Notices

34 Dead In CA Boat Fire

Old 09-02-2019, 06:15 AM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: On The Tenna Sea
Posts: 13,695
Received 1,018 Likes on 522 Posts
Default 34 Dead In CA Boat Fire

Details still coming in. Very bad deal.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/people-ki...ta-cruz-island
Old 09-02-2019, 06:34 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 16,268
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,790 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
Details still coming in. Very bad deal.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/people-ki...ta-cruz-island
Was just about to post !

https://ktla.com/2019/09/02/crews-re...d-coast-guard/

Ugh. Very sad. Would like some details as to how it happened.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:55 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: On The Tenna Sea
Posts: 13,695
Received 1,018 Likes on 522 Posts
Default

Details are extremely sketchy, but it seems losing that many people would indicate an explosion.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:02 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,710
Received 494 Likes on 334 Posts
Default

The Conception. https://www.truthaquatics.com/
Old 09-02-2019, 07:20 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Newport Beach, CA. USA
Posts: 1,575
Received 286 Likes on 174 Posts
Default

Dive boat. Call came in at 3:28 am of vessel on fire.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:29 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: FL/NJ
Posts: 1,000
Received 164 Likes on 78 Posts
Default

One article said five crew members were able to get off but all of the divers were trapped below deck. Terrible.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:30 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: One bridge south of Clearwater Beach
Posts: 1,663
Likes: 0
Received 978 Likes on 483 Posts
Default

First, what a tragedy....RIP. Second, something is wrong here. I have been on many charter dive boats and live aboards and those numbers are wrong. Never have I seen a live aboard at 75' be rated for that many divers. Most live aboards in that range are rated for 8-10 divers. That would be a high number, but possible with a day boat, but I have never seen one that long or that carried that many passengers.....the large ones are in the 40'ish range and carry 20 divers.

How are you going to get 30+ people comfortably below deck? My gut instinct is that this is a human smuggling boat running under the guise of a dive boat.

Last edited by Diverboy; 09-02-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:47 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 5,536
Received 3,428 Likes on 1,642 Posts
Default

Speculation but a big dive boat like that may have had a mixing station with onboard nitrox mixing capabilities or even oxygen boosting capabilities for CCR support. Not a big stretch for an explosion/intense fire to occur if those sort of activities were taking place onboard......
Old 09-02-2019, 07:52 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,323
Received 1,133 Likes on 631 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Diverboy View Post
First, what a tragedy....RIP. Second, something is wrong here. I have been on many charter dive boats and live aboards and those numbers are wrong. Never have I seen a live aboard at 75' be rated for that many divers. Most live aboards in that range are rated for 8-10 divers. That would be a high number, but possible with a day boat, but I have never seen one that long or that carried that many passengers.....the large ones are in the 40'ish range and carry 20 divers.

How are you going to get 30+ people comfortably below deck? My gut instinct is that this is a human smuggling boat running under the guise of a dive boat.
If you poke around this site you can see that it has a bunk room with room for over 30 divers.

https://www.truthaquatics.com/

More of a budget short trip liveaboard than what most of us have done...

<edit> bunk room, looks like one way out (must have emergency way as well I bet)...

https://www.truthaquatics.com/conception/

Last edited by ericinmich; 09-02-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:53 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,710
Received 494 Likes on 334 Posts
Default

The Conception reportedly specs out with 46 passenger bunks.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:00 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: One bridge south of Clearwater Beach
Posts: 1,663
Likes: 0
Received 978 Likes on 483 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ericinmich View Post
If you poke around this site you can see that it has a bunk room with room for over 30 divers.

https://www.truthaquatics.com/

More of a budget short trip liveaboard than what most of us have done...

<edit> bunk room, looks like one way out (must have emergency way as well I bet)...

https://www.truthaquatics.com/conception/

Wow, I stand corrected....talk about a cattle boat. I wouldn't do well on that boat.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:24 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,198
Likes: 0
Received 1,579 Likes on 828 Posts
Default

Very, Very sad.


Name:  5Ou4av.jpg
Views: 3470
Size:  129.1 KB

Name:  B62BV4.jpg
Views: 3402
Size:  74.1 KB

Name:  LSGLx3.jpg
Views: 3355
Size:  75.5 KB

Name:  cvR4Bz.jpg
Views: 3423
Size:  124.1 KB

Name:  vwGWfO.jpg
Views: 3356
Size:  50.6 KB


Name:  a9n1rw.jpg
Views: 1502
Size:  132.7 KB

Name:  XcZL7s.jpg
Views: 3356
Size:  71.1 KB


Name:  98EINe.jpg
Views: 2805
Size:  105.1 KB

Last edited by semperfifishing; 09-03-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:28 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,323
Received 1,133 Likes on 631 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Diverboy View Post
Wow, I stand corrected....talk about a cattle boat. I wouldn't do well on that boat.
Agreed.

Sounds like it burned to the water line and now sunk. The hull, which I assume to have been steel, had holes burned through it. A lot of diesel and maybe O2 from nitroz station, explosion and/or fast fire.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:42 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 905
Likes: 0
Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts
Default

Oh man....what a tragedy....

When I first learned of this I figured that people must have been asleep below decks. I envisioned cabins below with a centered hallway. Looking at the drawing of the bunk layout, it looks like a disaster waiting to happen. It looks like only one way out with no large portholes or hatchways. No way I would go aboard if that was the case. I hope I'm corrected and these people at least had a chance with a second exit-way.

With five crew members surviving, we will hopefully get a full report of what happened and what went wrong.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:08 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,145
Received 756 Likes on 489 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TonyStark View Post
Oh man....what a tragedy....
When I first learned of this I figured that people must have been asleep below decks. I envisioned cabins below with a centered hallway. Looking at the drawing of the bunk layout, it looks like a disaster waiting to happen. It looks like only one way out with no large portholes or hatchways. No way I would go aboard if that was the case. I hope I'm corrected and these people at least had a chance with a second exit-way.
With five crew members surviving, we will hopefully get a full report of what happened and what went wrong.
From the vessel website, I can't tell if the cabin area is the location with the 3 windows on each side, or that area is the galley above the bunk area, and the bunks are in the hull and below water line area.
If it is the latter, how in the hell did the USCG certify this vessel for 46 sleeping accommodations and no front and back exits to the only deck that is open to the weather??? And, if that is true, expect the trial lawyers to be suing the USCG for hundreds of millions of dollars, as I expect the vessel has $10 million in insurance.
USCG site says vessel was made of wood, so if my guess that the accommodations space was below deck is correct, it is even worse.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:16 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,323
Received 1,133 Likes on 631 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LI32 View Post
From the vessel website, I can't tell if the cabin area is the location with the 3 windows on each side, or that area is the galley above the bunk area, and the bunks are in the hull and below water line area.
If it is the latter, how in the hell did the USCG certify this vessel for 46 sleeping accommodations and no front and back exits to the only deck that is open to the weather??? And, if that is true, expect the trial lawyers to be suing the USCG for hundreds of millions of dollars, as I expect the vessel has $10 million in insurance.
USCG site says vessel was made of wood, so if my guess that the accommodations space was below deck is correct, it is even worse.
3 area with the windows is the galley, some other pics show that. I'm sure that there was some other hatches opposite the stairs designated as emergency exits, but I think things went bad so quickly that it didn't matter...
Old 09-02-2019, 09:20 AM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South East Pa
Posts: 9,571
Received 1,006 Likes on 534 Posts
Default

Crazy it sunk 20 feet from sure in 65 ft of water. They are searching the shoreline for people
Old 09-02-2019, 09:20 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: One bridge south of Clearwater Beach
Posts: 1,663
Likes: 0
Received 978 Likes on 483 Posts
Default

The area with the 3 windows would be the galley with separate cushioned seating (according to their website), with the bunks below (with no windows or escape routes) and on top of the galley is the wheel house and probably where the crew slept. The engine and fill station compressor would have been on the same level as the bunks, below the open rear deck. Still scratching my head on how that boat got certified for 46 passengers.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:20 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Largo, FL
Posts: 2,026
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TonyStark View Post
Oh man....what a tragedy....

When I first learned of this I figured that people must have been asleep below decks. I envisioned cabins below with a centered hallway. Looking at the drawing of the bunk layout, it looks like a disaster waiting to happen. It looks like only one way out with no large portholes or hatchways. No way I would go aboard if that was the case. I hope I'm corrected and these people at least had a chance with a second exit-way.

With five crew members surviving, we will hopefully get a full report of what happened and what went wrong.
I've heard mixed reports on status of emergency exit from people that have been on the boat. Some say there was an emergency exit toward the rear of the bunkhouse, but others don't recall ever hearing about it in the briefing. If there is one, it seems it's not quite obvious when in the bunk room.

Definitely tragic.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:27 AM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,328
Received 411 Likes on 247 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Diverboy View Post
First, what a tragedy....RIP. Second, something is wrong here. I have been on many charter dive boats and live aboards and those numbers are wrong. Never have I seen a live aboard at 75' be rated for that many divers. Most live aboards in that range are rated for 8-10 divers. That would be a high number, but possible with a day boat, but I have never seen one that long or that carried that many passengers.....the large ones are in the 40'ish range and carry 20 divers.

How are you going to get 30+ people comfortably below deck? My gut instinct is that this is a human smuggling boat running under the guise of a dive boat.
It was a day dive boat that does 1 - 5 day trips from what I recall. Since this was a holiday weekend it was at max capacity and probably running a multi-day trip. Sad indeed. The crew sleeps up top and all passengers are below deck. May they RIP.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.