Notices

Damn mice again

Old 10-07-2019, 06:18 PM
  #1  
THT SponsorCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wisconsin And Marathon,Fl
Posts: 9,096
Received 2,507 Likes on 1,133 Posts
Default Damn mice again

Cat brought up 2 baby mice last night as a gift to my wife and dropped them in her lap as she was reading a book. . I was impressed with myself for not just cracking up. As you can guess she is on the warpath. I cannot use snap traps with the cat and a small puppy. She refuses to use the glue traps, as she witnessed a mouse in the garage squealing stuck to the glue. LOL she wanted me to come home from work to dispatch the critter. I have been looking at the electronic mouse traps that are small and the cat can't get her paw into. The reviews are all over the place. Any recommendation?.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:21 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Weymouth, Ma.
Posts: 2,348
Received 451 Likes on 290 Posts
Default

You need a couple more cats
Old 10-07-2019, 06:28 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 22,349
Received 4,456 Likes on 1,795 Posts
Default

Sorry Mike...LOLOL
Old 10-07-2019, 06:30 PM
  #4  
TTB
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,249
Received 499 Likes on 233 Posts
Default

Wife is on the warpath but refuses to use weapons. You’ve got an uphill battle on your hands son. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:35 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Martin County Florida formerly Palm Beach County
Posts: 11,555
Received 2,518 Likes on 1,429 Posts
Default

Same answer I give in all these threads


Bucket trap! Simple and works well
Old 10-07-2019, 06:43 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Anderson SC
Posts: 4,064
Received 1,235 Likes on 646 Posts
Default

Yer cats ain't hungry enough...
Old 10-07-2019, 07:04 PM
  #7  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 673
Likes: 0
Received 270 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

We kill them with the electronic traps all the time. Simple and easy
Old 10-07-2019, 08:27 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 167
Received 212 Likes on 103 Posts
Default

Can’t you keep the other animals out of the area where you set traps for a day or so? Put the traps behind obstructions where the little bastards hang out too. Mouse trap/peanut butter-problem solved in no time.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:56 PM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 81
Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

I use these wind up live catch traps. The treadle is in the middle of the hole, a paddle sweeps the mouse into a holding area. It resets after every one. Can catch many during the night.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:04 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: WA
Posts: 860
Likes: 0
Received 309 Likes on 186 Posts
Default

Use the small plastic spring loaded traps, it won’t harm the pets at all, but will still kill a mouse.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:00 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 6,659
Received 1,895 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Default

Rat Poison, job done!
Old 10-07-2019, 11:31 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,139
Received 1,367 Likes on 856 Posts
Default

Stop feeding the cat!
Old 10-08-2019, 12:40 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Down the Bayou, South Louisiana
Posts: 449
Received 1,325 Likes on 587 Posts
Default

Old 10-08-2019, 04:28 AM
  #14  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: anderson, sc
Posts: 19,211
Received 1,417 Likes on 814 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Quacktastic View Post
We kill them with the electronic traps all the time. Simple and easy

This. Put one on our back porch due to field rats enjoying dog food. So far in 2 days have killed 1 mouse and 3 rats.

Was skeptical about it but sucker works
Old 10-08-2019, 04:28 AM
  #15  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 54
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Poison and electronic repellent from Home Depot worked in our RV, although I didn’t have pets. The poison hoes in a small plastic box that a mouse hast to want to get to. They do it and you can see the satisfying green crumbs, knowing that they took the bait.

One thing with mice, I think I read that they can reproduce and double their population in just a few weeks. That means that if you have 2, soon you have 10, then 100. You can’t play with them or they will beat you. Try 2-3 dozen traps, poison. After a few days figure out spots that had no activity and move them to active locations, then add the sound repellent when they start to slow down.

​​​​​​​If you use poison you’re taking the chance that they’ll crawl off and die somewhere in your house and you might smell it. The smell only lasts a week or so. In my opinion it beats playing cat and mouse with the traps. If they multiply faster than you you catch them it will go on forever.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:40 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Martin County Florida formerly Palm Beach County
Posts: 11,555
Received 2,518 Likes on 1,429 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by amelliam View Post
Poison and electronic repellent from Home Depot worked in our RV, although I didn’t have pets. The poison hoes in a small plastic box that a mouse hast to want to get to. They do it and you can see the satisfying green crumbs, knowing that they took the bait.

One thing with mice, I think I read that they can reproduce and double their population in just a few weeks. That means that if you have 2, soon you have 10, then 100. You can’t play with them or they will beat you. Try 2-3 dozen traps, poison. After a few days figure out spots that had no activity and move them to active locations, then add the sound repellent when they start to slow down.

If you use poison you’re taking the chance that they’ll crawl off and die somewhere in your house and you might smell it. The smell only lasts a week or so. In my opinion it beats playing cat and mouse with the traps. If they multiply faster than you you catch them it will go on forever.
I believe its 3-4 weeks they double the population. One other note is they sleep 12 hours a day. So if you set a trap you need to be patient.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:07 AM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 6,419
Received 3,053 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mikeloew View Post
Cat brought up 2 baby mice last night as a gift to my wife and dropped them in her lap as she was reading a book. . I was impressed with myself for not just cracking up. As you can guess she is on the warpath. I cannot use snap traps with the cat and a small puppy. She refuses to use the glue traps, as she witnessed a mouse in the garage squealing stuck to the glue. LOL she wanted me to come home from work to dispatch the critter. I have been looking at the electronic mouse traps that are small and the cat can't get her paw into. The reviews are all over the place. Any recommendation?.
my mother uses the glue traps, she also cuts the feet off the dead rats so she can reuse the glue trap!
Old 10-08-2019, 06:19 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Martin County Florida formerly Palm Beach County
Posts: 11,555
Received 2,518 Likes on 1,429 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rolandt03 View Post
my mother uses the glue traps, she also cuts the feet off the dead rats so she can reuse the glue trap!
nice! I have a few glue traps behind the fridge for bugs and spiders. About twice a year I get a palmetto, I smash him and put the trap back
Old 10-08-2019, 06:20 AM
  #19  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the floaters . . .
Posts: 9,679
Received 3,308 Likes on 1,558 Posts
Default

bucket trap x2
Old 10-08-2019, 06:23 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Coast of America
Posts: 7,280
Received 204 Likes on 103 Posts
Default

https://www.victorpest.com/rat-zappe...-trap-rzc001-4

It has served us well for the past decade or so.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.