Notices
Like Tree13Likes

While we are talking generators

Old 09-03-2019, 12:56 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Richmond Hill, GA
Posts: 1,392
Default While we are talking generators

A few weeks before all of the hurricane craziness, I was supposed to have a generator power inlet plug added to my home. My plan is to purchase a rather large output portable generator 10KW or higher running power (not surge). Well, the electrician that was going to do the work screwed me
and never came to give estimate to begin work. So here
I am and will be running extension cords for this storm if we lose power. BUT I will be having the electrical work done once all of this passes. Enough of the background (which is my fault for not being diligent). We were sitting here discussing different generator options at work, and a coworker told me he was thinking about gettin a large dual-fuel DuroMax 13KW unit. I started looking into them (my plan was to purchase a Caterpillar RP12000 generator). They aren’t getting bad reviews and the price is a fair amount
cheaper. I know, get the quality unit, you say. I want to know real world experience/opinions on the Duromax units. Keep in mind that whatever I get will not be used for extreme or extended duty cycles - Just temporary power outages.
RipTideBBQ is offline  
Old 09-03-2019, 01:17 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Boynton Beach Islamorada
Posts: 2,566
Default

You need to tell us what you want to run...
kennyboy is offline  
Old 09-03-2019, 01:21 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Michigan's west coast
Posts: 160
Default

I have a Duromax 13k dual fuel. Used in Michigan for the occasional power outage lasting a couple of days. No issues. I have LP, so I liked the option of propane, but in reality I use rec fuel (no ethanol). It's heavy, and I found the wheel kit gets flat spots from sitting, but I put it on a wheeled moving dolly, so I can just roll it out of the garage. Runs the whole house, well, etc. No complaints at all. I try to run it monthly for a few mins, usually when puttering around the garage doing something else. Great unit for occasional use.

Last edited by tbeck7632; 09-03-2019 at 01:26 PM.
tbeck7632 is offline  
Old 09-03-2019, 01:34 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Richmond Hill, GA
Posts: 1,392
Default

Originally Posted by kennyboy View Post
You need to tell us what you want to run...
Most circuits in my home. Primarily using the AC on a limited basis to keep it somewhat comfortable, most lights (all LED), fridge, main TV in living room, microwave, ceiling fans. Won’t be using stove. 2500sqft home.
RipTideBBQ is offline  
Old 09-03-2019, 01:39 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Boynton Beach Islamorada
Posts: 2,566
Default

I have been the whole house generator route, and I moved and went smaller with a portable AC to run one room, fridge, TV, puter, micro, coffee etc. That is with two of us. If you have more in your family, then I understand the need for more AC My Generac transfer switch caught fire twice and they didn't stand behind it. I would't do it again. imho smaller is better for this subject..
kennyboy is offline  
Old 09-03-2019, 01:41 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,304
Default

I have a Duromax gasoline 5500 and it has worked flawlessly over 2 storms with multiple-day outages. I didn't run 24/7 but for many hours at a time. I would definitely buy another.
RipTideBBQ likes this.
NJFISH is offline  
Old 09-03-2019, 01:55 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fort Pierce,FL
Posts: 5,350
Default

Im not recommending it but a friend of mine and all his neighbours simply put a dryer plug on the wire from the generator and plug into their dryer outlet to energize the house. They turn off the main panel switch however I would pull the meter if I was them. My whole house doesnt run the air conditioner only the hot water heater and pool pump as far as 220 volts. I was going to buy a window unit just for the bedroom if it ever came down to it.
barrell is offline  
Old 09-03-2019, 02:01 PM
  #8  
4/0
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: OIB
Posts: 1,910
Default

Originally Posted by RipTideBBQ View Post
A few weeks before all of the hurricane craziness, I was supposed to have a generator power inlet plug added to my home. My plan is to purchase a rather large output portable generator 10KW or higher running power (not surge). Well, the electrician that was going to do the work screwed me
and never came to give estimate to begin work. So here
I am and will be running extension cords for this storm if we lose power. BUT I will be having the electrical work done once all of this passes. Enough of the background (which is my fault for not being diligent). We were sitting here discussing different generator options at work, and a coworker told me he was thinking about gettin a large dual-fuel DuroMax 13KW unit. I started looking into them (my plan was to purchase a Caterpillar RP12000 generator). They aren’t getting bad reviews and the price is a fair amount
cheaper. I know, get the quality unit, you say. I want to know real world experience/opinions on the Duromax units. Keep in mind that whatever I get will not be used for extreme or extended duty cycles - Just temporary power outages.
I was reading about these last year. I could not find much info on the engine.

