah I may have underestimated him until too late. Walked 10 yards by stand. That was a shot from the video I took. It was pretty cool. Hope he makes it to next year! Or that I don’t see him again...
Old 11-05-2019, 09:22 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location:
Posts: 111
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.