Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Bought Tires and Rims from CARID - big mistake

Notices
Like Tree101Likes

Bought Tires and Rims from CARID - big mistake

Old 10-09-2019, 04:14 AM
  #41  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 9,093
Default

Originally Posted by Lprizman View Post
My tire mounter and balancing machines costs me over $10K used from Mac...when the internet buyers come in and bitch about $25 per tire to mount balance...I tell them go where you bought em!

When they ask to reset the tire light using my $6,500 SnapOn scanner for $35....they get the same response....equipment tools technology and my time costs $$$$

I sell new tires for $35 over my costs which include mounting balancing light reset and a vehicle inspection while in the air...mans gotta eat too!! Lobster once a year...I ain't greedy...I got a wall full of paper that people owe me...I could repower with a brand new Zuke 175 if I collected it all...
I have a buddy who owned a service station and he said the opposite, he didn't care. He would do the mount and balance for cash only, no reciept, that was his beer money. If you are selling tires for $35 over cost including mount and balance you are not making much off the tire sale anyway.
richinct is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 04:23 AM
  #42  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location:
Posts: 6,997
Default

We're always saying "support your local Mom and Pop gun stores", if you don't they'll go away.... What about our local tire guys??? Same analogy....
Bailey Boat is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 04:40 AM
  #43  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 231
Default

Originally Posted by Locke N Load View Post
No offense to anyone here, but the reason people like myself go to Tirerack is because of price and price alone. I bought 4 tires and had a local mechanic install them for $80. Saved I don't know how much from going to a local tire shop. I don't even bother getting quotes anymore. Last time it was over $100 cheaper to buy online.

As a test, I need new tires for my Ram 1500 soon. I want Nitto Terra Grappler G2's. Size is 275/60-R20. Feel free to PM me the out the door price installed.
Its certainly understandable, and obviously you are not alone. But isn't there more to getting a set of new tires than just price? 100 bucks is hardly worth the trouble of even having to handle the tires/load them up and bring them somewhere. On my last set of tires, I looked online to find the tires I wanted and then went to Tire Warehouse. I told him I found the tires I wanted and needed a price. Asked him if he could do a little better (didn't mention online price, but I'm sure he knew what I was getting at) and he did. Now the tires are warrantied through him. Free flat repair. Free rotations. It may not have been the absolute best PRICE, but it certainly is the best VALUE to get tires locally. At least that's my argument.
Basketcase is online now  
Old 10-09-2019, 04:40 AM
  #44  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 6,068
Default

I used Tire Rack a couple of times many years ago but then about 12-15 years ago I realized the local Discount Tire has basically the same prices as Tire Rack and they have provided excellent service so I use them exclusively now. I do research on TireRack.com and then purchase the tires locally at Discount Tire on 17/92 in Sanford.
Onewolf is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 04:52 AM
  #45  
Senior Member
 
Lprizman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 6,018
Default

Originally Posted by richinct View Post
I have a buddy who owned a service station and he said the opposite, he didn't care. He would do the mount and balance for cash only, no reciept, that was his beer money. If you are selling tires for $35 over cost including mount and balance you are not making much off the tire sale anyway.
.......your making his and my point
Fortunately I'm not strapped and the work I've done and do with quality parts for a 1\4 of the price other shops is for the joy of helping people mostly at this point.......like I said....I have a wall in the office covered in " I owe yous "

Great day all!!
Paul Barnard likes this.
Lprizman is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 05:06 AM
  #46  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location:
Posts: 2,103
Default

Originally Posted by Lprizman View Post
My tire mounter and balancing machines costs me over $10K used from Mac...when the internet buyers come in and bitch about $25 per tire to mount balance...I tell them go where you bought em!

When they ask to reset the tire light using my $6,500 SnapOn scanner for $35....they get the same response....equipment tools technology and my time costs $$$$

I sell new tires for $35 over my costs which include mounting balancing light reset and a vehicle inspection while in the air...mans gotta eat too!! Lobster once a year...I ain't greedy...I got a wall full of paper that people owe me...I could repower with a brand new Zuke 175 if I collected it all...
If my "local tire shop" played ball like you then I would have no problem buying tires from them and letting them handle it. HOWEVER the last set of Toyo's I bought from them cost me 1350 mounted, go online and find out I can get the tires for 170 a piece so THAT does piss me off.

I'm all for supporting small business but an extra 600$ to 700$ is insane.
fishinmaniac is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 05:08 AM
  #47  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Middle Sound, NC
Posts: 7,807
Default

Ask to see the tire when it is spinning on the balance machine. Amazing how many new tires are visibly not round when spinning. If you can see motion on the tread, reject the tire. It will never run smooth even with all the weight needed to "balance" it.
Lprizman likes this.
Corndog38 is online now  
Old 10-09-2019, 06:07 AM
  #48  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,158
Default

Originally Posted by Basketcase View Post
Its certainly understandable, and obviously you are not alone. But isn't there more to getting a set of new tires than just price? 100 bucks is hardly worth the trouble of even having to handle the tires/load them up and bring them somewhere. On my last set of tires, I looked online to find the tires I wanted and then went to Tire Warehouse. I told him I found the tires I wanted and needed a price. Asked him if he could do a little better (didn't mention online price, but I'm sure he knew what I was getting at) and he did. Now the tires are warrantied through him. Free flat repair. Free rotations. It may not have been the absolute best PRICE, but it certainly is the best VALUE to get tires locally. At least that's my argument.
Tires were shipped (for free) to the shop. Oil change, brake inspection and some sort of adjustment, replaced tires and even put two of the old tires that still had some meat left in the trunk for a reasonable price and timeframe. All for naught as the car was then totalled by a kid not paying attention and rearending the car two weeks later. Don't you love sinking a grand into a car and having it totalled two weeks later?
Locke N Load is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 06:28 AM
  #49  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: LBI NJ
Posts: 2,373
Default

Originally Posted by creditcardguy View Post
I bought tires from TireRack a while back then paid my local guy $100 to install with his fancy balancer. Sure enough, 2 were out of round, unbalanceable. Called TireRack they sent me 2 more and a return label. They were fine. Still a PITA so I quit buying tires online.
I had a bad Michelin from TR. My dealer installed them. Went downhill from there. I had to go to dealer at least 4 times. TR sent a replacement. It was fucked up too. So not 1 but 2 bad tires back to back. Went to 3 different places trying to get the tire balanced. It never did get 100% OK. Worst shaking between 45-65 MPH. Of course we moved the bad tire to rear which helped marginally.

I was so happy when they wore out. I had never driven car 50K with shit tire wobble. I'll never do TR again...even though that was my 4th time using them.

Local Mr Tire said I need new tread. He came in 100 dollars cheaper than TR....and he moved me to a more highway Michelin saying the Pilot 3's were now not what they used to be. I even went for the $100 warranty which includes rotate and balance for free.
Re-Bait is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 06:44 AM
  #50  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Middle Sound, NC
Posts: 7,807
Default

I am a cheap bastard. But one thing I won't go cheap on is tires. I drove a few years on bumpy tires and HATED every mile. Never again. My car and truck are both old but when I buy tires they are now top notch, and from the local tire shop. I check online and get an idea what is a good tire and the online price. Then go to the tire shop and say all you have to do is come close to the price and you have a deal. Sometimes they match, but always come close. Not worth the hassle to do tires on line. If I have a problem, just drive to the shop and they handle it. Well worth it.

