Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

I think I can definitely get massively flamed for this one! Riding bikes with the...

Notices

I think I can definitely get massively flamed for this one! Riding bikes with the...

Old 10-22-2019, 06:45 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,010
Received 2,809 Likes on 1,519 Posts
Question I think I can definitely get massively flamed for this one! Riding bikes with the...

I know - before I even post this - that I'm going to get absolutely HAMMERED in this thread - and that is OK. But I've wanted to ask for a long time.

Family and I ride, what I think - for a family like ours - is a lot of time of our bicycles. A "short and quick" ride is 25 miles... and something more formidable is 50 miles. I think at this stage in the game we can probably ride 70 if the wind isn't coming at us on either leg. (This past weekend's trip was 50 miles - with the return 25 being into 20MPH gusts. It wasn't easy!).

Wife, Myself, and two extremely athletic kids (9 & 11). Kids have zero issue -- it's the old man mostly. LOL. Wife can ride like the kids, but isn't a fan of the wind - kids love the wind because, "this is more challenging than just riding".

So... humble-brag that I'm proud of my little family aside (and hoping to lessen the flame-blow)...

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why we are forced to ride WITH the traffic on a bicycle??? IMHO it is horrible. I can't see the people behind me (yeah, mirror helps, but I can't always be focused on my mirror - need to look ahead!!)... and you have to "trust" the asshole behind you is going to give you space. When I/we are riding INTO the traffic, it's great. I can see from 1/2 mile down the road what the asshole up there is doing. Is he going too fast? Is he too close to the shoulder? Looking down at phone? If it looks unsafe - no problem, I can go just roll out and I'm good.

If that same asshole is behind me, and he's looking down at his phone, I'm a dead. Bike will lose the fight every single time.

This is mostly when we're on a busier road with no side-streets... you're forced to ride "with the traffic" because there will be other bicyclists coming the other way, and they aren't going to love you if you are coming at them. One solution is to ride and then pull over for the "correct" rider to pass you, but there are times, when that is just not practical. (for those that ride in South Florida, the particular stretch that made me want to post this is from Boyton Inlet, North to East Ocean Ave (no side walks)... but it doesn't matter if you don't know the area...)

I just don't understand the logic (sincerely) of wanting to put what can kill you at an approach BEHIND you where you can't see it. I would FAR rather have something that can kill me IN FRONT of me so that I have a fighting chance to react. Think about it. If you are rear-ended in a motor vehicle accident, who is almost always at fault??? The car from behind. So... why would I intentionally want to put myself in that position when I'm riding on a bicycle and don't have 2000lbs of sheet metal to protect me?

Ok. I'm ready. Light me up. If I learn from it, I'm happy.


Old 10-22-2019, 06:47 AM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 74
Likes: 0
Received 163 Likes on 59 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
I know - before I even post this - that I'm going to get absolutely HAMMERED in this thread - and that is OK. But I've wanted to ask for a long time.

Family and I ride, what I think - for a family like ours - is a lot of time of our bicycles. A "short and quick" ride is 25 miles... and something more formidable is 50 miles. I think at this stage in the game we can probably ride 70 if the wind isn't coming at us on either leg. (This past weekend's trip was 50 miles - with the return 25 being into 20MPH gusts. It wasn't easy!).

Wife, Myself, and two extremely athletic kids (9 & 11). Kids have zero issue -- it's the old man mostly. LOL. Wife can ride like the kids, but isn't a fan of the wind - kids love the wind because, "this is more challenging than just riding".

So... humble-brag that I'm proud of my little family aside (and hoping to lessen the flame-blow)...

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why we are forced to ride WITH the traffic on a bicycle??? IMHO it is horrible. I can't see the people behind me (yeah, mirror helps, but I can't always be focused on my mirror - need to look ahead!!)... and you have to "trust" the asshole behind you is going to give you space. When I/we are riding INTO the traffic, it's great. I can see from 1/2 mile down the road what the asshole up there is doing. Is he going too fast? Is he too close to the shoulder? Looking down at phone? If it looks unsafe - no problem, I can go just roll out and I'm good.

If that same asshole is behind me, and he's looking down at his phone, I'm a dead. Bike will lose the fight every single time.

This is mostly when we're on a busier road with no side-streets... you're forced to ride "with the traffic" because there will be other bicyclists coming the other way, and they aren't going to love you if you are coming at them. One solution is to ride and then pull over for the "correct" rider to pass you, but there are times, when that is just not practical. (for those that ride in South Florida, the particular stretch that made me want to post this is from Boyton Inlet, North to East Ocean Ave (no side walks)... but it doesn't matter if you don't know the area...)

I just don't understand the logic (sincerely) of wanting to put what can kill you at an approach BEHIND you where you can't see it. I would FAR rather have something that can kill me IN FRONT of me so that I have a fighting chance to react. Think about it. If you are rear-ended in a motor vehicle accident, who is almost always at fault??? The car from behind. So... why would I intentionally want to put myself in that position when I'm riding on a bicycle and don't have 2000lbs of sheet metal to protect me?

Ok. I'm ready. Light me up. If I learn from it, I'm happy.

Do you wear spandex and one of those pointy helmets?

Also do you ride four wide and block traffic?
Old 10-22-2019, 06:49 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,524
Received 143 Likes on 46 Posts
Default

because bikes are vehicles and follow rules made for vehicles
Old 10-22-2019, 06:50 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hewitt & Forked River, NJ
Posts: 3,314
Received 422 Likes on 200 Posts
Default

You're not riding on the road are you?
Don't you know bikes only belong in the basement, parking lots or playgrounds?
Old 10-22-2019, 06:53 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,208
Received 1,216 Likes on 621 Posts
Default

Here you go, Pete.