We are still running on an older Generac that has been pretty faithful. Longest I had to run this one has been 2 weeks.
4/0 is offline  
Old 09-03-2019, 02:21 PM
  #9  
THT SponsorCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wisconsin And Marathon,Fl
Posts: 8,767
Default

Originally Posted by kennyboy View Post
AC My Generac transfer switch caught fire twice and they didn't stand behind it..
Did you ever find the cause? I have never heard of that happening.
mikeloew is offline  
Old 09-03-2019, 02:43 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Carolina
Posts: 21,950
Default

Originally Posted by barrell View Post
Im not recommending it but a friend of mine and all his neighbours simply put a dryer plug on the wire from the generator and plug into their dryer outlet to energize the house.
I'd rather lose food than die back feeding a dryer. But, Darwin works in many different ways.
Shag is offline  
Old 09-04-2019, 08:31 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ft. Myers, Fl
Posts: 232
Default

Originally Posted by Shag View Post
I'd rather lose food than die back feeding a dryer. But, Darwin works in many different ways.
Please explain how using the dryer plug AFTER opening main breaker is a recipe for certain death?
RIDE2GETHER is offline  
Old 09-04-2019, 08:42 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 11,270
Default

Originally Posted by RIDE2GETHER View Post
Please explain how using the dryer plug AFTER opening main breaker is a recipe for certain death?
Tangling up with either end of the cord. There is a way to do it and do so relatively safely......if you know what you are doing. That said, it's extremely inexpensive to do it the correct/safe/legal way, so why not go that route? I've done it before myself in a pinch, but utilized breaker lockouts to insure nothing could possibly get flipped and injure myself or anyone else. Seriously doubt the average DIY person is going to have a lock out set in their toolbox though.

autobaun70 is offline  
Old 09-04-2019, 09:24 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 90
Default

I’ve been using Duromax generators for years. They cheap and very reliable. I put a 50 amp plug on the side of the house. Picked up a 50 amp rv extension cord off amazon, than I just plug the house in when then power goes out. Just need to install a 50 amp breaker that locks out the main. No need to get a transfer switch. Do suggest getting a surge protector. eBay has deals on the 10,000 watts from time to time. Seen it as low as $650.
john185 is offline  
Old 09-04-2019, 10:22 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,894
Default

Originally Posted by RIDE2GETHER View Post
Please explain how using the dryer plug AFTER opening main breaker is a recipe for certain death?
Good god man, if you need to ask this question, do not hook up a generator using a hot male plug. Also, please don't do any wiring whatsoever.

LOL, what could possibly go wrong with a double ended hot cable.
shadco likes this.
GravyBoat is offline  
Old 09-04-2019, 10:30 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 11,270
Default

Originally Posted by GravyBoat View Post
Good god man, if you need to ask this question, do not hook up a generator using a hot male plug. Also, please don't do any wiring whatsoever.

LOL, what could possibly go wrong with a double ended hot cable.
Second.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 09-04-2019, 02:56 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SE Alabama & NW Florida
Posts: 180
Default

Ford / Pulsar 11,050/9,000-Watt Dual Fuel
Alligator4014 is offline  
Old 09-04-2019, 03:10 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 239
Default

See if your electric utility will install a Generlink meter socket adapter that you purchase and have them install. No additional wiring and you are then feeding the entire main panel.
rotaryjohn is offline  
Old 09-04-2019, 03:18 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 4,448
Default

Originally Posted by GravyBoat View Post
Good god man, if you need to ask this question, do not hook up a generator using a hot male plug. Also, please don't do any wiring whatsoever.

LOL, what could possibly go wrong with a double ended hot cable.

You make all your connections with the main breaker in the house OFF and the generator not running.

When your done with genny power 1st step is to shut down the genny, last step is always turning on the main breaker.
Mpellet is offline  
Old 09-04-2019, 03:20 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somewhere NC
Posts: 8,215
Default

well...now I want to know why backfeeding thru a 30amp plug is so dangerous, assuming the homeowner opens the main and knows what they are doing?
cfarmd is offline  
Old 09-04-2019, 03:34 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Carolina
Posts: 21,950
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
That said, it's extremely inexpensive to do it the correct/safe/legal way, so why not go that route?


Shag is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread