The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Dockside Chat (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat-18/)
-   -   Humblebrag discussion ... (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/1031377-humblebrag-discussion.html)

Tireless 08-20-2019 03:33 PM

Humblebrag discussion ...
 
Labeling someone as a humble bragger serves what purpose? Is it intended to shame someone for having more than you do?

chrispnet 08-20-2019 03:35 PM


Originally Posted by Tireless (Post 12848304)
Labelling someone as a humble bragger serves what purpose? Is it intended to shame someone for having more than you do?

donít be a social justice warrior...
youíre perilously close to virtue signaling!

Lprizman 08-20-2019 03:37 PM

If you worked for your cool stuff.....run it!!!
jay lenos garage comes to mind.....no bigger humble brag than that!!!!
Tough shit if your jealous!!!

Tireless 08-20-2019 03:37 PM


Originally Posted by chrispnet (Post 12848313)

donít be a social justice warrior...
youíre perilously close to virtue signaling!

i am the extreme opposite of a SJW.

chrispnet 08-20-2019 03:39 PM


Originally Posted by Tireless (Post 12848320)
i am the extreme opposite of a SJW.

thatís what they all say...

bamaboy473 08-20-2019 03:40 PM


Originally Posted by Tireless (Post 12848304)
Labelling someone as a humble bragger serves what purpose? Is it intended to shame someone for having more than you do?

To answer that question properly, I had to take a break from working out on my Bowflex 6000 that's on the aft-deck of the tender, because the main ship is getting new 4000HP engines, and the darn thing takes 4 of them! Geez, hard to stay afloat with all these expenses my accountants are hitting my finance guys with. Might have to sell a few companies to make ends meet this month....

chrispnet 08-20-2019 03:40 PM


Originally Posted by bamaboy473 (Post 12848335)
To answer that question properly, I had to take a break from working out on my Bowflex 6000 that's on the aft-deck of the tender, because the main ship is getting new 4000HP engines, and the darn thing takes 4 of them! Geez, hard to stay afloat with all these expenses my accountants are hitting my finance guys with. Might have to sell a few companies to make ends meet this month....

well done!

IMPLiberty 08-20-2019 03:41 PM


Originally Posted by Tireless (Post 12848304)
Labeling someone as a humble bragger serves what purpose? Is it intended to shame someone for having more than you do?

Probably has more to do with the fact that a lot of the humble bragging is completely pointless to the actual question/conversation. Personally I'll notice it and maybe even call it out. It's more of a lighthearted jab verse an actual call out. Not jealous, I applaud anyone who works hard and has nice things to show for it!

chrispnet 08-20-2019 03:42 PM


Originally Posted by Tireless (Post 12848304)
Labeling someone as a humble bragger serves what purpose? Is it intended to shame someone for having more than you do?

impossible...humility prevents me from saying anymore.

Searosis 08-20-2019 03:45 PM


Originally Posted by Tireless (Post 12848304)
Labeling someone as a humble bragger serves what purpose? Is it intended to shame someone for having more than you do?

YES. At least on THT it does. If you ever show any signs of financial success the axes and pitchforks come out. Sad reality of today's culture. If you work hard and have nice things you are a braggart and should be giving all your hard earned dollars to those who are less "fortunate".

chrispnet 08-20-2019 03:47 PM


Originally Posted by Searosis (Post 12848358)
YES. At least on THT it does. If you ever show any signs of financial success the axes and pitchforks come out. Sad reality of today's culture. If you work hard and have nice things you are a braggart and should be giving all your hard earned dollars to those who are less fortunate.

you pegged it!

Eastport205 08-20-2019 03:49 PM

Humble bragging is so natural, so subtle that sometimes we have to be reminded.

chrispnet 08-20-2019 03:50 PM


Originally Posted by Eastport205 (Post 12848374)
Humble bragging is so natural, so subtle that sometimes we have to be reminded.

or applauded!

NCSUboater 08-20-2019 03:55 PM


Originally Posted by IMPLiberty (Post 12848341)

Probably has more to do with the fact that a lot of the humble bragging is completely pointless to the actual question/conversation. Personally I'll notice it and maybe even call it out. It's more of a lighthearted jab verse an actual call out. Not jealous, I applaud anyone who works hard and has nice things to show for it!

Yup, correct answer. I, too, applaud everyone who works hard and has toys and other things. Not a thing wrong with that. It's definitely obvious I run with a far different crowd than many here. I'll sometimes make a comment about it...not jealousy, just a light-hearted jab as you say.

I just think the details that are sometimes added that aren't pertinent are funny:

"This weekend we were on our way to the shore house in our F-eleven thousand platinum and I got a call on my iPhone XR400 from my boat mechanic saying engine #2 had a scratch on the cowling. Anyone know the paint color for a Yamaha 350? I'll pop open my MacBook pro and order it and get it sent to our place on the Gulf and have him take care of it"

Vs:

"Anyone know what paint color Yamaha uses on its cowlings?"

See the difference....it's just funny. And now that it's a thing I notice it every time and chuckle.

Sometimes I'll even forward it to my lawyer... Figure he could use a break from all the paperwork of the sales of my many businesses, but for the nearly 250k I'm about to pay him he shouldn't be taking any breaks!

Lprizman 08-20-2019 03:56 PM

Recommendations to remove these trees from my front yard view.....
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...ccf36ace03.jpg
Need a new dock built also...will pay straight $$$ homey!!

I'm sitting on my custom granite steps....while my Arthur is preparing the steak tips over egg noodles...hand made with 7 cheese garlic bread on the veranda


NCSUboater 08-20-2019 03:58 PM


Originally Posted by Lprizman (Post 12848408)
Recommendations to remove these trees from my front yard view.....
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...ccf36ace03.jpg
Need a new dock built also...will pay straight $$$ homey!!

I'm sitting on my custom granite steps....while my Arthur is preparing the steak tips over egg noodles...hand made with 7 cheese garlic bread on the veranda

Having traffic between you and the water is for poor people. Sucks to suck.

:grin:

THT Mod 7 08-20-2019 04:00 PM

Personally I find it annoying. And I have the final say.

THT Mod 7 08-20-2019 04:02 PM

How’s that for a humble brag

Eastport205 08-20-2019 04:03 PM


Originally Posted by Lprizman (Post 12848408)
Recommendations to remove these trees from my front yard view.....
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...ccf36ace03.jpg
Need a new dock built also...will pay straight $$$ homey!!

I'm sitting on my custom granite steps....while my Arthur is preparing the steak tips over egg noodles...hand made with 7 cheese garlic bread on the veranda

I'd come up with my 12 man crew, replete with dock builders but alas we're just to busy right now .

Lorne Greene 08-20-2019 04:03 PM

I don't think there is an actual whole lot of humblebrag on this site, people making fun of it sure and maybe one or two people who are oversensitive to it but I don't see a whole lot of it here. Yes boats and toys and homes cost money but discussing them is not necessarily a humblebrag. Humblebrag is mostly an Instagram thing from what I have seen, I don't think anyone here is looking for THT fame or Instagram fame.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.