Last set of Michelins on the Jetta diesel were pricey to buy, but the set went well over 100k miles. Smooth as silk the whole time until the very end. Next set were Michelins too. Grumbled at the price, but they are smoooooth and I smile.
GMW likes this.
Corndog38 is online now  
Old 10-09-2019, 07:56 AM
  #51  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC / Indian Creek, VA
Posts: 2,976
Default

Originally Posted by Onewolf View Post
I used Tire Rack a couple of times many years ago but then about 12-15 years ago I realized the local Discount Tire has basically the same prices as Tire Rack and they have provided excellent service so I use them exclusively now. I do research on TireRack.com and then purchase the tires locally at Discount Tire on 17/92 in Sanford.
I buy tires from Discount tire as well. I always shop around at Tirerack and other online sites before buying. I have not found any deals online that would save me more than about 50 bucks vs. going through discount tire. The lifetime rotation/balancing plus not having to deal with shipping makes it an easy choice.
dell30rb is online now  
Old 10-09-2019, 09:50 AM
  #52  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: winter garden fl / Tiger Ga/ New Port Richey fl
Posts: 2,495
Default

I bought 1200. Worth of fuel wheels on line for my wife’s Jeep. My regular tire shop charged me 200. To dismount and remount tires and sensors on the new wheels. They have state of the art equipment. All I cared about was not scratching the new shiny black wheels and no vibration. They were successful with both.
oceandansar is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 09:53 AM
  #53  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fort Pierce,FL
Posts: 5,267
Default

Originally Posted by Fish Haid View Post
I bought a set of 4 tires and rims for my F150 from Carid. Package deal. BF Goodrich AT and HT tires. Been noticing some vibrations since installed (less than 500 miles ago). Hadn't been out on highway until this week. Vibration really bad over 65-70. Stopped at my local tire ship where I have gone for 30 years. He said even before he took them off that they would be out of round. Said he sees a lot of out of round tires on internet package deals, particularly with BFG. Balanced the fronts (HT), but said they were both out of round. Showed me while they were spinning. Back ones (AT) - he wouldn't even try to balance the first one it was so bad. Just assumed the other rear would also be bad.

Called Carid. They do NOT warranty their tires or wheels!!! Only manufacturers warranty. Said I had to go to a place that has "RoadForce" balancing and get the printed report. Then, maybe BFG will give me new tires. So, I have to pay for this ridiculous expensive balancing. The word of my other tire guy apparently is no good.

Don't buy tires from Carid!!!
Yes I read before that tires are graded at the manufacturer. The lowest grade are sold to the biggest discounters
barrell is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 11:07 AM
  #54  
AC
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Fl.
Posts: 1,348
Default

Both tire dealers I use locally quit selling BFG. I ask why and he said because you can't find a round one
AC is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 11:56 AM
  #55  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dartmouth MA
Posts: 5,836
Default

Originally Posted by Bailey Boat View Post
We're always saying "support your local Mom and Pop gun stores", if you don't they'll go away.... What about our local tire guys??? Same analogy....
This. And when I ask the local tire shop to kick in a few bucks for a local school charity - guess what? They always pitch in. No so much DTD, TFT, Tire rack etc...

mymojo is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 12:24 PM
  #56  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: florida
Posts: 455
Default

Originally Posted by Locke N Load View Post
No offense to anyone here, but the reason people like myself go to Tirerack is because of price and price alone. I bought 4 tires and had a local mechanic install them for $80. Saved I don't know how much from going to a local tire shop. I don't even bother getting quotes anymore. Last time it was over $100 cheaper to buy online.

As a test, I need new tires for my Ram 1500 soon. I want Nitto Terra Grappler G2's. Size is 275/60-R20. Feel free to PM me the out the door price installed.
I have yet to be beat by Tire Rack on my prices. The reason shops are more expensive is because usually we are worth the extra expense. You have a face to talk to with your issues. You need your tires re-balanced..No problem. Your tires rotated, Free. We also are the ones that have our kids in the community. We are putting back what you spend with us. Has the CEO of Tire Rack donated anything to your youth soccer league, or Little League? I bet he bought another house with a big ass boat though.

Most people that come to my shop come because we have been in business for over 40 years. I know the names of at least 60 percent of my customers. Usually when you come in you come back. We aren't a corporation and the customer isn't a number. Also if you say you can get them at tire rack for $$$ I'll match it no matter what. Lose a little to earn a lot. You may tell 2-3 other people what I did. More customers if you ask me.
Lone Ranger, Re-Bait, GMW and 1 others like this.
simeoncoleman is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 12:28 PM
  #57  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Long Island,NY
Posts: 12,034
Default

Originally Posted by simeoncoleman View Post
I have yet to be beat by Tire Rack on my prices. The reason shops are more expensive is because usually we are worth the extra expense. You have a face to talk to with your issues. You need your tires re-balanced..No problem. Your tires rotated, Free. We also are the ones that have our kids in the community. We are putting back what you spend with us. Has the CEO of Tire Rack donated anything to your youth soccer league, or Little League? I bet he bought another house with a big ass boat though.