Old 10-22-2019, 06:56 AM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,095
Received 9,146 Likes on 4,924 Posts
Default

You're not required to ride with traffic. You can ride on bike trails and greenways like a sane person instead.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:59 AM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 90
Received 189 Likes on 119 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
You're not required to ride with traffic. You can ride on bike trails and greenways like a sane person instead.
and drivers could watch the road and quit being assholes like a responsible person.

I gave up cycling years ago. too dangerous. I used to do a hundred miles or more easily during the week. Sad fact is at least half the drivers I pass daily in my 4K+ hunk of metal have their faces in their phones and crossing center and fog lines. Cycling isn't worth it anymore.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:59 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central, FL
Posts: 13,077
Received 3,106 Likes on 1,458 Posts
Default

It's probably better to NOT see the cars coming at you for one.
A bicycle in/on the road is legally considered a vehicle, so has to conform with laws pertaining to a vehicle.
People in cars at intersections and driveways are typically not expecting a "vehicle" coming from the right when they're making a right turn. Therefore they will be less likely to see you, or even be looking for you in the first place.
I rode every morning for years Sample and Federal to the Boynton Inlet, and I'll tell you from experience, it's far better to focus on what's in front of you, than worry about the vehicles that are passing you in the same direction. You'd be pulling off the road every 200 yards riding against traffic!!
Old 10-22-2019, 07:02 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Suffolk, Va.
Posts: 17,648
Likes: 0
Received 2,099 Likes on 1,068 Posts
Default

You can see someone is on their phone in their car from a 1/2 mile away?
Old 10-22-2019, 07:02 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Brookline, Ma.
Posts: 1,852
Received 1,053 Likes on 523 Posts
Default

Bicycles do NOT own the road. Cyclists should be made to purchase a license & registration like motorized vehicles and your OWN lanes.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:02 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,029
Received 747 Likes on 430 Posts
Default

You do realize that riding a bicycle, especially long distances can increase your risk for prostate cancer? https://www.texasoncology.com/media-...rostate-cancer
Old 10-22-2019, 07:03 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,095
Received 9,146 Likes on 4,924 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by wiread View Post
and drivers could watch the road and quit being assholes like a responsible person.

I gave up cycling years ago. too dangerous. I used to do a hundred miles or more easily during the week. Sad fact is at least half the drivers I pass daily in my 4K+ hunk of metal have their faces in their phones and crossing center and fog lines. Cycling isn't worth it anymore.
Don't disagree with that at all. Even if that were to happen, there are still plenty of situations where bikes simply do not belong. There is no safe way to ride on a high speed roadway sans bike lanes. None. To do so is blatant stupidity on the part of the participant operating significantly below the speed of traffic with no protection around them.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:07 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,042
Received 1,296 Likes on 629 Posts
Default

Hell no to the flame.

you sound like a good family man. Pocket protector, Bermuda shorts, blue socks with sandals, turtle shell glasses, short sleeve dress shirt with tie. I commend you on your family values. While most family men today are keeping up with the jones, portraying the joe cool image you are sporting the plaid shorts and flat top haircut. Good job..
Old 10-22-2019, 07:11 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Winter Garden, FL/ Tiger, GA/ Ft. Pierce, FL
Posts: 3,019
Received 523 Likes on 275 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tat2 View Post
because bikes are vehicles and follow rules made for vehicles
this depends on where you are from. Here in Florida especially central Florida the bikers think the road was made specifically for them. Never mind they have billion dollars worth of bike trails. It is a very rare occasion when I see a biker actually obey the traffic control devices. Why I hate them so much. What a privileged crowd they are.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:27 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,405
Received 3,338 Likes on 1,509 Posts
Default

Do what you want, ride where you want, you own the risk at the end of the day. It would be great if everyone paid better attention while driving but thats just not the case.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:35 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Claim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mt. Pleasant, SC
Posts: 1,062
Received 1,075 Likes on 475 Posts
Default

I hate you. You take your ride during rush hour on narrow two lane roads with no regard for people needing to get to work on time. You create big traffic back ups while people get stacked up behind you.

I will slow behind you until it is safe to pass you, I will give you half the road, I will not run over you. My blood pressure will go down. I wish I could be as skinny as you guys. Be safe, I hope the wrong person does not come up behind you.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:40 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: N.E. Tennessee
Posts: 472
Received 476 Likes on 204 Posts
Default

Oh, this thread will not end well.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:03 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 2,567
Received 1,072 Likes on 530 Posts
Default

I mostly ride mountain bikes but was occasionally riding road bikes. I've pretty much given that up except for urban type MTB rides which are mostly sidewalk and back road rides. Too many people on the road texting etc these days. If I take the road bike out into the wild it's to a rail trail.

I recently bought a cheap smart trainer and got on Zwift which is suprisingly entertaining for a pure workout type of ride. Keeps me off of the road and much easier to do quick workout rides, so far I like it way more than I thought.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:15 AM
  #19  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lighthouse Point
Posts: 5,591
Received 1,125 Likes on 739 Posts
Default

My brother rides against in NYC. I occasionally ride one block so as not to have to cross a street 2x on my usual circuit. It scare the crap out of me when a car approaches. It just seems wrong. I also see the terror on the driver's face.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:16 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 336
Received 401 Likes on 203 Posts
Default

Someone needs to design a bicycle that is power assisted and will go the speed limit when you peddle the bike with an appropriate force to get your workout.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.