Notices

A good, quality fillet knife.

Old 10-27-2019, 02:31 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Creek Village
Posts: 5,087
Received 253 Likes on 140 Posts
Default A good, quality fillet knife.

Dad has a neighbor, that has done so much for them, over the years. He'd like to get him a fillet knife for Christmas. The neighbor fishes, a LOT.

We watch Deer Meat For Dinner on Youtube, and saw his Silver Stag knives. They look to be of good quality, but he needs a longer blade. Silver Stag has two 9" options, but they have antler handles. Dad would like to find a knife with a normal handle.

What do y'all use/prefer?

We also know of a Bubba, but all their handles aren't wood.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:37 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Amongst the FL fishies
Posts: 7,015
Received 1,264 Likes on 680 Posts
Default

i'm in the process of building one for myself. usaknifemakers supplies. I build rods, so knife building js new. I've replace handles on my meat carving knives and they turned out well.
I'msure a home built one would be special.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:06 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 708
Received 789 Likes on 252 Posts
Default

https://www.knifemerchant.com/produc...productID=7624
Old 10-27-2019, 05:13 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Stuart Fl
Posts: 475
Received 1,232 Likes on 411 Posts
Default

Cutco , the only knife to own .
Old 10-27-2019, 05:17 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Summerfield/Beaufort NC
Posts: 1,437
Received 154 Likes on 81 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Smitty 45 View Post
Cutco , the only knife to own .
Mine has lasted longer than any I have owned.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:26 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,063
Received 755 Likes on 408 Posts
Default

No complaints with all my Dexter knives, they aren't fancy but hold an edge and get the job done.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:31 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 4,879
Received 2,903 Likes on 1,381 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TurnMeLooseFLKeys View Post
Dad has a neighbor, that has done so much for them, over the years. He'd like to get him a fillet knife for Christmas. The neighbor fishes, a LOT.

We watch Deer Meat For Dinner on Youtube, and saw his Silver Stag knives. They look to be of good quality, but he needs a longer blade. Silver Stag has two 9" options, but they have antler handles. Dad would like to find a knife with a normal handle.

What do y'all use/prefer?

We also know of a Bubba, but all their handles aren't wood.
Are you looking for an expensive knife or an effective filet knife?

Dexter makes great knives, not show pieces and not expensive but they’re great for cutting fish, hold edge well and sharpen easily. If you’re looking to spend more then $20 what a single Dexter costs, you can buy a roll or block that will feature an assortment of Dexter Knives.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:38 PM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 71
Received 74 Likes on 41 Posts
Default

Mora makes nice fillet knives in both less expensive and more expensive versions. Dexter are workhorses too.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:39 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 708
Received 789 Likes on 252 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mpellet View Post


Are you looking for an expensive knife or an effective filet knife?

Dexter makes great knives, not show pieces and not expensive but they’re great for cutting fish, hold edge well and sharpen easily. If you’re looking to spend more then $20 what a single Dexter costs, you can buy a roll or block that will feature an assortment of Dexter Knives.
The silver stak knives he mentioned are between $130 & $190.....
Old 10-27-2019, 05:50 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Stuart Fl
Posts: 475
Received 1,232 Likes on 411 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by good stuff View Post
Mine has lasted longer than any I have owned.
They're guaranteed for life !
I forgot to rinse mine once so it rusted and they replaced it for free .
Send it in and they sharpen it for free , you just pay to ship it .
I own two of them , plus a hunting knife .
The hunting knife is the sharpest blade I've ever used to clean a deer .
Nothing will compare to how long it holds a edge .
Old 10-27-2019, 05:52 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: North of Cuber, South of Jawga
Posts: 697
Received 467 Likes on 249 Posts
Default

This would be an excellent gift to fit the bill. Great knives in a gift set.

Dexter is great also, I just haven't seen them in a nice gift set.

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-27-2019, 06:00 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,953
Received 1,484 Likes on 795 Posts
Default

C U S T O M if willing to pay for it

Edit: Found a custom maker in Florida, and with some research I"m sure some more options could be found.

https://www.doghouseforge.com/outdoor

Last edited by N2theblue; 10-27-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:42 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,082
Likes: 0
Received 452 Likes on 275 Posts
Default

My second favorite fillet knife is a Kershaw. I also own Rapalas, Dexters, and Bubba knives. But my favorite fillet knife hands down is the Cutco Fisherman's Solution.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:48 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Alaska
Posts: 527
Received 317 Likes on 161 Posts
Default

https://www.gunterwilhelm.com/cutler...fe-filet-knife
Old 10-27-2019, 06:51 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 274
Received 251 Likes on 111 Posts
Default

the Fishermans solution on amazon 179$ same knife on Cutco site 103$. wow always look around before buying
Old 10-27-2019, 07:35 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perdido Key
Posts: 6,353
Received 461 Likes on 333 Posts
Default

Dexter nothing fancy but been happy with them. I buy about 3 per year.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:36 PM
  #17  
KJS
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Where I go, there I am
Posts: 16,796
Likes: 0
Received 957 Likes on 512 Posts
Default

Seems Cutco has a big following. I actually like those wooden handled ones that you can find at any fishing store.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:48 PM
  #18  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: The South Pacific
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Svord 9” fillet knife.

Google it because I haven’t written enough posts to be allowed to post a URL.

Svord make the most affordable, truely superlative quality knives on earth. Their 9” fillet is the one, particularly the wooden handles version. For a gift, you can get the cutler (Bryan Baker) to engrave it for you and he does a beautiful job. They’re made in NZ, so it’s unlikely you’ll find a retailer which carries them where you are but the turnaround time for shipping is pretty good in most of the world.

The little svord peasant knife I got for less than $20, a few years ago, is the most durable and dependable tool I own. I bought it as a disposable utility knife when I needed to dismantle the interior of a 47’ steel yacht - I cut miles of epoxy glue lines, treating it like a chisel and decapitating hundreds (maybe thousands) of stainless screws. I was so impressed with its performance that it now lives in my pocket and will shave the hairs off my arm without drama.

Since that first peasant knife, I’ve introduced a lot of people to Svord. There’s been countless boaties and fishermen, hunters, chefs, soldiers... even one surgeon (yeah, a real butcher). Every one who’s given them a go has gone on to use that blade as their go to knife, in favour of far more expensive and hyped items. I reckon, if you get one for your neighbour, you’ll be so impressed that you’ll get a few for your own use because there really isn’t any good reason not to, for the price.

I do not, have never and will never have any financial interest in Svord or B.W Baker, except for the $100 or so I’ve spent on their products. It’s just a firmly held belief I have that they are the best damn edged tools on the planet.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:00 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,953
Received 1,484 Likes on 795 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Budgetadvisoryservice View Post
Google it because I haven’t written enough posts to be allowed to post a URL.

Svord make the most affordable, truely superlative quality knives on earth. Their 9” fillet is the one, particularly the wooden handles version. For a gift, you can get the cutler (Bryan Baker) to engrave it for you and he does a beautiful job. They’re made in NZ, so it’s unlikely you’ll find a retailer which carries them where you are but the turnaround time for shipping is pretty good in most of the world.

The little svord peasant knife I got for less than $20, a few years ago, is the most durable and dependable tool I own. I bought it as a disposable utility knife when I needed to dismantle the interior of a 47’ steel yacht - I cut miles of epoxy glue lines, treating it like a chisel and decapitating hundreds (maybe thousands) of stainless screws. I was so impressed with its performance that it now lives in my pocket and will shave the hairs off my arm without drama.

Since that first peasant knife, I’ve introduced a lot of people to Svord. There’s been countless boaties and fishermen, hunters, chefs, soldiers... even one surgeon (yeah, a real butcher). Every one who’s given them a go has gone on to use that blade as their go to knife, in favour of far more expensive and hyped items. I reckon, if you get one for your neighbour, you’ll be so impressed that you’ll get a few for your own use because there really isn’t any good reason not to, for the price.

I do not, have never and will never have any financial interest in Svord or B.W Baker, except for the $100 or so I’ve spent on their products. It’s just a firmly held belief I have that they are the best damn edged tools on the planet.
15N20, which it looks like they use in a number of their knives, is a fantastic knife steel. Most custom makers use it in their damascus blends, typically 15N20 and a 10 series (when acid etched, the 15N20 stays bright and the 10 series will turn dark, showing off the pattern)
Old 10-27-2019, 08:07 PM
  #20  
THT SponsorCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wisconsin And Marathon,Fl
Posts: 8,881
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,080 Posts
Default

Also a Dexter knives fan, Besides making an outstanding knife, the big guy that runs the place is a member here.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.