Most people that come to my shop come because we have been in business for over 40 years. I know the names of at least 60 percent of my customers. Usually when you come in you come back. We aren't a corporation and the customer isn't a number. Also if you say you can get them at tire rack for $$$ I'll match it no matter what. Lose a little to earn a lot. You may tell 2-3 other people what I did. More customers if you ask me.
I have been doing business with the same family run tire shop for the past 20 or more years and do appreciate the level of service and professionalism that your type of shop provides. My father was the same way back in the town I grew up in and only went to one shop where he also received this kind of service.
SeaJay is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 12:50 PM
  #58  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dartmouth MA
Posts: 5,836
Default

Originally Posted by simeoncoleman View Post
I have yet to be beat by Tire Rack on my prices. The reason shops are more expensive is because usually we are worth the extra expense. You have a face to talk to with your issues. You need your tires re-balanced..No problem. Your tires rotated, Free. We also are the ones that have our kids in the community. We are putting back what you spend with us. Has the CEO of Tire Rack donated anything to your youth soccer league, or Little League? I bet he bought another house with a big ass boat though.

Most people that come to my shop come because we have been in business for over 40 years. I know the names of at least 60 percent of my customers. Usually when you come in you come back. We aren't a corporation and the customer isn't a number. Also if you say you can get them at tire rack for $$$ I'll match it no matter what. Lose a little to earn a lot. You may tell 2-3 other people what I did. More customers if you ask me.
I can tell you from many years of fund raising for our local HS band that the ONLY national chains that have ever donated a penny are Wendy's and Chipotle. They have been very generous over the years. Every other national box located in our town sends it up the chain and most never respond, those that do say no. Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, BJ's, TF Tire, etc... - nada zilp. zilch. By and large the mom and pop local stores give when they are able.....
mymojo is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 02:53 PM
  #59  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 93
Default

Originally Posted by crabbinmike View Post
When some cheap ass wants me to install part they bought elsewhere I ask them if they would take a steak to outback and ask them To cook it
There's some parts that are best bought else where. I tell the mechanic straight up before though they can take it or leave it

Just had my struts done on escalade. Retail was around 3k, found them online mildly used for $500(ebay wreck pull). I would have done it myself but spring compressors scare me.
Capt Henry Morgan is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 03:23 PM
  #60  
AC
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Fl.
Posts: 1,348
Default

Originally Posted by simeoncoleman View Post
I have yet to be beat by Tire Rack on my prices. The reason shops are more expensive is because usually we are worth the extra expense. You have a face to talk to with your issues. You need your tires re-balanced..No problem. Your tires rotated, Free. We also are the ones that have our kids in the community. We are putting back what you spend with us. Has the CEO of Tire Rack donated anything to your youth soccer league, or Little League? I bet he bought another house with a big ass boat though.

Most people that come to my shop come because we have been in business for over 40 years. I know the names of at least 60 percent of my customers. Usually when you come in you come back. We aren't a corporation and the customer isn't a number. Also if you say you can get them at tire rack for $$$ I'll match it no matter what. Lose a little to earn a lot. You may tell 2-3 other people what I did. More customers if you ask me.
Could not agree more! I have 10 work trucks plus friends and family. When I need service, I need it now my local family-owned tire store independent in other words is awesome I never even shot their price because when I started using them years ago they were already extremely Fair. If I have a flat no charge, got a leaky valve stem no charge, need a rotation no charge oh, it goes on and on and on and they can have them install next day. And they repair my service truck tires same day. I can't be digging around shopping online for freaking tires. Some things are more conducive to buy online I agree but tires isn't one of them.
AC is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread